|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wheel Bearings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/22 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

I don't get all the concern about repacking bearings. OP has 800 miles since serviced. How often do any of you repack the front bearings on your car or truck?
Its the same bearing set up.

Not the same ball game! The front bearings on a car or truck do not see any of the huge side loadings that double axle trailers put on their bearings when they turn or back into a campsite. If the trailer wheels turned like a cars, then the side loadings would not be there and the recommended service interval would likely be much longer than it is now.
Really it is about the same. On our class 8 trucks and trailers we would check and service bearings at about 100K miles. True the bearings are bigger but so is the load. I'm not a rookie mechanic as you can tell from my profile and I do believe some folks take the bearing service a little to far.

Barney...You need to take a ride with me in my IROCZ, and then tell me the front wheel bearings do not see huge side forces. Our trailer tires have very little grip compared to the high performance tires on a performance car. And grip on the road surface is the limiting factor on the force the bearings will see.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/22 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be going to oil bath hubs at the next bearing service.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/22 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heh Heh, you guys with the class 8 trucks and IROCZ's must surely understand that we are talking about normal people that drive regular cars and trucks - right? I agree that the front axle bearing loads could be higher in those vehicles but that is not what the discussion is about. Come on man, be realistic![emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/22 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

I don't get all the concern about repacking bearings. OP has 800 miles since serviced. How often do any of you repack the front bearings on your car or truck?
Its the same bearing set up.

Not the same ball game! The front bearings on a car or truck do not see any of the huge side loadings that double axle trailers put on their bearings when they turn or back into a campsite. If the trailer wheels turned like a cars, then the side loadings would not be there and the recommended service interval would likely be much longer than it is now.

I don't know about you but I don't corner nearly as hard with the trailer connected.

Backing into a site, it's maybe 50ft of low speed rolling. I doubt it's going to build up much heat and the forces are likely a lot lower than hard cornering in a car. I also typically pull forward a few feet to put a board under the low side, so any residual side loading gets relieved.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/22 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Heh Heh, you guys with the class 8 trucks and IROCZ's must surely understand that we are talking about normal people that drive regular cars and trucks - right? I agree that the front axle bearing loads could be higher in those vehicles but that is not what the discussion is about. Come on man, be realistic![emoticon]
Barney
The point is they ALL use tapered oppossed bearings. In the case of the class 8. larger ones and in my IROCZ smaller ones that typical TTs. There are no extreme forces that are unique to TTs. In fact TT bearings actually live a pretty easy life.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Wheel Bearings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.