RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Cost of EV Batteries

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cost of EV Batteries

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/20/22 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

No the driver of the car parked at the EV charging station is off having dinner and drinks and not worried about coming back anytime soon!
I wouldn't know. I charge at home.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/22 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

2oldman wrote:

The best part of owning an EV is not having to pull into a gas station and try to find a pump where there's not an empty car parked while the driver is inside shopping.


No the driver of the car parked at the EV charging station is off having dinner and drinks and not worried about coming back anytime soon!


Yep. If we are on the move we’ll hit a V3 supercharger. But if we are having dinner or even a lunch when pulling the trailer we’ll use the App, find a nice slow 50 kw DC charger and not worry about having to be back in 20 minutes. The app is good for that. We typically count on an hour or so for those chargers.

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/20/22 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

we’ll use the App, find a nice slow 50 kw DC charger and not worry about having to be back in 20 minutes.
Have you considered carrying a Level 2 charger with you to be able to use a campground 50a service? (Hopefully you'd never need to). That said, perhaps charging stations have those outlets already.. I wouldn't know since I've never been to one.

* This post was edited 08/20/22 04:26pm by 2oldman *

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/22 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

we’ll use the App, find a nice slow 50 kw DC charger and not worry about having to be back in 20 minutes.
Have you considered carrying a Level 2 charger with you to be able to use a campground 50a service? (Hopefully you'd never need to)


Yah for sure. We do a lot of dry camping so not always an option. But when we do get a powered site it’s quite often at a 30 amp site so the charging is at max 24 amp at 120 volt. Still, good for a 30 percent or so top up overnight.

Hard to see in the pic but we are hooked up with our level 2 EVSE here. The other side of that equation is we never hook more than one thing to the pedestal at the same time so we go thru more propane on the trailer. [emoticon]. Hot water etc. This was somewhere in Northern ontario. Can’t remember the name of the park.

[image]

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/20/22 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Yah for sure. We do a lot of dry camping so not always an option. But when we do get a powered site it’s quite often at a 30 amp site so the charging is at max 24 amp at 120 volt. Still, good for a 30 percent or so top up overnight.
Ah, so it is an actual tow vehicle.. cool.

So your level 2 charger can function as a level 1?

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/22 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Yah for sure. We do a lot of dry camping so not always an option. But when we do get a powered site it’s quite often at a 30 amp site so the charging is at max 24 amp at 120 volt. Still, good for a 30 percent or so top up overnight.
Ah, so it is an actual tow vehicle.. cool.

So your level 2 charger can function as a level 1?


Yah, it can be a level 1 or level 2 EVSE. This is how it does it. All EVSE's are the same wether its Tesla, Ford, GM, BMW...doesn't matter. They all use J17772 protocol. Tesla uses a different physical connector but its still the same protocol so everyone can use any ones EVSE. With the Tesla you use a little adaptor for making it work with everybody else but that's no biggy and there are a couple reasons for them having a unique connecter. Thats another topic. The adapter comes with the car.

Anyway, the Tesla EVSE uses a series of dongles so it can plug into various sources like stove plugs, TT30 plugs, Dryer plugs, welder plugs, household plugs, 20 amp household plugs etc. I'll put up a pic. We have the most common ones we use for camping. 14-50, TT30, 5-15 and 5 -20. The way it works is the dongle plugs into the EVSE (see the pic) and the dongle has a little chip in it that tells the EVSE the max it can draw from any given circuit. So if its a 14-50 it tells the EVSE this is a 240 volt 50 amp plug so don't draw anymore than 32 amps. (Yes I know that 40 is available but the dongle is programmed for 32 amps). If you plug into a TT30 plug in a campground the dongle tells the EVSE that it is a 30 amp 120 volt circuit and not to draw anymore than 24 amps. etc etc etc .

But it gets better. If the campground voltage starts to drop lets say from 120 down to 109 volts ish, the EVSE senses this and tells the car to cut its current draw to either 18 amps or 12 amps depending on the severity of the drop. Kinda cool.

Anyway, here are a few pics. The first one is of the dongles that we carry with us when camping. They all get used from time to time, or at least if we are at a powered site and they allow charging...which is everywhere so far.

[image]

This is the little adapter they give you to plug into L1 or L2 non tesla EVSE's. There is a similar one so non teslas can use Tesla EVSE's. Handy. Without getting into it Tesla uses the same connector for AC and DC. Everybody else uses separate plugs for both. Thats another conversation.

[image]

Hope that helps. I'm not always good at explaining all this stuff as I assume the reader knows either too much or too little. [emoticon]

Cheers

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2011

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 08/20/22 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's okay, just read where Calif is requesting residents to limit electric use because of the heat and heavy power use. My how are they going to charge those EVs.


2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Online
Posted: 08/20/22 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Hope that helps. I'm not always good at explaining all this stuff as I assume the reader knows either too much or too little
It does, thanks. I know as little as anyone. Only had my EV a couple weeks but I'm really impressed with it.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/20/22 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Hope that helps. I'm not always good at explaining all this stuff as I assume the reader knows either too much or too little
It does, thanks. I know as little as anyone. Only had my EV a couple weeks but I'm really impressed with it.


Congrats. What did you get?

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/20/22 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

That's okay, just read where Calif is requesting residents to limit electric use because of the heat and heavy power use. My how are they going to charge those EVs.
Been saying to give the appliances the afternoon off since the 1960s. What is your point? Maybe EVs can charge before 3pm when solar power is excessively abondent?


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Cost of EV Batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.