|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> no noise generators

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
relaxin

Fenwick, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hello fellow campers.
with some parks up here now banning generators, some in designated areas and some outright, and the fact that getting a electric serviced site is getting harder and harder during peak season, has anyone tried these new power supplies
back up power
theres this company and another

other company

keep in mind prices are in CA dollars, they are probably 1/4 the price in the US.

Just wondering if this is a possible solution to running a generator, it may not run the A/C very long but up here we can get by without that and the microwave, and run the fridge on propane, just need the lights and electronics pumps, fans and maybe some music for a 3 day weekend. perhaps the tv for a movie on a rainy day.

if you have one let me know how it works for you.

Relaxin, hikin, canoin, enjoyin life
headin down the road with a 29' reflection, canoe, camera, & hammock. 2022 GMC extended cab 6.6 litre gasser.
Rug rats grown and gone, just me and my beautiful little lady.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/22 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More batteries is cheaper…even Lithium batteries. Power stations are just fancy batteries and they too must be recharged in some way. One of the models is priced at $4500 for 3600 watt hours!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I felt I needed to have backup power, I'd spend the money on Lithium batteries installed in the trailer, and solar cells. A whole big bunch cheaper than one of those things. Those are just big battery backups, with built-in inverter, which will have to be recharged somehow.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/22 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not using the AC or microwave (or other heat producing appliance), then do you really need more power at all? Maybe just a bigger capacity house battery will work fine.

Before putting money out on back up power, I would do a test run in the driveway or a local campsite with electrical. Just don't hook up the electrical and see how long you can go over a three day weekend with just the house battery. THEN you can decide if spending money on more power is needed or not. And how much more power you need.

For me, my RV fridges don't use any electricity when running on propane, so my only electrical use is the pump, lights and charging electronic devices. I can go 16 days without running low on battery. I run out of fresh water and gray/black tank space long before my electricity.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/22 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I build off grid solar systems for a living. I have a few customers who have tried these types of things. They must not have been satisfactory or they wouldn't have called me to put in a full scale permanently installed system for their cabin.
Your right, it won't run an air conditioner for more than an hour or so. I would focus on improving the system build into your RV. Get a larger battery bank, some solar panels, charge controller, inverter, etc. It will cost less than the portable unit, be more convenient, and probably be more effective if designed and installed right.

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/22 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember your post title…power stations don’t “generate” anything. It’s a trick marketing word.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is an overpriced solar set up.
Buy yourself 600 watts of solar with a charge controller and inverter for under $1200 and you are good to go.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

That is an overpriced solar set up.
Buy yourself 600 watts of solar with a charge controller and inverter for under $1200 and you are good to go.
Very overpriced considering it doesn't include any solar cells. So it's not really a solar set up, it's a battery backup, period.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/22 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

relaxin wrote:

if you have one let me know how it works for you.
I built my own. Has more power and recharged with solar. Works great.

The packaged units should work well for those that need plug and play.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/22 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are actually some RV manufacturers who are now looking into building units without generators and replacing them with lithium-ion batteries, DC powered A/C units and utilizing the secondary high output chassis alternator for faster battery recharge.

Phoenix Cruiser is building a prototype on their TRX model which I don't think they have a customer for just yet, or at least they didn't the last time I chatted with them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> no noise generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.