RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: New smartphone direct-to-Starlink satellite service

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New smartphone direct-to-Starlink satellite service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After Katrina in south Louisiana land lines were out of service as poles and wires were down, cell phones were out of service due to cell towers and equipment being out. This was not a short term problem. My employer sent a satellite phone for my use. I was only able to connect to one site and then only for a matter of seconds before disconnect. While discussing the problem I was informed that the military had sucked up all the satellite time.

Now when the general population is trying to use this what do you think will happen?

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/22 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exciting news indeed! No "dead spots" would be wonderful.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

After Katrina in south Louisiana land lines were out of service as poles and wires were down, cell phones were out of service due to cell towers and equipment being out. This was not a short term problem. My employer sent a satellite phone for my use. I was only able to connect to one site and then only for a matter of seconds before disconnect. While discussing the problem I was informed that the military had sucked up all the satellite time.

Now when the general population is trying to use this what do you think will happen?

Maybe additional satellites will be deployed to meet demand?

SpaceX is going to be spitting these new bigger satellites into LEO like a PEZ dispenser - they're going to be mass-produced, in the thousands. (Their FCC filing specified up to 30,000 of them.)

Compare that number with the dozen or so satellites currently being used for satellite phone service.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

How the heck are they going to use 1/10 of a watt to transmit to low earth orbit??

Essentially, a new generation of satellites, bigger, more powerful. Read the link in my other post here.

I can understand receiving a signal from a more powerful satellite, but how is 1/10 of a watt going to "reply"?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/22 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I can understand receiving a signal from a more powerful satellite, but how is 1/10 of a watt going to "reply"?
I read there are new satellites with larger antenna for this.
Maybe the phone would know if there is no ground service to up the wattage some just to send a text. No streaming movies during the initial roll out.

SpaceX has already done the impossible in so many other areas... this was inevitable.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

wonder how that cell phone signal gets TO the satellite?

Same way it gets to a tower... You might think that to talk to a satellite you need lots and lots of power... NOPE. Though I've never done it.. Many Ham radio operators talk to satellites or even the International space station using 5 watts or less...(Yes there are ham radios on the ISS and all the astronauts occupying it are licensed Ambattur radio operators)

Though I've never talked to the ISS. I have heard their transmitter (Full scale) sending what is called Slow Scan TV (30 seconds per frame instead of 30 frames per second) Very strong signal.
You see when it comes to radios.. Height is Might and the Satellites.. they got the height.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Increasing the receiving gain of the antenna on the satellite reduces the amount of transmit power required from the smartphone.

Having big "ears" makes it easier to "hear" weak signals.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

about 52 db of gain I think for the gain on the satellite--if I understood the article I read.

That may be enough for leo.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/22 11:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned in the Ars Technica article previously posted, AST Space Mobile is also working on a satellite design that "talks" directly to terrestrial smartphones.

Like the SpaceX scheme, it doesn't require any software or hardware upgrades to the smartphones.

Unlike the SpaceX scheme, there is no plan to deploy up to 30,000 of them.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/22 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is great news. I am curious as where all these SpaceX satellites will be made in what state??? EM, SpaceX and Tesla does it better. Amazing good show.

* This post was edited 08/27/22 06:39am by NamMedevac 70 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> New smartphone direct-to-Starlink satellite service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.