RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yellowstone Update

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/22 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WinMinnie02 wrote:

Nice info on Yellowstone. Rving for 20+ years never had an interest to visit so call bucket list including Yellowstone, but may one day visit. National Geographics on TV is fine. These places are so crowded so we RV and visit other great places in our great country that don't make it on the bucket list. Rving boondock is our preference over crowded campgrounds.

NatGeo is nice but doesn't do it justice compared to the real thing.

If you are worried about crowds, get in the RV and head out today. The pictures you see of 50-100cars lined up to see a buffalo...they aren't here now. Talked to a ranger and he said they are running about 1/3 what they were last year this time.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

buckhorn13

Amador County, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/22 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great update. I’ll be in GTNP 9/2 to 9/8 and in Grant,Madison,Canyon, FB camps 9/8 to 9/15. With the heatwave in the west, hopefully not to many wildfires breakout.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pack dinner to eat on the tailgate. Go out to Lamar Valley and stay out past dark. It is the American Serengeti. Drive under the speed limit in the dark going back to your rig. It is the best thing you can do in Yellowstone without going into the backcountry.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go out to Lamar Valley and stay out past dark. It is the American Serengeti.

Lamar Valley is currently closed to public access due to the flooding damage. However the road between Tower Junction and Slough Creek is now open without a permit. However, per the Yellowstone website: This road corridor is essentially a dead-end, and people driving large vehicles (buses, long towing units etc.) are asked to be aware that turnaround areas along the Slough Creek Campground Road are limited.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Pack dinner to eat on the tailgate. Go out to Lamar Valley and stay out past dark. It is the American Serengeti. Drive under the speed limit in the dark going back to your rig. It is the best thing you can do in Yellowstone without going into the backcountry.

Did Lamar Valley the other morning. You have to get a pass (not hard and only $2 for a vehicle).

The passes come for either the morning or afternoon. Staying after dark isn't an option. Though there were tour companies that were coming out before the gates were open to regular people (around 7:30am)...not sure if they get special access.

It was nice but only saw buffalo in the valley. Some of the tour folks said they saw wolves but on the far ridge like a mile away but they had left before we got a chance to see them.

On the way back, though had a great bear sighting. Adult Black Bear wandered up the hillside crossed about 15ft behind the truck and kept going up hill. We circled around to see if we could catch another view and then he came back down the hill in front of the truck. Wandered on the road for a couple minutes, looked back at us and then wandered back down the hill.

We've had better luck in Haden Valley this week. Buffalo are almost a nuisance. See Elk including big bulls with full racks every day (often within 30-50ft), had a coyote trot along about 40ft from the truck. Even saw a martin cross the road.

And the really nice thing is at most, there have been maybe 10 cars lined up a couple of times. Most of the time it's a car or two, so if you are trying to get elsewhere, it doesn't delay you more than a minute or so.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did Lamar Valley the other morning. You have to get a pass (not hard and only $2 for a vehicle).

Per Yellowstone's website as of yesterday the valley was not open.

Lamar Valley closed to public

The Northeast Entrance Road between Lamar Valley and the barrier near Warm Creek (2 miles from the Northeast Entrance), is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and foot traffic while major construction repairs are made. This section of road is an active construction zone, and the closure is expected to stay in place until Oct. 15 to allow contractors to complete work prior to winter.

Sounds like it's more of a partial closure than it being fully closed off. Guess when I'm there this month I'll just have to see for myself!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/22 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Per Yellowstone's website as of yesterday the valley was not open.

Lamar Valley closed to public

The Northeast Entrance Road between Lamar Valley and the barrier near Warm Creek (2 miles from the Northeast Entrance), is closed to all vehicle, bicycle and foot traffic while major construction repairs are made. This section of road is an active construction zone, and the closure is expected to stay in place until Oct. 15 to allow contractors to complete work prior to winter.

Sounds like it's more of a partial closure than it being fully closed off. Guess when I'm there this month I'll just have to see for myself!

No you can't drive the entire length. Just up to Slough Creek trail head but you need a pass off the website to drive it.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No you can't drive the entire length. Just up to Slough Creek trail head but you need a pass off the website to drive it.

Not as of 9/8. They are removing that requirement per the website. I'll be happy to get as far as I can.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Not as of 9/8. They are removing that requirement per the website. I'll be happy to get as far as I can.

OK, if you say so.

We got a pass and they let us in on the 29th of August.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay thanks for the update.
Too many rules. The best days are gone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.