RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Why shouldn't I go this route? (AC Roof Delete)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why shouldn't I go this route? (AC Roof Delete)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/22 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

What we have discovered in other discussions is that this will work in some parts of the country and might not in other parts. On the West Coast, even on hot days we typically need the AC to run maybe for lunch while on the road and for an hour or two in the evening to cool the camper down. Most of the places you want to camp are going to cool down in the evening so only 2 to 3 hours of AC run time are necessary to make a substantial impact on camping experience.

Contrast that with folks in the South where it stays hot and humid throughout the day and evening and the AC needs to run 24/7 then solar and batteries won't cut it. However, there is still a lot of advantage in those locations to being able to run the AC on battery for two or three hours and I still think would be worthwhile for those inclined to do it. If you end up needing more, you are already lugging around a generator anyway or plugging into shore power so you aren't taking away your options, just adding to them.

So basically, if you don't really need air/con, it will run the air/con for long enough is what you are suggesting.

If you can run it for an hour or two in the evening and then it's cool enough the rest of the night...I've found in those conditions a shady site and/or the windows open/fans blowing thru will cool it to comfortable levels quicker.

If we are just stopping for lunch and it's hot, by the time it's cooling off noticeably, we would typically be back on the road.

It's such a narrow window of usefulness it's really not worth the trouble. Doubly so when you figure in the high cost and complexity of building a system that can run for even these short time periods.

Now if you are deep into building a big solar/battery systems and know all the pros and cons and how you would use it, have at it. But for the random person with little prior knowledge, highlighting the severe limitations compared to the cost & complexity of implementation, for most it's just silly to think it's a reasonable option.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

The reality of this discussion is you're not going to get anything but armchair quarterbacking and naysaying, as nobody has experience with doing what you are trying to do. It's not like installing fender flares.

The reason you aren't seeing a lot of people doing it is because it's impractical.

When you do find the rare person claiming to have done it, they gloss over the severe limitations. Just because most of us have looked at the numbers and realized it's not practical doesn't mean we don't know what we are talking about.

No naysaying, show us the numbers for a system that works. Either you can or you can't.

What we have discovered in other discussions is that this will work in some parts of the country and might not in other parts. On the West Coast, even on hot days we typically need the AC to run maybe for lunch while on the road and for an hour or two in the evening to cool the camper down. Most of the places you want to camp are going to cool down in the evening so only 2 to 3 hours of AC run time are necessary to make a substantial impact on camping experience.

Contrast that with folks in the South where it stays hot and humid throughout the day and evening and the AC needs to run 24/7 then solar and batteries won't cut it. However, there is still a lot of advantage in those locations to being able to run the AC on battery for two or three hours and I still think would be worthwhile for those inclined to do it. If you end up needing more, you are already lugging around a generator anyway or plugging into shore power so you aren't taking away your options, just adding to them.

A much simpler solution for the "camping experience" is to actually experience camping.

Many folks (myself included) are only in our truck campers to: sleep and maybe eat, use rest room and eat. (unless of course foul weather drives us inside)

While an hour or two of AC might come in handy while on the road to a destination while getting lunch in the camper, once actually at a camp spot opening the windows/vents and using a fan 'just works' for most of us.

Granted YMMV and obviously different folks have different definitions and expectations of 'camping'.

- Mark0.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have pets that stay in AC while we are out. When it is like this, we seek a hookup or run the generator.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, came to a bit of a complication... In my research on both the Truma Air and the Pioneer under bench units, it turns out they are designed to be vented through the floor while the location I was looking at, it has to vent out the side. There technically is enough space I think to put together some sort of ductwork to achieve what is needed but that makes installation way more complicated than I am necessarily looking for. It isn't that I couldn't do it but I am not sure I want to modify the camper that much just for my kicks and giggles project.

in light of this development, I have a few options...

1. Abandon the project entirely and stick with a new roof top AC unit (what is the fun and learning in that)?...

2. Keep searching for a unit that vents out the side like I need.

3. Modify my bench to allow for ducting to make the Truma Air or Pinoeer work as required.

4. Build my own AC unit for exactly what I want and then create a company and sell it to truck camper builders.

I have the skills and resources to tackle step 4 but not necessarily the bandwidth (I already have a few businesses I'm running). Unless there is an option I have not found, I am surprised there isn't an AC/Heater heat pump designed specifically for the truck camper market.

It is going to take some thinking on this to see where I want to go.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis,

Look under school buses?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Killingsworth

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/22 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adamis,
I have been looking into the "ecoflow" system for a variety of reasons.
Google "Delta Pro" "EcoFlow" They produce a entire system that works well for RV life, including a A/C unit, Dual fuel generator, gasoline/propane and other devices.
It is well worth a look

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/22 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Killingsworth wrote:

Adamis,
I have been looking into the "ecoflow" system for a variety of reasons.
Google "Delta Pro" "EcoFlow" They produce a entire system that works well for RV life, including a A/C unit, Dual fuel generator, gasoline/propane and other devices.
It is well worth a look

It is over priced.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why shouldn't I go this route? (AC Roof Delete)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.