RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Motor vehicle laws. Complicated jurisdiction question.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motor vehicle laws. Complicated jurisdiction question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/22 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have recently been wondering about something. I'll use a Florida RV as an example because I’m familiar with some things about that state and how it differs from others.

Florida: pretty dark window tints are allowed. Now, if I take my Florida vehicle up to a state where they do not allow window tinting, and my Florida vehicle has Florida license plates, Florida registration, I have a Florida license, can they give me a ticket for having window tints that meet the legal requirements of my state? Even if I’m just passing through another state?

what about inspection stickers? Florida doesn’t have motor vehicle inspections. What if you go through a state that requires motor vehicle inspections? Can you get a ticket for no inspection?

I ask because I did have something kind of similar happen to me. And they wrote up the ticket. Even though I was completely legal in my own state. they said I can just fight it in court and I would probably do fine. But why waste all this time?

Lwiddis

Southern California :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/22 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Window tinting is a safety issue for the state where you are driving. Yes, you can be ticketed.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/22 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some things are reciprical. Some aren't. Nobody cares about a Florida inspection except Florida.
Something like double towing is different. Double towing is not legal in VA, it doesn't matter if it's legal in your home state or not, you can't do it here.
We'd have to know exactly what you were ticketed for, where. And exactly what the laws are. I'd just call a lawyer if I were you.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/22 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a long time I accidently drove and owned 3 dodge rams trucks in Nevada that were still registered in TX. One time pulled over by Hyw patrol for doin 10 over and he being a former service member was familiar with TX DMV. He checked to make sure my TX sticker was current and also my USAA insurance card was current.

I truthfully told him I was not employed or doin business in Nevada and was give only a warning ticket. Cheers to me the good guy.

You pays your money and take your

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/22 07:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt the inspection sticker would ever be an issue. there are lots of states that don't require any inspection.

There are some things that aren't covered by reciprocity.
a) things attached to the front windshield even if it by suction cups are illegal in some states and reciprocity doesn't apply AFAIK.
b) I think window tinting may be another one.
c) double towing, reciprocity doesn't apply
d) overall vehicle length reciprocity doesn't apply

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/22 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Radar detectors are completely illegal in a few states
My FIL was a stickler about window tint but he never popped folks from out of state for it, not sure if that was a law thing or his personal "full faith and credit" thing, but since you can't easily remove tint like you can with most other things I'd be arguing that one.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/22 12:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Some things are reciprical. Some aren't. Nobody cares about a Florida inspection except Florida.
Something like double towing is different. Double towing is not legal in VA, it doesn't matter if it's legal in your home state or not, you can't do it here.
We'd have to know exactly what you were ticketed for, where. And exactly what the laws are. I'd just call a lawyer if I were you.

Right, but that's a moving violation. I'm talking about administrative things or things inherent to the way the vehicle is set up.

AdvancedQs

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/22 12:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this is a very gray area then. I thought a lot of people would come on here and have the exact answer. You guys usually know exactly what’s going on with this kind of stuff.

I would tell you guys exactly what it is, but I don’t want to cause an uproar. People get very heated and emotional about this type of stuff. I don’t want to get into a bunch of arguments about it.

but suffice to say I’m completely legal in my state in the way my vehicle is configured and all of my paperwork. But, in the other state, I would not be.

this is not a moving violation. I drive perfectly. No accidents in my entire life. Driving record empty. It’s just the way my vehicle is set up which is legal in my state but apparently not in the state I was in. Much like the window tinting. That’s why I used it as an example.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/22 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inspection stickers: If you are legal at home you are legal period.

Window tint: I see a lot of cars where I suspect the tint is too dark.

I only know the rules in Michigan.. The "B" pillar (That's the one BEHIND the driver" Behind the "B" pillar. as dark as you like.. IN front of the "B" pillar (Driver and passenger doors and windshield) top 4 (I think) inches only and a limited percentage.. I see many cars much darker.. I've owned cars darker. FACTORY TINTED.

Oh and no reflective "tints".

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/22 05:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was this an excessive noise offence? Maybe exhaust mods?

Our local LEO will nail you on a loud stereo but seem to be less aggressive on loud exhaust mods.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Motor vehicle laws. Complicated jurisdiction question.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.