|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> EV jump start

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

An EV jump start = a portable generator and about an hour's worth of charge.. Or tow it to a re-charge station. A traditional "Jump start" wont work.

IF you want to drive way more than your range. Carry a portable generator on a cargo tray (hitch mounted you do not want it INSIDE the vehicle)(

You really need to read the prior posts before jumping in, John. There is a situation where some EV's can in fact be "jump started".

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jump start and filling the tank are two different things.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local (SE Michigan) has at least a few "EV Rescue" trucks. Since you can't being anything like a "gas can" to an EV, they have several roll-backs with largish generators mounted on the deck. They can go and pick up the dead EV and occupant and charge the EV enough to be self propelled and deliver both to a destination. I don't know if the service is covered by their standard coverage.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt_Colie wrote:

Our local (SE Michigan) has at least a few "EV Rescue" trucks. Since you can't being anything like a "gas can" to an EV, they have several roll-backs with largish generators mounted on the deck. They can go and pick up the dead EV and occupant and charge the EV enough to be self propelled and deliver both to a destination. I don't know if the service is covered by their standard coverage.

Matt

Probably. Ours does. Either a tow or a charge if they have the emergency charge equipment. They also pick up our trailer. But, like I say, if you use the instrumentation in the car it would be pretty hard to run an electric car flat, either with or without a trailer. Just tell (by voice) the car where you are going. The car will tell you in the form of a graph how much of a charge you will arrive with. It’s that simple.

* This post was edited 09/06/22 09:06am by Reisender *

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So why can’t you bring a “Gas Can” to an EV or carry one in your trunk? Can’t they make a small battery that can hold 5-10 miles of charge that can be connected to the vehicle via power cord? Not to recharge the main battery but a temporary battery pack. Seems like an opportunity like those swappable propane cylinders.

Oh yeah, and there are multiple levels of readout or alarms on ICE based cars that alert people they are running out of fuel. But people still manage it.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Again way2roll ****** I have to remind you that at least some EV oweners tow a TT with their EVs and others tow EVs on a trailer behind a MH for their primary transport from the campground upon arrival. Your continued ignorance or jeal is overwhelming sport. You don't like my post just block me as I but I doubt you know how to. Cheers to those with common sense from 49 states not counting c

Doesn't take much to get your knickers in a twist does it champ?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

So why can’t you bring a “Gas Can” to an EV or carry one in your trunk? Can’t they make a small battery that can hold 5-10 miles of charge that can be connected to the vehicle via power cord? Not to recharge the main battery but a temporary battery pack. Seems like an opportunity like those swappable propane cylinders.

Oh yeah, and there are multiple levels of readout or alarms on ICE based cars that alert people they are running out of fuel. But people still manage it.

I brought this up on another thread, and such a thing does exist. You can buy them and I think I also read that some AAA and tow services have them. Zip charge and blink are two that came to mind.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

This can be done with a battery and 2000w inverter.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Again way2roll ****** I have to remind you that at least some EV owners tow a TT with their EVs and others tow EVs on a trailer behind a MH for their primary transport from the campground upon arrival. Your continued ignorance or jeal is overwhelming sport. You don't like my post just block me as I but I doubt you know how to. Cheers to those with common sense from Nevada
Sorry I don't know where the block button is.

None of my comments relate to towing. Is this some other dead horse you want to beat?

Clearly just more anti EV rhetoric that has nothing to do with RV's.

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/22 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Again way2roll ****** I have to remind you that at least some EV owners tow a TT with their EVs and others tow EVs on a trailer behind a MH for their primary transport from the campground upon arrival. Your continued ignorance or jeal is overwhelming sport. You don't like my post just block me as I but I doubt you know how to. Cheers to those with common sense from Nevada
Sorry I don't know where the block button is.
Go to one of his posts and click on his user name. A list will appear. Click block this member.

Only problem is you will still see his unuseful posts when someone quotes him, as you just did

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> EV jump start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.