RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: How many of you own an EV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How many of you own an EV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

Reisender wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Here's Why Major Car Manufacturers Believe Hydrogen Cars Are The Future
BY
EUGENIA AKHIM
PUBLISHED 10 HOURS AGO
We delve into the reasons why several car giants are pursuing the hydrogen avenue of cars for the future instead of electric-powered vehicles.

Above very recent news article from Google news and hotcars.com

As a member of the 300 million gasser club, I will wait for my hydrogen fuel car. I am in no hurry. Evidently EVs are now old news. Wink Wink (this is a joke for the slow ones)

According to business news most EV owners till own a gasser. Maybe hidden away for rainy day????

I quit reading after they said this. LOL. [emoticon].

“Another drawback to EVs is their charging time, which is too slow. The average electric car (60 kWh battery) takes 8 hours to charge from empty-to-full with a 7kW charging point. Meanwhile, the Tesla Model S (Long Range) takes up to 12 hours to charge using the Tesla Wall Connector, while the Audi E-Tron needs 10.5 hours to charge, accordingy to Kelley Blue Book. Conversely, hydrogen cars require just 3 to 5 minutes to charge a full tank.”

LOL. Can’t get more wrong that that. [emoticon]. Or funnier. [emoticon]. I mean they could have used a 3 KW charge point and then said it took 24 hours. Or maybe a 1 kw charge point and then said 100 hours. Wonder why the chose 7 kw. Lucky number? [emoticon]. LOL.

Cheers.
Maybe they chose 7kW because that’s what most EV’s available today will accept in at home use.
Clicky

Maybe. But I f you are going by that metric than that is incorrect as most closer to 8 kw or above.

Second of all, why compare a public hydrogen station than you would think that they would want to compare to a DC fast charge station. And most EV’s sold today charge at up to 170 KW, and a typical charge session for most EV’s is 20 minutes, not 12 hours. As well, talk to anyone who has filled a hydrogen car and it’s more like a 10 minute process not 5 minutes. Weird story.

Jmho.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Of course, nowadays, we hear about ICE lighting-up too, and EV batteries exploding or lighting on fire too. So, there is that. Any time we harness heat and convert it to useful consumer energy, we also create a certain amount of danger.

There are far more ice cars that "light up" than EV. But, to be fair, there are many more ice cars.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mike E.

Coquitlam, British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/22 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'21 Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid.
Gets 35KM on pure battery, which seems to be enough for most daily running around ( I commute to work by bus/train/bike).
Recharges in 2.5Hrs, so sometimes there will be multiple charges per day....not very often.

6-7 weeks between gas fill ups. Last odometer reading was 1876KM's between fuelings.

For us, the plug-in is working great. Of course, 6 months after we got this one they increased the battery range to 55Kms or so. That would be perfect for us.
Like having the gas for long trips.

Now, if there was only something out there with more than a 3500lb tow rating. [emoticon]
Looking to find a small couples trailer to pull, so hopefully when prices settle back down we might be able to find something suitable.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

Of course, nowadays, we hear about ICE lighting-up too, and EV batteries exploding or lighting on fire too. So, there is that. Any time we harness heat and convert it to useful consumer energy, we also create a certain amount of danger.

There are far more ice cars that "light up" than EV. But, to be fair, there are many more ice cars.

True enough, the more of one type of vehicle, the dynamic of its failure in comparison will change in that same direction.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/22 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

monkey44 wrote:

Per mile driven I understand ICE will light up 10x as often.

Part of that EV advantage may disappear as the vehicles age.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excluding collisions, I don't know about the 10x, but I'll bet most of those were older un-maintained ICE, loose fittings, gas leaks, sparked oil fires on an engine. Not explosive batteries like some of the EV early on, nor spontaneous combusion of the entire power source.

My point, generally remains, when we capture heat and make it 'user consumable', as in transportation, tools - a welder for example - or other compressed combustables, we will have failures. So, no matter which choice we make, ICE, EV, Hydrogyn, we have risk, and we need safety procedures, safety equippment, and training to understand those risks.

We cannot choose one over the others and claim it's safer. At this point in technology and engineering, we have no clear winner when we store a power source, and convert it into 'work'. I'll be the first to admit, and applaud the ongoing efforts toward safety and efficiency. But we are not there yet ...

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a rechargeable shaver. [emoticon]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever youre drivin dont forget to take care of it.

https://youtu.be/DtQqvd_fvNk

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/22 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Why would age make a difference?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/22 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Why would age make a difference?
For gasoline? Oil and fuel leaks onto hot surfaces. This tends to increase with age.

I suppose it is a bit unknown with an EV how the components will age.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How many of you own an EV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.