RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: How many of you own an EV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How many of you own an EV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/22 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDK, but doubt Ron would have posted the pics of his friends accident, if reckless driving/excessive speed was the cause.

I'd give the driver the benefit of doubt, maybe the throttle malfunctioned, maybe a medical issue, who can say? The good thing...no one was injured in an accident that destroyed the car!

Jerry

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned an electric car for 3 years. Plug in at home and only rarely need to stop for a charge away from home. Zero issues. Then again, had zero issues with my F450 I just sold. Or the previous truck, or our 2012 Honda.

I like the electric a lot. If they made a truck with a big enough battery, I would be interested. Just need the charge infrastructure to improve.

2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

IDK, but doubt Ron would have posted the pics of his friends accident, if reckless driving/excessive speed was the cause.

I'd give the driver the benefit of doubt, maybe the throttle malfunctioned, maybe a medical issue, who can say? The good thing...no one was injured in an accident that destroyed the car!

Jerry

I could see other problems could cause the accident. OTOH, I would think a alert driver, driving rationally in a residential area, could pull the wheel off the column, and get stopped with much less damage.
Apparently the only thing driver could think to blame it on was the steering wheel.

From what I have heard of the performance claims of Tesla, most like is somebody was playing with a new bb gun, and shot his eye out.

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/22 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I question any car going normal speed in a neighborhood taking out that much of a brick wall.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/22 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I question any car going normal speed in a neighborhood taking out that much of a brick wall.

Mike
Probably tapped on one brick and it fell like dominos toward the vehicle and totaled it. [emoticon]

Need reimbursement from the homeowner.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

A friends 150k Tesla lasted one day. Imagine loosing control and reaching for the part of the steering wheel that is missing! STUPID design. Walked away unscathed. Took out 50' of block wall.

[image]

Driving way too fast maybe ?
Mistook go pedal for brake ?

Takes a good driver to handle so much instant power. This is how its done

Tesla s beats speed record on Nurburing

https://youtu.be/em4I4V-AvBo

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't park Kia or Hyundai inside.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a Tesla Model Y. Bought it in March of 2021 for my wife. She drives it to work most days and loves it. I drive it whenever it is available and enjoy it. It has been used before to pull my 21ft off-shore fishing boat and did very well though range was reduced about 60%. Traveling with it has not been an issue. 18,000 miles and no issues so far. I sure would love to have its AWD system in my pickup for pulling trailers but it probably isn't the best for rock crawling.

The price has gone up about $17,000 since I bought it, due mostly to supply and demand. I don't think that I would pay the current price for it but as the new factories crank up I expect the the supply/demand ratio to change and prices to come back down some.

I am planning to trade my 2016 F150 for a new hybrid version soon. I don't have a reservation in for a Tesla pickup and don't want to wait that long. My trailer would be pretty hard on the battery anyway. Like some others I have switched to battery powered yard tools-string trimmer, limb pruner, blower and chainsaw. I went with a 60V Pro system and it is very impressive. Starts every time with just a push of a button and no noise or smoke.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rigid, well you may as well have gone to Harbor Freight. Love these Companies that use the "NAME" to sell SHITE.

Milwaukee mostly CHICOM anymore. DeWalt has many US Made tools and I have a 20V 1/2" drill impact combo that has been great for 8 years with a lot of Commercial hard use.

I'm having a hard time thinking Rigid is as bad a Harbor freight! The two items I bought are every bit as good or better than the DeWalt I had. My big mistake was no realizing Rigid does not have as many tools as DeWalt or Ryobi to get and still use the same battery and charger(s). Ryobi for instance has a 5" maybe 6" waxer polisher option, that would work will in small places my Corded 8" Mikita cant get too! DeWalt has yard tools too. Nor am I ussing these tools daily like I was with the DeWalt stuff.
No right or wrong on any of this stuff. Other than the lower quality stuff, is every bit as good or better than the Best quality in the past. As a consumer, its a win win.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/22 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, the Tesla accident had to be some whiskey throttle or possibly a malfunction but ida thunk 12V would have posted if it was a vehicle malfunction.
Regardless, I can’t even fathom how a fighter pilot steering wheel is a good idea on a commuter vehicle. Not at all.
Does anyone know if they actually turn like a normal steering rack or are they like 90deg each direction lock to lock?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How many of you own an EV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.