RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: NC I95 towable crash near Kenly

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > NC I95 towable crash near Kenly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/14/22 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

And today we pack our kids in bubble wrap until they're old enough to vote.

Our society's approach to risk nowadays: "Something bad happened just happened. We'd better outlaw it."


DANG, I think we could be good friends!!!


Well. We hang out in the same places.


Dive Bars, RV Forums etc.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/14/22 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.


Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/14/22 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.


If you are talking big diesel pushers on tour bus chassis...you have a point. Though that height makes a roll over more problematic.

Run of the mill Class C or lower tier Class A...no, they disintegrate in crashes just like trailers.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 09/14/22 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Side note and story: I recall the screams when Michigan passed a seat belt and child restraint laws (no won't go into that)

The story One parent wrote about how much they hated the child seat law.. How it caused all sorts of problems cause with that big child seat in the truck there was not enough room for the entire family and so on and so forth.

Till the truck ran off the road and the infant in the child seat.. NOT EVEN A BRUISE..

Another story: Child restraint law at this point but no Seat belt: Rollover.. Multiple dead. Baby, in child seat, covered in blood.. ALL BELONGING TO ADULTS. Baby not even scratched. (That one I dispatched troopers to).

Another story: (Still no seat belt law) 4 people in car. 3 laughed at 4th who buckled up.. Car crashed.> The one with the buckled belt got a split lip and 3 funerals to attend. (She was my daughter's babysitter).


The difference is by the time seat belt use was mandated, there was a plentiful supply of data supporting the requirement. Seat belts had been around for decades and crash reports were collecting information on if the occupants were using them. There were also studies tracking how many people regularly use seat belts for many years, so injury rates per mile driven could be estimated.

Personally, I think they were a little heavy handed in the seatbelt approach but the data was there.

By contrast, I know of no similar studies for riding in trailers and there are no standardized data entries on crash reports for occupants in trailers. You would have to read each report and hope the officer noted it in the description but with negligible data on how many ride in trailers developing comparable injury rates would be effectively impossible. Having read thousands of police reports...not going to happen.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 09/14/22 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

You're probably more likely to be injured riding in a motor vehicle than riding in a trailer. Lots and lots of motor vehicle accidents, trailer accidents, not so much. Just boils down to your risk factor.


Really? Do you think the number of motor vehicles on the road vs the number of trailers on the road has something to do with that statistic? [emoticon]


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/14/22 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do what you want, and I'll do what I want, and we'll both be happy.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/14/22 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.

Roflmao.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard today. And it’s been a bad day, so thanks for the laugh!
FYI, I wadded up a class A body and interior and packed it into a 20cy rolloff. Whole thing from the frame and drivetrain up, with a little cat 304 mini exc in about 4 hours. And occupant restraint is abysmal compared to passenger vehicles in most class As and Cs as well.
I hope you were being sarcastic and not serious…


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

willald

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/15/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/15/22 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

willald wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.

Roflmao.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard today. And it’s been a bad day, so thanks for the laugh!
FYI, I wadded up a class A body and interior and packed it into a 20cy rolloff. Whole thing from the frame and drivetrain up, with a little cat 304 mini exc in about 4 hours. And occupant restraint is abysmal compared to passenger vehicles in most class As and Cs as well.
I hope you were being sarcastic and not serious…


...And I hope you realize you are making a serious 'straw man' argument here, by suggesting I said something that I did not, and proceeding to refute it.

Please read what I said again. I said very clearly, that you are indeed safer in a pickup truck than a Motorhome. No doubt a passenger car would be even safer in many ways. No argument there whatsoever.

The only thing I was taking issue with was the assertion that traveling in a class A was the same as traveling inside an RV trailer. That is all.

Yes, I'm sure you could wad up a totalled Class A body and interior pretty quickly and easily into a 20cy rolloff. However, keeping with the comparison we should here: I bet you could also wad up a totalled RV trailer into something even smaller, and even quicker.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/22 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.


To put it "nicely" you are not going to come out well in a major crash in either.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/15/22 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

willald wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.


Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.

Roflmao.
That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard today. And it’s been a bad day, so thanks for the laugh!
FYI, I wadded up a class A body and interior and packed it into a 20cy rolloff. Whole thing from the frame and drivetrain up, with a little cat 304 mini exc in about 4 hours. And occupant restraint is abysmal compared to passenger vehicles in most class As and Cs as well.
I hope you were being sarcastic and not serious…


...And I hope you realize you are making a serious 'straw man' argument here, by suggesting I said something that I did not, and proceeding to refute it.

Please read what I said again. I said very clearly, that you are indeed safer in a pickup truck than a Motorhome. No doubt a passenger car would be even safer in many ways. No argument there whatsoever.

The only thing I was taking issue with was the assertion that traveling in a class A was the same as traveling inside an RV trailer. That is all.

Yes, I'm sure you could wad up a totalled Class A body and interior pretty quickly and easily into a 20cy rolloff. However, keeping with the comparison we should here: I bet you could also wad up a totalled RV trailer into something even smaller, and even quicker.


Putting words in my mouth! I did NOT say they were the "same" as each other. I said "Not much difference". Anyone understanding the English language will not think that I said they were the same.

But hey your snarky reply was just a bit of free humor on the "RV.NET".

You said....."Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely"

Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > NC I95 towable crash near Kenly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.