|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> inverter not charging the battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The converter (not inverter) in the TT should be able to charge a dead battery. The truck will charge the battery if you drive around for about 2 years (in other words - not going to happen). You need to check your converter to see if it is working properly. Secondly, you can’t charge the battery from the inverter. That is a losing proposition - your trying to recharge the battery from battery power. The only way to recharge the battery as while being plugged in.

Being unplugged and operating off the inverter will kill the battery in about 1 day.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I found your inverter does not also include a charger. As such it has nothing to do with charging the battery but it can certainly discharge your batteries especially when connected to the res refer. For example a 2A 120VAC refer will cause the inverter to draw 22A from the battery. Battery discharged overnight? Certainly possible. Perhaps your battery is to small to support the refer overnight. What is your battery size, type and how many?

Find your charger and check fuses, CBs etc. 120VAC on the input? Should be 14VDC+ on the output. What is the make/model of the charger. Have the battery tested.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/22 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qttire1 wrote:

The inverter is a xantrex freedom x 1200.

KD4UPL - when I was plugged into shore power and the battery was not in the disconnect position (meaning off) I was unable to pull the slides in, but when I put the battery in the disconnect position (meaning on) I was able to pull the slides in. When you dont have shore power and you do the battery disconnect... it turns everything off. this is to keep the battery from going completely dead.

I will have to look into the refridge on/off switch on the inside. When I purchased the TT the battery was staying charged. Before my last trip, I disconnected the shore power for 24 hrs and it did kill the battery. I assumed after I hooked back up it would charge the battery but I think I need to put the battery on a charger to see if it will charge back up. Its seems the truck or the TT cant charge a dead battery.

When I look up the manual for your xantrex freedom x 1200 the manual makes no mention of any charging function. It is an inverter only with built in ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) which switches the "load" (IE your fridge) between shore power or the inverter (which uses your battery to make 120V AC).

So, what this means is your RV must have a separate "converter" which does the battery charging.

Typically the converter will be found in a hidden lower section of your 120V breaker and 12V fuse panel.

Locate your main breaker/fuse panel, there should be a manufacturer brand name and a model number.. Then post back that information..

Also make sure there is no breakers tripped in that panel, you may even have a breaker labeled as "conv" and that breaker must be on in order for the converter to work.

Check the fuses in the breaker/fuse panel, there should be fuse(s) labeled converter or batt.. make sure those fuses are not blown.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/22 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should also get a meter and check your batteries or battery. This is helpful when troubleshooting battery issues. You can also take them to be tested, if you overcharged them, or depleted them, then you could have a bad cell and they need to be replaced. There is lots of good info on this site and the web on living on 12v power. You should take the time to look into that. It seems lots of people don't understand the battery is not a continuous source of power and using it until it stops working is bad for the unit and can take a battery that could last 5 years to one that lasts less than a year. A battery that is very corrosive, could be a sign of improper use or charging.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/22 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without knowing anything else, from your description, it sounds as if the disconnect switch is labeled backwards!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> inverter not charging the battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.