RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Productions Ends in January

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Productions Ends in January

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2112 wrote:

Quote:

I'm old enough to remember way back when on RV.net a lot of people said if they would just make a 1/2 ton diesel I would buy it.
I was holding out for a Ford F150 diesel but they brought out the EB instead.

The F150 had a 3.0 "Power Stroke" option from 2018-2021.

The "Power Boost" and now the new "Lightning" are going to the "EV" trend now..

I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 of those 3.0 Power Stroke F150's EVER..

Same with the other 1/2 tons with the oil burner option.. So, I remember that whole "If it came with a diesel, I'd get one too" said a lot as well..

They cost some 3 grand more right off the top just for the engine option, but you still didn't get any additional payload, and they probably weighed more too..

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/22 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from a certified diesel tech, great!!! Any diesel with the word ECO in its name is a ticking time bomb!

Even the newer HD diesels aren’t as reliable due to the emissions carp they slap onto it!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

So, I remember that whole "If it came with a diesel, I'd get one too" said a lot as well..

To be fair, things changed. Pre-2007, it made sense. Then the 2007 emissions, and 2010 emissions, came along and the industry's solutions to those regulations have given diesels a bad rap and removed any financial benefit to owning one.

Then the manufacturers' offerings have been lackluster, overpriced, "plagued with issues" (perceived or real is irrelevant).

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Coming from a certified diesel tech, great!!! Any diesel with the word ECO in its name is a ticking time bomb!

Even the newer HD diesels aren’t as reliable due to the emissions carp they slap onto it!

Yeah, like most things, some have no issues and others do.
I wouldn’t call the eco diesel a disaster. I’d still take 1 or them over 3 6.0 or 6.4 Flowerjokes.
But they were not without their issues.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

MitchF150 wrote:

So, I remember that whole "If it came with a diesel, I'd get one too" said a lot as well..

To be fair, things changed. Pre-2007, it made sense. Then the 2007 emissions, and 2010 emissions, came along and the industry's solutions to those regulations have given diesels a bad rap and removed any financial benefit to owning one.

Then the manufacturers' offerings have been lackluster, overpriced, "plagued with issues" (perceived or real is irrelevant).

Yup. 1 ruined trip or a plugged dpf out of warranty sure negates a lot of fuel savings.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

MitchF150 wrote:

Yeah.. I only wanted a "V8" when I was looking for my next truck back in 2013.. Diesel was only for the "full float axle" guys as far as I was concerned. [emoticon]

My Dad had a 2005 3500 Dually Ram and I told him to just hang on to it, as it didn't use that DEF stuff.. He towed a BA 5th wheel at the time, so that's what he needed..

Took my chance on the little V6 twin turbo, as that's what was on the lot and had all the other stuff I wanted at a decent price..

EV is the next thing, but gonna be too old by then to care.. ha, ha.. I'll just hang on to my gas engine stuff as I'll never need a HD truck for what I do.

Mitch

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Kind of reminds you of the 70's when we smog equipment stated on gas burning cars. Performance went from decent to less than mediocre. But now, granted almost 50 years later the emissions are worked out and the cars perform better than ever and are more reliable to boot. Now it's the diesel engines turn. It will suck for a while, but the manufacturers will eventually get it right.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/22 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I'm old enough to remember way back when on RV.net a lot of people said if they would just make a 1/2 ton diesel I would buy it. Well, they made it and I guess a lot of those people were not telling the truth. Or not enough of them anyway.

Not so much people wouldn't buy a diesel. The Guberment regulations forced the manufacturers to undermine what would make a diesel a great option for a 1/2 ton truck. Then shocker...they were unreasonably expensive, less reliable and people didn't buy them.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

2112 wrote:

Quote:

I'm old enough to remember way back when on RV.net a lot of people said if they would just make a 1/2 ton diesel I would buy it.
I was holding out for a Ford F150 diesel but they brought out the EB instead.
The F150 had a 3.0 "Power Stroke" option from 2018-2021.
I'm talking 2006-2011 timeframe. Before the 3.5L EB.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/22 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Yeah, like most things, some have no issues and others do.
I wouldn’t call the eco diesel a disaster. I’d still take 1 or them over 3 6.0 or 6.4 Flowerjokes.
But they were not without their issues.

Or 6.7 Bluetec cummaparts. [emoticon]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"250k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Productions Ends in January
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.