RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bigfoot camper - spray paint color match?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bigfoot camper - spray paint color match?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/22 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there an "official" Bigfoot camper white color code (or other designation) I can use to match my 2006 white-colored camper?

I've tried several but so far none match exactly.

Any suggestions? TIA

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/22 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you take a piece of your camper to home depot they can scan the color and make you a match.

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/22 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are better places to do color matching than Home Depot. We've never had them get a color right yet.

I'd try an autopart/boating store that deals with fiberglass if that is what you are trying to match. They have a lot of colors which you can put in a a sprayer.

Another option, call Bigfoot for advice.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/22 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You already had some good advice for getting the colors matched. A professional paint shop will be a good choice and a fiberglass shop even better.

A word of warning. You will find that the camper is not all the same color. Fiberglass does not age / discolor at the same rate. On my NL I polled some window trim and on one side it was a little whiter under the trim than the fiberglass around it and on the other a lot whiter. Also I have seen a lot of fiberglass campers repainted and the ones that I saw LOOKED HORRIBLE!!! The paint was not as glossy and it peeled.

I have been told to do it correctly you need to sand, paint and top coat. Again I would hit up someone that deals with fiberglass to verify before you start.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/22 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Foot campers aren't paint.. they are jel-coat. ask Bigfoot which color white they were using when your camper was manufactured.

Why does it require a repair?

* This post was edited 10/19/22 11:30pm by Tom/Barb *

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only won't it be a great match, but Home Depot paint is house paint. Okay if you're painting drywall, but not so much on fiberglass.

Even a "perfect" automotive paint match won't be perfect. Unless you blend the new paint into the old color, it will always be noticeable.

But yeah, I don't think you're going to find a shade of Rustoleum that's going to be an adequate match. Personally it would not bother me if it was slightly off as long as it was painted.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

Personally it would not bother me if it was slightly off as long as it was painted.
Yeah, I agree. Perfection not required.

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Why does it require a repair?
Sustained several "puncture wounds" due to flying debris from a nearby tornado. Two windows broken also. And blew away my solar panels on the roof. Otherwise no apparent structural damage. But interestingly, insurance company totaled it and I did a buy-back.

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/22 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Much thanks for all the replies!!

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/22 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This spring I was pushing my 2 year old Northstar 12 STC out of it's storage position in my pole barn to the middle bay where I load it onto the truck. Unfortunately, I hit my wife's Bowflex workout thing, and punched a couple holes through the front of the camper. After doing the body work to repair the holes, I needed to find matching paint. We have a NCS (National Coatings and Supplies) not too far away. They have a camera thing that they put up to the surface of the camper, and somehow they can mix the matching color and put it in a spray can. I think it was $40 or something, but it matched close to perfect. My buddy who has a body shop looked at it and said he couldn't see a difference.

Then I topcoated it with USC SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss Aerosol Clear. It's a two part acrylic resin. There's a button on the bottom of the can you push in to burst a packet inside the can, then shake to mix. You must spray within 48 hours or it solidifies in the can. It sprays very high gloss, and is hard as a rock, even hard to sand.

The only thing I can see from the repair is a difference in gloss around the repaired area. In the right lighting I can see a 1'x2' high gloss area surrounded by a 6 or 10" lower gloss area. Probably didn't hold the spray straight on at the end of each pass. I should probably mask and spray the whole front of the camper to have a consistent gloss, but it's pretty low on the priority list.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bigfoot camper - spray paint color match?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.