RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: New camper without 12 volt fridge

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New camper without 12 volt fridge

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adda about 400 watts of solar (2 panels) and some additional battery capacity and you’ll be happy with the compressor unit. They are a better fridge and will keep things cooler in hot weather.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Administrator

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

That’s really sad if LP fired camper fridges are now in short supply.

Do you remember the oven shortage back around '04 or '05?

One factory in China manufactured an orifice used by RV ovens and the factory went out of business. That was the end of RV ovens for many years. The marketing spin from the industry was "who needs an oven anyway?" and "everyone knows that convection microwaves are better than LP ovens".

It took a lot of doing, but I found an oven and put it under the tree for my wife for Christmas that year. She used the heck out of that oven and she uses the oven in our newer rig too.

The market has to bob and weave with shortages, but it doesn't make it a logical choice or a preference. It's just dealing with the current market conditions.

Hopefully the OP can put a fridge under the tree for his wife (or just himself) next year.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Adda about 400 watts of solar (2 panels) and some additional battery capacity and you’ll be happy with the compressor unit. They are a better fridge and will keep things cooler in hot weather.

solar is fine IF you are either parked in the sun or have portable panels in the sun or have electric hookup. A stretch of cloudy days dry camping....... another story.

yes, the do cool faster, and keep stuff colder in hot weather IF you have power for them. There are days camping where a compressor fridge would have been fine, but there have also been time camping in constant cloudy weather where compressor fridge would have meant running a generator even with all the solar we have.

You just can't beat the energy density in BTU/lb of propane with current alternatives. Weeks of fridge running on a gallon of propane.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

That’s really sad if LP fired camper fridges are now in short supply.

Do you remember the oven shortage back around '04 or '05?

One factory in China manufactured an orifice used by RV ovens and the factory went out of business. That was the end of RV ovens for many years. The marketing spin from the industry was "who needs an oven anyway?" and "everyone knows that convection microwaves are better than LP ovens".

It took a lot of doing, but I found an oven and put it under the tree for my wife for Christmas that year. She used the heck out of that oven and she uses the oven in our newer rig too.

The market has to bob and weave with shortages, but it doesn't make it a logical choice or a preference. It's just dealing with the current market conditions.

Hopefully the OP can put a fridge under the tree for his wife (or just himself) next year.

No I don’t remember. In 2005 our camper was made by Kelty. (A tent, lol)
I may have phrased it wrong but I meant that campers are being offered with different features now and not with LP fridges. But icbw.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Reisender wrote:

solar is fine IF you are either parked in the sun or have portable panels in the sun or have electric hookup. A stretch of cloudy days dry camping....... another story.

yes, the do cool faster, and keep stuff colder in hot weather IF you have power for them. There are days camping where a compressor fridge would have been fine, but there have also been time camping in constant cloudy weather where compressor fridge would have meant running a generator even with all the solar we have.

You just can't beat the energy density in BTU/lb of propane with current alternatives. Weeks of fridge running on a gallon of propane.

Yah I hear ya. But with 400 watts of solar and a corresponding battery back even under cloudy skys you would probably be fine for a few days.

Anyway. Hope you find a solution. Happy camping and safe travels.

John.

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Administrator

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/22 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

No I don’t remember. In 2005 our camper was made by Kelty. (A tent, lol)

Awesome. I gave my girlfriend (now wife) a tent for Christmas the first year we were dating.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Yah I hear ya. But with 400 watts of solar and a corresponding battery back even under cloudy skys you would probably be fine for a few days.

Anyway. Hope you find a solution. Happy camping and safe travels.

John.

on a cloudy day that "400 watts of solar" is down to 100W or so, even less in heavy clouds. And if your in the northern US, in fall or spring not that many decent hours for solar "harvesting".

Yes it may be good for a day or two, but we often dry camp for a week or more and currently with a propane fridge even in cloudy days we don't need the generator. Comparing to my small trailer with a compressor fridge, I'd be running the generator every few days, PITA.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a brand new Northern Lite camper with a three way fridge. So if you are into truck campers, they are available. -Mark.

Cptnvideo

Arizona - most of the time

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ktmrfs wrote
"on a cloudy day that "400 watts of solar" is down to 100W or so, even less in heavy clouds. And if your in the northern US, in fall or spring not that many decent hours for solar "harvesting".

Yes it may be good for a day or two, but we often dry camp for a week or more and currently with a propane fridge even in cloudy days we don't need the generator. Comparing to my small trailer with a compressor fridge, I'd be running the generator every few days, PITA"

I agree with solar and more batteries. As far as the generator goes, MOST people that dry camp or boondock have a generator for those occasional times that solar is not ideal. Key word is occasional.

Bill & Linda
Arizona
2019 Dodge Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel
Hensley Trailer Saver BD5 hitch
2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
1600 watts solar, 3kw inverter/charger, 3 206AH LiFePo4 batteries

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/22 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cptnvideo wrote:

Ktmrfs wrote
"on a cloudy day that "400 watts of solar" is down to 100W or so, even less in heavy clouds. And if your in the northern US, in fall or spring not that many decent hours for solar "harvesting".

Yes it may be good for a day or two, but we often dry camp for a week or more and currently with a propane fridge even in cloudy days we don't need the generator. Comparing to my small trailer with a compressor fridge, I'd be running the generator every few days, PITA"

I agree with solar and more batteries. As far as the generator goes, MOST people that dry camp or boondock have a generator for those occasional times that solar is not ideal. Key word is occasional.

yes, occasional generator use does cover it IF you also have a decent charger. The WFCO's charge with such a low current it takes a LONG time to get a decent charge into the batteries when they are low, and seldom do people know how bad a charger they are for boondocking.

we have a honda generator, however since we added solar and have a propane fridge the ONLY time I've needed the generator is when it is hot enough to need to run the AC. We camp in some remote camgrounds with sites far apart, but even then when someone starts up a generator, we can hear it, More and more campers are adding solar, last trip probably 30% had portable panels out, very few generators starting, really nice and peaceful.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New camper without 12 volt fridge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.