RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Camping at 27 degrees.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping at 27 degrees.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
shannon62

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are new fulltimers,with 2007 bounder class a 38v. We are trying to stick around sw p.a. till thanksgiving, they are calling for low around 27 degrees. We have ducted heat,2 furnaces,with supposed basement heat so say's owners manual. I am going to disconnect from shore water and just use fresh tank,keep heat on 70,leave luggage lights on (1156) in wet storage,leave gray water open as always & empty black then shut and add antifreeze.Should that be good enough ?Thanks Shannon.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manuals are often generic so verify what they state and check that everything works. For 2 weeks out best to plan for lower temps. Open all cabinets and areas inside with water pipes. Doubtful that low wattage 1156 bulbs willl provide adequate heat. Consider 120V lights.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/22 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you are doing everything right. One thing that can get you are air leaks. Go out at night and with the lights on in the basement, look for any light escaping. Get those holes blocked with rags or tape. If the air leak is close to a water line it can easily cause it to freeze.

2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shannon62,

This thread has some excellent advice.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748.cfm

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/22 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keeping your furnace at 70 will go through a lot of propane. We keep ours at 55 and use about 1/4 tank per night. As long as it heats up in the day, you won't have to worry about the pipes freezing.

Edit- i said 55 because we ran a test on how much propane would be used ifvwe ran the heater at night.

Last camping trip, it was 26 the first morning and 21 the next. We did not run the heater at night. First thing in the morning, we turned in tbe Heater Buddy. The daytime temps were 65, so we didn't have any issues.

* This post was edited 11/09/22 03:32pm by ReneeG *

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have nothing to worry about, looking at the Pittsburgh forecast through beginning of December. Except maybe the garden hose freezing at night, which is easy to unhook and run off your tank.
If the temp is getting well above freezing during the day and only into the mid 20s at night, unless you literally have a camper water line that is totally exposed to the atmosphere, AND the daytime temps are staying below freezing.

Think about it this way. Takes a few hours to make ice cubes in a freezer and that is around 0 deg F.

Turn off your luggage lights, they won't add enough heat to do anything.
Don't bother draining gray and black. Again, a HUGE ice cube isn't going to freeze up unless it's below freezing for days. No AF needed in the P traps either.

If you don't believe me, take a bottle of ambient temp water, the first day it is getting below 32 at night, put it on the outside step and see how frozen it isn't the next morning.

Note, what I'm saying is not applicable to just leaving the camper for days unattended and hoping it doesn't get colder than forecasted.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston

Coast to Coast

Administrator

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/22 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp down in the 20s all the time. The issue is how deep into the 20s and how long will it stay that way?

Dipping down that low overnight and freezing the dog's water bowl is no big deal. If it stays in the 20s all day though, then it's serious.

We just keep the living quarters warm enough to be comfortable, which keeps the underbelly warm enough to prevent freezing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/22 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That sounds really excessive. I have camped with the daytime highs in the upper 30s and the lows about 20. I also turn the heat off at night and sleep under a couple of large blankets. I don't take any special precautions. It takes a long time to freeze tanks hard enough to do any damage. If you are worried try a half gallon of antifreeze in each tank.

JUSTWORK

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Below freezing unhook water hose unless heated, fill fresh water and unhook any sewer hoses. store hose in heated storage. As long as your furnace is running and your underbelly is heated your good.....

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/22 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then theirs idiots like me that went into the mountains and used my TT as a ski hit! 0-15F night vs day at times.

Reality, do what you doing. I never turned the heater off, kept it around 70f. Then again, you do not appear to have 4 kids from 6 months-18yrs with you over the 10+ yrs I did this.
If you do this alot, find the manual drain lines in the main lines, remove them! Water will freeze up, and you will not have water beyond that point. For me it was bathroom and hot water heater at rear of trailer. The front kitchen had water.
If you have exposed gray and black tanks, the may freeze, if temps are lower than freezing for a few days. They usually have room to expand, not a big deal.
I found having door vent covers to be a good thing when it snowed. Even with 2-3' of snow on the roof, we had ventilation. With out we had none.
My 02

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Camping at 27 degrees.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.