|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C Sprinter questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apologies in advance if these questions have come up before. We're possibly looking to downsize from our FW to a Class C on a sprinter chassis. Something in the 24' range. While I am fully aware each Rv is different and you have to do the math; Is towing a car ever a problem on these chassis'? We have a CRV set up to tow since we had our Class A years ago. Is maintenance and finding dealers to work on the Sprinter a challenge - especially while travelling? How's the ride, road manners and mileage on these?

We plan on test driving a few this weekend at a local dealer.

Thanks

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

MDKMDK

Free(er), for now, until the next "variant"

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing - GCWR is 15250 lbs, and GVWR is 11030 lbs. I tow a 4600 lb Wrangler with my 2018 Navion 24V. I keep the Navion weight under 10,600 lbs, and keep the towed weight under the 5000 lb hitch rating, and no problems.
Finding service away from home is a **** shoot for any RV these days. Just as many threads out there for "can't get service for my Ford class C" as there are for Sprinters. And some of that is at home. Check around where you live, and ask the local dealers if they'll work on whatever you plan on buying, before you buy. You may be surprised.
Do a search on gas versus diesel class c, and you'll find a few threads. It's one of the most popular topics on most RV forums. There's usually some good feedback from Sprinter owners on them.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Apologies in advance if these questions have come up before. We're possibly looking to downsize from our FW to a Class C on a sprinter chassis. Something in the 24' range. While I am fully aware each Rv is different and you have to do the math; Is towing a car ever a problem on these chassis'? We have a CRV set up to tow since we had our Class A years ago. Is maintenance and finding dealers to work on the Sprinter a challenge - especially while travelling? How's the ride, road manners and mileage on these?

We plan on test driving a few this weekend at a local dealer.

Thanks

Sprinters are a pia from the wacky "driver assistance", lack of range on standard tank(24.5gal), and the lack of dealers for service. We have a Winnie Revel based on a sprinter. It has 2 alternators, one squeals on startup, and CW and Benz are reluctant to even look at it. Getting the run around from dealerships and it's 200 miles each way for service. And it's still under warranty from both. SMH There is a Ford dealer 13 miles away.

The folks we bought the van from owned 2 Revels and they were both sold and replaced by the Winnne ECCO based on a Ford transit. It's a great rig in the 24' range, but didn't meet our needs due to size. I highly recommend putting the ECCO on the list to look at.

The ride is fine, and they are a pleasure to drive, other than having to reset the "driver assistance" every time the engine is turned off. My wife was able drive it in NV w some serious cross winds(50-60mph) and through a snowstorm on another leg through NV and I'm still here to type about it. LOL Gas mileage is anywhere from 12-16mpg depending on the usual factors.

I would suspect it would have no problem w the CRV although I would do the weighing and math first just so you know exactly where you stand.

* This post was edited 11/15/22 08:56am by cptqueeg *

MDKMDK

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had to buy a new small class C, the EKKO would be on the list.
However, apparently, some of it's electronics and chassis based (Ford) safety equipment is a little quirky as well. The lane change warning being one that's been mentioned. It's had some problems with the shower drain "bilge pump" system, and the rear view camera on them doesn't have an "always on" setting to monitor the rear of the vehicle and your towed (if you tow). It's also got a typically cramped cockpit due to the position of the engine towards the rear (no idea why Ford did it that way), and it's smaller than the Sprinter's cockpit. I'd lose the Onan gas genset, as it's also got a 2nd alternator to charge what can be 640Ah LiFePO4 battery bank that can run the 12V A/C. Quietly. Plus around 500W of rooftop solar. Quite a techie little camper.
Of course, some of these things have been addressed by now, some not.
I'd still have to give it a look, as the Eco-Boost V6 has some "diesel like" HP and torque numbers at much lower RPMs than their V10/V8 screamers. The price for one is a little high, and some of the options are silly, at best.
Still it's got 4 season camping ability, so it would be one to consider for me.

* This post was edited 11/15/22 10:24am by MDKMDK *

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the Li and forget the genset. The 2nd alternator is all you need. The sellers of the Revel I got were going to have some changes done to the cockpit, like remounting the passenger seat. The husband was a portly little dude and he had trouble squeezing in and making himself comfortable.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should mention that we will be looking at used. I have our budget around $80k or under. I think that puts us looking at units about 6 years old or older.

The one locally that caught my eye is a 2016 Forest River RV Sunseeker MBS 2400R. Priced at $79k with 23k miles. We like the floorplan.

Moving into a smaller C will be a shock in terms of interior room but the floorplan looks like it would work and it has a fair amount of storage compared to other sprinter based C's.

I hadn't considered fuel tank size. Coming from a 48 gal tank this would literally cut our range in half. But I am guessing it's probably far more nimble to get fuel than our truck and FW.

these numbers concern me a bit:
Hitch Weight 4200 lbs Gross Weight 11030 lbs
Cargo Weight 1100 lbs

Our CRV comes in about 3400lbs. and we have a supplemental brake system - actually ready brute elite bars with built in brakes.

Our biggest consideration is going back to the comforts of a motorhome vs FW and the ability to use everything en-route. But ride quality is also a primary concern. Our gas class A's rode awful no matter what we did. We also want something DW feels comfortable driving. She would never drive our Class A's or the truck/FW combo. She has driven a standard C and felt comfortable.

MDKMDK

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's easier to get seated in the EKKO driver/passenger seats by entering through the cab doors, than from the coach. The TV (if optioned) is mounted forward center over the cockpit, facing directly rearward, with no comfortable viewing position located in the coach. Another shortfall. The batwing awning is useless, IMO. We'd never use it. The space where the outdoor kitchen is stored makes a nice litter box storage area, as demoed in the FitRV video. I doubt we'd use the outdoor kitchen either, but that one's still under consideration, if we could afford one.
We'll keep our Sprinter for now. I've modded it to where it's comfortable for us, and it's already paid for. We get around 15mpg solo, 13mpg towing. Keeping the speed reasonable around 60mph, give or take.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

lack of range on standard tank(24.5gal), and the lack of dealers for service. We have a Winnie Revel based on a sprinter. It has 2 alternators, one squeals on startup, and CW and Benz are reluctant to even look at it. Getting the run around from dealerships and it's 200 miles each way for service. And it's still under warranty from both. SMH There is a Ford dealer 13 miles away.

^This
While Sprinters are generally regarded a reliable and VERY popular in the delivery and hospitality markets, what cptqueeq said is what our company equipment dept came to the conclusion of as well.
Although we didn't have a huge number of them, the cost of parts and availability of service was expensive and lacking.
Mercedes cornered the market with the only van like this 15 years ago or whenever and was the only way to get an efficient little diesel in a van for quite some time.
I wonder if not for the diesel, if they would have gained the popularity they seem to have in the industries.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

well mines old now a 2006 sprinter LTV we,ve loved it from day one. couple little problems but a mom/pop shop on the road fixed. has 5cyc engine ,pulls my boat just fine.I,d buy another in a heart beat. look up leisure travel vans before you buy a different brand . they don,t build junk. nothing in our unit has gave us trouble. the frig one time but they didn,t build that.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/22 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear commercial drivers complaining about emissions laws creating havoc in general. Talk to fleet mechanics . They are the one’s who know the vehicle in the wide-range perspective.

I agree LTV’s seem real nice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Class C Sprinter questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.