RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Safety: Microwave Fire!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Safety: Microwave Fire!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
thewayweroll

Missouri

New Member

Joined: 06/21/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Folks,
The kids have moved out. The wife & I have been able to spend more time in our TC. I installed a microwave when we first bought our used Lance. It is a 700 watt so we can run it off the inverter when needed.

I had got into a habit of putting a piece of paper towel underneath the plate to absorb any extra moisture from cooking. There was a piece left inside the microwave when I was doing some testing on a new 30 amp plug in I installed at the house. Long story short... I ran the microwave with nothing inside of it. I didn't realize there was a piece of paper towel inside & even if I did it wouldn't of changed anything. Well, that all came to an end.

While the microwave was running I went outside & quickly smelled smoke...****! Ran back in & the Microwave ignited the Paper towel. My assumption is that if you have food inside with a paper towel than the energy is not all going towards the paper towel & that's why most get away with it. However, if there is nothing inside the towel gets 100% of the energy. Yes, there was an active fire inside the small 700 watt microwave. Needless to say I will no longer be using any paper towels inside anymore.

I just wanted to share this experience with you all.. Stay safe my friends!


2007 Ford F-350 XLT DRW 13K GVWR|Front Hitch|TorkLift 20K 48"
1994 Lance 990 2.5Kw Onan|840 Watts Solar w/220Ah AGM

profdant139

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 11/14/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! That is surprising, since using a micro with a paper towel under a dish ordinarily does not heat up the paper. Thanks for the tip!!


2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."


opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard about paper towels catching fire before. But until now I figured it was probably an urban legend. Glad you aren't posting that your camper or truck was damaged.


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/15/22 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thewayweroll wrote:

I ran the microwave with nothing inside of it.
NEVER do that


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

Senior Member

Joined: 01/14/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had heard long ago that it was hard on the microwave 'tube' to operate it without a 'load' for the power so never thought to operate it without some food or drink in it.


Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

2oldman

NM

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want a real thrill put something metal in there.

thewayweroll

Missouri

New Member

Joined: 06/21/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Fire cracked it.. Glad it wasn't worse!

thewayweroll

Missouri

New Member

Joined: 06/21/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Wow! That is surprising, since using a micro with a paper towel under a dish ordinarily does not heat up the paper. Thanks for the tip!!


Thanks for Reading!

thewayweroll

Missouri

New Member

Joined: 06/21/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I've heard about paper towels catching fire before. But until now I figured it was probably an urban legend. Glad you aren't posting that your camper or truck was damaged.


I would've assumed an urban legend too until It happened. Like a lot of people in life... If you don't see it it must not be true. We are lucky it didn't go any further than the small fire inside the microwave

thewayweroll

Missouri

New Member

Joined: 06/21/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/15/22 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

thewayweroll wrote:

I ran the microwave with nothing inside of it.
NEVER do that


Too late! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Safety: Microwave Fire!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.