RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Are the new WFCO's as crappy as the old ones?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Are the new WFCO's as crappy as the old ones?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
joebedford

Made It!

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2003

View Profile



Posted: 01/18/23 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

joebedford wrote:

I have a "crappy" WFCO 68100. It's 11 years old. I have no idea if it goes into bulk mode.

Is that bad?
Have you ever pushed the button?


Nope. Can't reach it.

waexplorer

Eatonville, WA

Full Member

Joined: 11/12/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/18/23 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

joebedford wrote:

I have a "crappy" WFCO 68100. It's 11 years old. I have no idea if it goes into bulk mode.

Is that bad?
Have you ever pushed the button?


I have pushed the button to go back to fast charge when my batteries were still low after it stops fast charging in about an hour when were boondocking and using the generator. Mostly I let it do it's thing. The pendant flashes differently for each mode.


94 Fleetwood Tioga 31N. HWH levelers. Rear air bags. Solar trickle charger. Golf cart batteries. Fantastic Fans. Xantrex Link 10. Bilstein shocks. Rear View Camera. Progressive Dynamics PD9270 More to come....


Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/18/23 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

waexplorer wrote:

If your charging amps are above 40 amps I'd say that's ok. Most lithium batteries have BMS's that are 50 amp or 100 amp charge/discharge capable. 55 watts is the max system output including lights, accessories etc. Whatever is left is for charging. If you're not having issues I wouldn't change it yet. You want charge voltage around 14.4 for lithium. If it's 13.6 or so that is for flooded lead acid. Lithium batteries don't have float mode. There are several good youtube videos show lithium charge and discharge curves. Do you have the Zamp 30 amp solar controller above the bed like mine? Make sure it is set to lithium also.


The previous owner told me he changed the charger for one that's compatible with Lithiums and when I slid the charger out I saw "8955Lis200724" on the label and assumed the 'Lis' part of it meant it was the Lithium charger but after doing some more clicking I now don't think it is. It doesn't look like the one on the WFCO site that sposed to be the Lithium conversion:
lithium replacement

I want to get the most bang for my buck when I need to fire up the Honda 2000 to charge the batteries so I'll be looking for something that puts out 75 or 80 amps or something.


06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, 480 watts solar, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600

2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS, 600 watts solar, 3-100Ah Lithiums, 12volt Norcold Fridge


Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/18/23 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

I have a "crappy" WFCO 68100. It's 11 years old. I have no idea if it goes into bulk mode.

Is that bad?


If it's worked for you and haven't had an issue with it don't worry about it.

I have a 12v fridge and only boondock so I want to charge my lithiums as fast as possible when runnung my genny, that's why I started this thread!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 06/01/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/23 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think of WHIFFIES in the same light as I do ten-for-a-dollar junk store disposible razors. Yeah. That laughable.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/19/23 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

waexplorer wrote:

If your charging amps are above 40 amps I'd say that's ok. Most lithium batteries have BMS's that are 50 amp or 100 amp charge/discharge capable. 55 watts is the max system output including lights, accessories etc. Whatever is left is for charging. If you're not having issues I wouldn't change it yet. You want charge voltage around 14.4 for lithium. If it's 13.6 or so that is for flooded lead acid. Lithium batteries don't have float mode. There are several good youtube videos show lithium charge and discharge curves. Do you have the Zamp 30 amp solar controller above the bed like mine? Make sure it is set to lithium also.


The previous owner told me he changed the charger for one that's compatible with Lithiums and when I slid the charger out I saw "8955Lis200724" on the label and assumed the 'Lis' part of it meant it was the Lithium charger but after doing some more clicking I now don't think it is. It doesn't look like the one on the WFCO site that sposed to be the Lithium conversion:
lithium replacement

I want to get the most bang for my buck when I need to fire up the Honda 2000 to charge the batteries so I'll be looking for something that puts out 75 or 80 amps or something.


According to the WFCO website, your "8955Lis200724" is lithium compatible.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/19/23 10:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:



According to the WFCO website, your "8955Lis200724" is lithium compatible.


Is it? It doesn;t have the 'lithium switch' so I didn't think so.
I looked at the website and couldn't find anything so I sent there tech support an email.
Thanks Boon Docker.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/20/23 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to their ads, the latest version of the WECO converters "automatically" sense what type of battery is installed, and switch to the appropriate voltages. That said, if they do it like they did with the older converters, I'll believe it when I see it.


Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog


Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 10/30/2015

View Profile



Posted: 01/20/23 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherguy wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:



According to the WFCO website, your "8955Lis200724" is lithium compatible.


Is it? It doesn;t have the 'lithium switch' so I didn't think so.
I looked at the website and couldn't find anything so I sent there tech support an email.
Thanks Boon Docker.


You're welcome.
Let us know what the tech has to say.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

Senior Member

Joined: 07/31/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/20/23 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:



You're welcome.
Let us know what the tech has to say.


Well I knew it wasn't one of the new "auto detect" models cuz it doesn't have the colored LED's, couldn't find the 'lithium switch' the other ones have and today tech support told me,
"The WF-8955-AD-MBA supersedes the WF-8955LiS-MBA. Both are lithium compatible.
You have a WF-8955LiS-MBA which should have a manual switch to put it in lithium mode. The WF-8955-AD-MBA has an “auto-detect” feature that puts it in lithium mode.
The lithium switch location can vary. I believe I have yours figured out but will verify that next week and get back with you."

I think I'm going to put the WFCO on it's own breaker and add a new 20 amp breaker in the panel, run a 12-3 cable to the pass through and install some kind of higher amp charger there.
That's what I did in our old trailer, used a PD9280 that time.
Thx
Will

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Are the new WFCO's as crappy as the old ones?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.