RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: No sway bars??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> No sway bars??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JDS549

SPEARMAN, TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/02 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a simple fricton sway bar is probably all you need. we used them for years before the new
gadgets... enjoy

JERRY FROM TEXAS
I "NEED" A FREIGHTLINER
1999 F250, DIESEL,AUTO, 3.73, 265'S
2000 27 CARDINAL
BIG DOG AND (MEAN LITTLE DOG)
(ALL OUTGOING VIRUS CHECKED)

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/02 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the friction sway bars do work but there are other hitches that work better...

Result is safer, more stable towing...

Like Pulltoy, that's why I tow with a 250SD and a Pullrite hitch... I just don't worry about sway and the hitch anymore... It's as solid as a rock in all conditions which cannot be said for friction sway bars...

There are a lot of good hitches out there but only TWO that ELIMINATE sway (Hensley and Pullrite), others minimize it!!! And friction bars while they work reasonably well in good weather should be disabled when encountering wet ot slippery conditions (they can cause loss of tow vehicle directional control)... Kind of ironic, just when you need it most, you have to disable it...

I don't think Chuckb is going to have much of a problem with his setup but I would still have at least a friction type sway bar on it...

Best Regards,
Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/02 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitch “expert”? Yeah, right. He’s an idiot for telling you this. This, in my opinion, shouldn't even be a question! For the marginal cost of even a good sway control, why would anyone choose NOT to use one? I have never understood this mindset. I can't believe the amount of dealers who will tell someone that they don't need to use one. This is amazing. I'll bet if you tell them you'll install it yourself, then they'll tell you that you should use one. They are telling you this because the installation of a sway control is not cost effective. For the small cost of the device, and the time needed to install it, they break even if not lose money.

A sway control will not interfere with performance, maneuverability, fun, gas mileage, your kids behavior, and will do no harm to the truck or the trailer. Why would anybody spend $25,000 on a trailer and not bother to spend $99 for a sway bar? It just doesn’t make sense. Many will tell you to try towing without it and get one if you need to. But you may realize you need one AFTER you have rolled into a ditch. Just a guess, but I think it would be too late at that point. Even a properly loaded trailer with the optimum tongue weight is susceptible to sway.

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

NY CAMPER

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/02 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with the majority here, you need at least the minimum in sway control. More than the cost of everything you can't put a value on life and you just may save yours, someone in your family or someone elses by having some sort of anti sway setup. As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to being safe. Can you really be too safe? I think not.

Joe
Carriage 31KS3 Cameo LXI.
2003 Ford F-350 Crew Cab, 6.0 diesel, short bed, 4x4 Prodigy

DennisT

Allen County, IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/02 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with the WD bars only. You do not need the sway control if your trailer is not swaying. We have a 31' Terry with no sway, (just the Reese WD hitch) and my wife pulls it in high wind with me sleeping next to her, (one eye open) :~)
Do not waste your money on the sway if the trailer does not sway. Load correctly, drive within your limits, not what everyone else is driving and you will do fine.

2003 F 250 4x4 Crew
2003 Terry 31G EX Freedom Edition.

DennisT

Allen County, IN

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/02 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly, for a 20' geez..... The weight dist hitch he has, is more than enough.

Period.

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/02 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with TXiceman...

This past weekend I pulled a trailer (had a 1/2 ton chevy on it) homw with no wd or sway. Rig ran great at 55, at 60 started to move so I ran 55 (big duh there [emoticon]). Well a truck running 80+ passed me and started the trailer a rocking and a rolling and got hairy for a while (he was the 4-5 truck to pass me). We also had a rough stretch of road set off another time of fun. So even though you run good without the hitch, it will make it safer for you and your family!

Bill
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

chuckb1

louisville,co usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/02 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MtnGoat,

As I stated in my original post, I have a Reese WD hitch but I don't have sway bar(s). Yesterday afternoon I took my first test drive (50 miles) on the interstate highway. Drove at constant speeds of 55, 60, 65, 70, and 75. There was not much wind but, a couple of semi's did blow by me and I did not notice any sway.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/02 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hiya Chuck:

I am glad your 'limited test drive' went well for you. You came in and asked for advice, and received very good advice from others here with considerable experience, saying at a minimum, a friction sway bar is recommended.

Some others are towing similiar or larger TT without sway control and have 'lucked out' thus far. That does not mean they have a safe setup. When it comes to ones self and family, and the others on the road, it is only common sense (and responsible) to do all you reasonably can to be somewhat assured you are safely setup.

IMO, you do need some sway control! Good luck and I wish you and your family happy and 'safe' rv'in.

chuckb1

louisville,co usa

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/02 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kusani and others.......

Why is it that some folks never experience sway without sway control? Is it high end tongue weight? Is it the heavy duty tow vehicle. Is it a well designed trailer. Or is it just an unknown combination of factors??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> No sway bars??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.