RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: How many gallons of anti-freeze?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many gallons of anti-freeze?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron:

Another option is to 'blow the lines with air' (low pressure) and then just add some anti-freeze to the p-traps for insurance.

Happy rv'in.

john b

anywhere USA!

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a thirty ft trailer and it takes two gallons and about ten minutes to winterize! Never put anti freeze in your freshwater tank as it is very hard to get that taste out if you drink from your tank! If you drain your water tank on the way home from your last trip you will sloah it all out and the little bit left won`t hurt a thing! I have heard many stories about winterizing but have never found it tto be anything but a simple short project!

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1.5 gallons for mine. Do you have the water pump bypass kit? This is a kit that you install between the fresh tank and the pump, and it sucks the antifreeze directly out of the bottle rather than pouring it in your water tank which uses more, takes longer, and just wait until you have to flush the water tank out to use it again...make a weekend out of it! [emoticon]

2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4X4, 6.6L Duramax/Allison, Amsoil dual oil bypass filter system, Demco Recon 21K hitch. 2004 Puma 28' 5th wheel. USAF/Desert Storm Vet. CDL-A driver for Walmart.

Fab

Reynolds Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your coach was leaning away from the pick-up in the tank.

But I use 10 gallons to winterize mine, I fill the tank with the antifreeze, and run it through all of the lines. This includes running it through the hot water tank, 6 gallons.

After everything is running pink, I drain the hot water tank (using a home made hose) back into the bottles and then re-fill the holding tank. We use the antifreeze to flush the toilet, (pee-pee only rule applies) on our shorter weekend winter trips.

Menards has it on sale by us right now for $1.96 per gallon, 20 bucks a season.

In the spring I drain the tank, add 1 gallon of generic bleach fill the tank and clear the lines of antifreeze, let sit over night. I drain completely fill and drain 2 more times and all antifreeze/bleach taste is gone.

*This Message was edited on 25-Aug-02 01:41 PM by Fab*

alfredmay

West Milford, NJ / Donna, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a water filter system [I do] and all your water [tank and city] goes thru it [mine does] the filter can turn your pink antifreeze clear by filtering out the dye. In my unit you must remove the water filter FIRST before using antifreeze.

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

fotobugs

Looking for Mayberry

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Gal. tops. Don't forget your outside spigots if you have them.

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/02 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the stuff one forgets. Removing filters, yes. Outside spigots like outside shower, yes. Must be more...

Yardvarkers

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/04 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Do you have the water pump bypass kit? This is a kit that you install between the fresh tank and the pump, and it sucks the antifreeze directly out of the bottle rather than pouring it in your water tank which uses more, takes longer, and just wait until you have to flush the water tank out to use it again...make a weekend out of it! [emoticon]

This is not a bypass kit. It's a Permanent Pump Converter The bypass is for the water heater.
http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/painless.html
http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/plumbing/bypass.jpghttp://
www.timberman.com/PLUMBING/images/camco8.jpg

* This post was edited 09/06/04 01:47pm by Yardvarkers *

"Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- William Penn

achingtogo

eau claire wi usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/03 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just winterized my 5th wh down in Tx. Tookabout 2 gallons as we don't use fresh water tank. Was wondering if when you winterize and then drive 1300 miles to cold weather do you have to add more antifreeze to p traps or what??

2002 Duramax LB-LT
Prodigy
Duraliner-RBW
32 Jayco Designer
Wife-Earline">
1 choc lab - Mandy">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many gallons of anti-freeze?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.