|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bed liner

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/02 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a Line-X and love it. Should only cost you about $400. We use our truck as a truck as well as a tow vehicle and have had no problems with scratches or anything. Haven't heard anything bad about Rhino, either. They just didn't bother to call us back, so Line-X won.

LLeopold

Windsor, CO USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/02 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here. I swear by my Rhino Lining. The only argument I could see in having the hitch installed before having the lining sprayed in is if the hitch installer makes a mistake in drilling. Then the lining could cover and seal the mistake. But this is extremely rare and I would think that the installer would cover the cost of patching the spray in liner anyway.

BTW. As a testimony to Rhino Lining, I've hauled chemical fire extinguishers to/from Boy Scout camp and had one empty itself into the bed of my truck during transit. Had I not had the lining, it would have damaged or removed the finish. I hosed down the bed, and you couldn't tell that anything had happened. I find that the non-skid surface is great when transporting materials. I'm sure that the same would hold true for the Line-X product.

Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

Judgerr

Ilinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

O.K. what is the real scoop on the sprayed in bed liners??? I just bought a used 2000 F-350 to tow a fiver. {yet to be purchased} Until now all I heard was install hitch first then get liner. Unfortunately the truck I bought already has the sprayed in liner. I've had some dealers tell me it should be sprayed in first. Yet on the forum the general consensus seems to be, "hitch first" then bedliner.

2008 F-350 6.8 DRW Lariat 4x2 Aug 2014. Scan Gauge II, Bilsteins,
Full Timing & Loving it!
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 321RLTS
I'm not a judge, it's just a nickname from USMC days!
"SEMPER FI" Vietnam 1968!

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my spray in. Tip: do not do it yourself. You'll never get a quality job like the pros.

hangman

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well worth the money, and things don't slide around.

[red][b] The Hangman [/red][/b] [green]2002 GMC 2500HD SLT/EC/SB[/green] [purple]Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel[/purple] [blue]Allison 1000 5 speed auto[/blue] [green]1999 29 foot Golden Falcon 28RKS 5er with slide-out[/green] [purple]Amateur Radio Operator VA3DLT[/purple] [blue]Email me at [email] va3dlt@rac.ca [/email][/blue][img]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pros and cons of spray-in bed liners

Well I would put it this way:

If you want a clean look for use with light weight items, garden tools, ladders, boxes, etc...the spray in is the way to go.

If you are looking for use with bricks, large rocks, more heavy duty, you might want to consider a drop-in because the spray-in may tear and hard hits will dent the sheetmetal of the bed.

If you are looking to install a 5th wheel hitch, spray-in is the ONLY way to go. Otherwise, you have to cut out the areas where the rails contact the bed.

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

cmoehle

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The three or four installers I called before having my done and my read on a lot of posts is, the general consensus is spray in liner before hitch, because the spray in liner has very little give; but hitch before drop in liner, because it has more give.

No problem with hitch before spray in liner except it may cost a little more to spray in liner between hitch rail holes.

I have also heard that the hitch before drop in liner is a myth. The hitch rails are bolted to the frame thru a spacer so bed and liner float free. Here is a better explanation that I can give: Rhino Vs LineX, scroll down to NH_Bob's post.

*This Message was edited on 16-Sep-02 04:52 PM by cmoehle*

CampfireSoapbox.com

ktp_guy

La Grange, KY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/02 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went with the Line-X, installed the same week we picked the truck up. In addition to hauling a Lance 820, and our currant SunnyBrook, truck has hauled tons on landscape materials. Hose it out, and it looks almost new (original black has faded to where it matches the bed rail covers).

Line-X was chosen over Rhino based on local dealers; Line-X dealer was willing to spend more time describing the process, and opened his shop on a Saturday for me when I couldn't get in during the week. It could just as easily gone the other way.

2000 F350 SC SB SRW 4x4 V10 auto 4:30 LS, pulling 2002 SunnyBrook 31BWFS single slide using a Reese 16K slider hitch.

LLeopold

Windsor, CO USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/16/02 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce said: "If you are looking for use with bricks, large rocks, more heavy duty, you might want to consider a drop-in because the spray-in may tear and hard hits will dent the sheetmetal of the bed."

Wouldn't this happen with a drop-in as well? My Rhino Lining has a lifetime warranty that, in the unlikely event that it gets gouged or torn, I can take it to any Rhino Lining dealer and they will fill/repair it for free.

I could not obtain that guarantee for a drop-in liner. That, combined with the idea of moisture trapping between the drop-in liner and truck bed made the choice obvious for me.

The only reason I did not go with Line-X was I could not find a dealer/applictor locally so that I could compare.

Gerbow

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/16/02 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,

"If you are looking to install a 5th wheel hitch, spray-in is the ONLY way to go. Otherwise, you have to cut out the areas where the rails contact the bed."

I used my truck with drop in liner to pull my TT before I bought the 5er. The result was that I cut the liner for the bedrails ... not the ideal solution. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with a spray in liner ... not sure which!!

A friend has a drop in liner in his truck and did not cut it to install the bedrails for his hitch.
He put 6" lengths of 1/2" rod in the groves of the
liner on each side of the bolts that fasten the bedrails. He has been using it like that for at least 5 years without any problems, but I was not comfortable going that route.

Gerry, Marie and Shan the Border Collie
----------------------------------------
2001 Dodge Ram, 2000 Wildwood 5th wheel, Reese Kwik Slide.
Monitor CB 13 the RV channel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Bed liner
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.