RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jpman

Anderson, SC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/02 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both are excellant but IMO the Dual Cams get the edge because of the cams locking in place which IMO helps to keep the tow vehicle and TT in concert with each other. Also when you set the chains properly its just as simple to lock the cams up as to set the spring arms of the equalizer. Both are well designed. Almost a matter of personal preference. Something to consider is which one has a local dealer near you. This is the 50th anniversary of Reese.

wadem57

Exeter, RI 02822

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/02 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too like the Equal-i-zer I have a 2001 Gulfstream 35' TT no sway no nothing!!! Great for the $$$. Plus you can back up with the equal-i-zer you can't do that with the others!!

2lMan

Brewer, ME

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/02 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Dual Cam. It is amazing how some people don't feel that you need any sway control. It seemed to work great. You CAN back up with a dual cam, just not with a friction unit.

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 Axle - 2002 Sprinter Quad Bunkhouse

Home is where you bring it!

docjohn

Boerne, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/02 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone had a dual cam that DIDN'T work? I mean you had inadequate sway control with it, and had to get an Equalizer or Hensley?

Seems like the Dual Cam is the best deal for the money, just wondering if anyone has had bad luck with it.

Sly-one

In Sunny SW Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/02 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer where we will be buying our trailer only sells the dual cam set-up. I have heard that although both systems pull very well, sometimes the dual-cam binds up if parked on an angle, which then requires taking a wrench to it for disassembly. Is this true? the Equilizer does not seem to have this problem, according to responses I have read.
Tim

*This Message was edited on 23-Oct-02 10:23 PM by Sly-one*

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/02 12:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once again this old wives tale makes it into print. YOU can back up with a friction unit in place. All it does is slide in and out of itself. It has no way of knowing if you're going forwards or backwards. If you jacknife the rig, you will cause damage to the unit. This is true no matter what system is used.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1380 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

duh

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/02 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dual-Cam, Equalizer and a sway bar all control sway through the use of friction. When the force of the sway is greater than the force applied by the friction, the trailer will sway.

duh

MtnGoat

La Plata, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/02 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had mine at soem horrendus angles and it has never bound up or been overly hard to take off. It has creeked at me a few times thought [emoticon]

Bill
2001 Ford Excursion V10
Equal-i-zer, Voyager Brake Control
2 Artic Cat 500 4x4 ATVs
27' 1978 Del Rey TT

durhamite

Middletown, CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/02 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have backed my 28BH-S up at extreme angles with my Dual Cam and have not had any problems. I applied waterproof grease to the hitch ball and where the bars rest on the arms and the setup is perfectly quiet. If something can be bent, I would have bent it by now. I would guess anyone who has bent their hitch had it installed incorrectly.

As far as what setup is better. I would say it depends on what you currently have. If I were starting from scratch, I would order an Equalizer from www.hitchcorner.com as the most economical and best value. If I had a Reese/Draw Tight w/d setup, I would simply add the Dual Cam. From what I have read, either set-up is equally effective.

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/02 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think there IS such a thing as a dual-cam system that DIDN'T work. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.