RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: READY FOR A HITCH CHANGE!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> READY FOR A HITCH CHANGE!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
martz

Rochester, IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/03 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We in process of purchasing a Flagstaff 26DS travel trailer. According to the Forest River information the 26DS dry weight is 3742 # and tongue weight is 391#.

Our tow vehicle is a 2002 Ford E350 with a V10 6.8L engine.

We have been puling a pop up with a GVWR of about 3000# with a simple ball hitch and have had no problems.

My question is can we use a Reese dual cam hitch or should we bite the bullet ($$)and go for either a Hensley or PullRite hitch?

We are new at trailering and any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Bill Martz
Rochester, Illinois

* This post was edited 08/09/03 03:14pm by martz *

William Martz

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/03 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the PullRite fits your tow vehicle, it's a steal at that price. Even if it's missing a couple small parts, it's still a deal. However, before you buy it, check out the condition of the two large rollers on the tow bar (the swinging part). They cannot be lubricated and they have gone waaay up in price to replace. Don't worry if the two smaller rollers are rusty or seized. They are easy to replace or clean up. They are also not critical to towing. The small rollers don't even touch anything when you're all hooked up. They are only there to keep the bar from falling off when not hitched. If you look at the tow bar, it will probably look "bent" in one dimension. That is supposed to be there. Also, make sure it has an adjustable ball mount (the heavy thing the hitch ball is bolted to.) The old ones had fixed ball mounts which were a pain in the butt. If it is adjustable, you will see two large bolts going through the ball mount and some "teeth" on both sides.

If the hitch is missing any small parts, such as bolts or backing plates, those are standard hardware store things. If the brackets are missing, you can get those for a reasonable (kinda) price from PullRite.

Kusani

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/03 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Martz, hiya.

For the size/weight of TT you have, imo, the Reese Dualcam will work very well for you and will give you excellent towing control. Check the size/weight of the TT in my signature and it is working great with that setup.

Take care and happy rv'in. [emoticon]

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/03 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Martz, perhaps this may help. I have been reading these threads (and some other forums) for over a year now and in that time have seen perhaps 2-3 (maybe more) posts from people who have been towing with various brands of "sway control" systems and lost their rigs when they went into an uncontrollable sway event. I have yet to see (or even hear of) someone who lost their rig to an uncontrolled sway situation while using a PullRite. To be sure, percentage-wise, there are not nearly as many PRs out there as there are other brands, but if they didn't do what was claimed they do, (eliminate sway) people would be pointing out failures. There are folks on here (and other forums) that are so anti-PullRite and anti-Hensley (and PRO whatever "sway control" they are currently using) that if evidence of either hitch permitting a classic sway event was to be found, you can bet it would be trumpeted from the rooftops. Yet, as I said, I have never heard of such an incident. This is not to say they are crash proof, just that one particular type of situation, the classic sway, is removed from the equation. There are no "sway controls" on a PullRite and none are needed because the design fixes the underlying cause of sway. I towed with the DualCam for many years and thought it was the best of the "sway controls." I have now been towing for a number of years with the PullRite. I'm now on my second PR. I would not willingly go back to towing with the DC. I've seen firsthand, many times, how superior are the capabilities of the PR over the Dual Cam. Those who advise getting the DC probably have never towed with a PullRite.

* This post was last edited 08/10/03 10:12am by PullToy *   View edit history

JEBar

Willow Springs, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/03 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All systems mentioned above will do a reasonable job. We have a Reese Dual Cam and find it to give excellent (safe) service for a comparatively reasonable price .... Jim

'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

james decicco

watertown ma usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/03 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kenneth Hi I just bought a outback 26 rs bh the dealer never showed me how to hook up the wd hitch. Do I hook up the same way as i did with my popup or do i hook up and apply the spring bars and complet the hook up and then put the sway bar on
Jim

james decicco

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/03 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi James,
Click on this link which will take you to the Reese install instructions. Then scroll down to Weight Distributing Hitches and choose the one you have. A PDF will open up with the install and adjustment and hookup instructions.

Basically, you just lock the coupler on the ball, jack up the trailer with the ball hooked up (you will also raise the back of the truck), hook up your chains attached to the spring bars, let the tongue back down, hook up electric plug, safety chains and your friction sway bar and you are ready to roll. [emoticon]
The reason you jack up the trailer with the ball hooked up is to relieve some of the pressure needed to draw up the spring bars with the chains. If you do not do this, it is often very difficult to raise the snap-up brackets with the chains attached - even using a piece of pipe. Those spring bars are under a lot of tension.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

james decicco

watertown ma usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/03 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks Barney S

VeryOldDog

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/03 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based upon the discussions on the various topic on this forum, I purchased a Reese High Performance Dual Cam Sway control fitted to the appropriate Reese Trunion Hitch for my Trailer. Granted, I am not towing a lot by some of the standards here and I also tow with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison combination, but i will tell you that it just tows with ease and it is as straight as an arrow at 70mph not that I drive that speed all the time. What is really fantastic and important to me is the ease of hitching up and unhitching. I cannot be more please with the performance. I'm sure that you can purchase more insurance for your money with the Hensley or Pullrite, but you should make sure that you are getting the price/performance option you really need for the combination tow vehicle and the trailer being towed. The price/performance of the Reesse HP dual cam is excellenet for the money involved and I believe it really does out perform friction sway control by a wide margin.

Just an old camper
Wonderful wife
Faithful Golden Retriever: Oliver
2005 Viking 1906ST

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/03 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

V-O-D

The relative sizes of the truck and the trailer are critical in comparing sway and hitches.

You have a very substantial truck and a rather small trailer (at least compared to many we see). If a person was pulling the max trailer for their vehicle, or over max, they'd benefit from greater sway damping or sway control in the hitch.

Dual-cam is a huge step up from the usual friction sway damping bar. Nothing wrong with it with the right sized trailer, and with a larger trailer or smaller truck the Pullrite or Hensley really pay off. As always, nothing makes an overloaded or poorly set up rig safe.

Ken

I'm free of prostate cancer for 5 years now.
All men over age 50 should get an annual PSA blood test. Mine had a low reading, but the yearly jump was significant. The biopsy showed cancer just entering the aggressive stage. Dr. Hackenslash removed it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> READY FOR A HITCH CHANGE!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.