RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 2 Honda 2000s or 1 Honda 3000 generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 2 Honda 2000s or 1 Honda 3000 generator?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DaveP

Hudson, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/03 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JodiG,
If your rig has a 30 amp service, you need a 3600 watt generator. If I were making the decision I'd go with 2 Honda 2000s or a 4000 watt generator. I would not consider the 3000 watt generator. The biggest power hog is your Air Conditioner. It uses the most power when the compressor is starting. If the current isn't available the compressor can (and will) self-destruct.

David and Jeannette
2016 Freedom Elite
2005 Rialta 22QD
No toads.

PullToy

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/03 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RE: "hard start" kits. Yes, it is a capacitor which stores a bit of energy to give a difficult to start motor an initial "kick." A couple of observations: The people who make the AC in the first place surely know that keeping down starting requirements in an RV AC is important. The difference in cost to the manufacturer for a smaller starting capacitor and a larger starting capacitor would be a buck or two. If the manufacturer thought it was a good idea, they'd have one already. There is no free lunch. Among other things, a capacitor will shift the phase of the AC waveform (how much, I have no clue) and will interact with the inductance of the motor windings in ways that the average RV owner will not be able to predict. The potential to cause a change in the power factor (phase relationship between current and voltage) has the potential to affect both the AC and the source. (the generator.) That extra "kick" will be funneled through the same windings, safety switches (if any) and start relay contacts that were there before. Common sense says that pushing more power through a circuit, without knowing how much the circuit was designed to withstand, and what potential side effects might be, places the owner in the test pilot seat. It is not hard to see that the lifespan potential of the compressor and the associated components could be adversely affected. Things are usually designed in a particular way for a reason. However, since the average RV AC sees so few cycles in comparison to a household AC unit, the difference in lifespan may be irrelevant. But, I would contact the AC maker before I stuck any capacitors on my AC.

I read the same posts and the owner is quite happy with the addition. More power to him. (pardon the pun.) I am pleased for him that he found a solution to his somewhat too small generator problem. Perhaps in some peculiar situations where there is a need... the device proves useful. However, IMHO, it should be considered a bandaid, not a solution. If the proper size generator is had in the first place, there will be no need for any extra capacitors. If the generator is that marginal starting, it will only take an increase in altitude (decreases generator power) or a really hot day (increases starting load) to push the combination over into the place where it doesn't work. YMMV.

DRFaulk

Fallon, NV

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/03 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JodiG,

My wife and I went throught the same consternation about which to buy. We finally decided on the 2 2000s due to much of what you have heard here. They just arrived today, and I haven't used them yet, but I like their light size. I have gone through the manual and they only take .42 quarts of oil and the maintenance looks pretty easy. Can't wait to get them out there and going. Purchased tham at Mayberry's (www.mayberrys.com) for $845 each, whcih included shipping. Their prices was $859 but they price matched Alamia.

Dave & Rose
2003 Thor Tahoe

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/03 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Etnad, yes, the duckbutt was a tongue-in outlet solution for those who visualize and fear the hot prongs of a plug, but haven't actually evaluated the difficulty of unplugging a cord that's been first threaded thru the EU handle for "strain relief", or those with young unmindful children.

W7WV, you are correct, but the efficiency of the
EU's is far different from normal gensets; they do not run at constant RPM's, but only at the speed required for the load. Thus at small load, they are barely idling. I've not seen the load vs efficiency ratings comparison, but I'd bet the 2 EU's get at least 3X the runtime of a conventional genset at small loads.
JMO, your mileage may vary

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People">
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 2 Honda 2000s or 1 Honda 3000 generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.