RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Electrical Adapters to Purchase?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical Adapters to Purchase?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lorne&Lorraine

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/04 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoadrunninRN, you will need a 30 amp female to 15 amp male adapter to connect your trailer to a standard house receptacle (assuming your trailer cord is 30 amps).

On the 50 amp male to 30 amp female adapter, after 30 years of camping all over the continent, encountered my first 50 amp only campsite electrical service a few weeks back. There were no loaner adapters so went the nite on batteries. I now have that adapter. Last year I encountered a 50 amp/15 amp service (no 30). Since I didn't have the 50 to 30 adapter, I made do with my 15 to 30. Meant, I had to be careful running other appliances when the AC was operating.

Don't use long light gauge extension cords (use 12 gauge at least and preferably no more than 50 feet if actually using near 15 amps of current) if using the 15 amp adapters. The voltage drop over the long light gauge cords can damage your appliances. There are convenient tables available for determining the length of cord/gauge that can be safely used for given amperages. Good idea to actually measure the voltage (with appliance running). I want at least 110 volts and preferably more than 115 volts.

Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

Desertcat921

HERMISTON OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/21/04 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally that adapter is a 30 to 20 adapter as most parks have 20 and 30 which can be dualed for 50.

1988 MCI Widebody 40' Coach Conversion, 8V92TA Silver w/ Allison 740
Auto Transmission. 480 Watts Solar, Hughes Satellite Internet W/ Motosat Datastorm, Dish TV. One Cat named Monkey..

RoadrunninRN

Pembroke, VA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/04 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, I found one of those adapters yesterday. We also bought one of those heavy duty extension cords, it said it was 10 guage-- so now my question is this--is the guage heavier as the numbers go down? That's how it works with needles ( you see by my name I am a nurse), and with needles, the smaller the number guage, the bigger the needle diameter is. Is this the same with power cords?

Again, thanks for the info. We brought our travel trailer home today and have been tinkering with the gadgets all evening. My husband and I are sooo excited!! We can't wait to get to actually use it!

Lorne&Lorraine

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/04 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, same as with needles. Your 10 gauge cord will nominally handle 30 amps over “reasonable” lengths (12 gauge is good for 20 amps and 14 gauge for 15 amps). Remember though that if you are using the adapter to connect to a standard household receptacle, that the house wiring (breaker and wire gauge size) is most likely good for only 15 amps (or possibly 20 amps depending on wire size and breaker used for the house wiring). If you try and run appliances in the TT that total more than what the house wiring can handle (say AC and microwave at same time etc), the house breaker will trip. No big deal. Shut down the appliances, reset the breaker and reduce the appliance load in the TT.

RoadrunninRN

Pembroke, VA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/04 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. We have bought the necessary adapters and cords that were recommended, so we should be good to go on that. Thanks to everyone for leading us in the right direction. With any luck-- we will get to use the camper next weeekend!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come!!

Robert1974

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/04 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello I have a pop up I just purchased and it says 15 amps on the side where the cord is. What happens if the site says 20 amp service? I am new to this and since it was a used pop up it had no papers so am just trying to learn as much as possible since it is my first camper.

Thanks

Robert Lane

rcheesen

Riverbank, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/04 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the post Barney. Sounds like good advice, I think I'll get one.
Rick

E_d

Vista, Ca. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/04 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been doing this for 20yrs+ and thought I had everything I needed to make sure I could connect to power if it was there. Last weekend, went out with the group and guess what, I needed a 50>30 adaptor. Never saw this before. there was one 30 and one 50 amp plug and the 30 amp was being used by the guy next door. I had to position my rig so that the short 50 amp cord would reach the outlet. Guess what I'm getting this weekend. One never knows, but for a small price it's nice to have.

Ed/Jan
Smile! and have a nice day.
USMC Retired '87, Retired Again March '10
2004 National Dolphin 35'
CGAUX, MARS
W6EDD
99 Nissan Frontier Tow
What a beautiful country we have.

rcheesen

Riverbank, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/31/04 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the 50 Amp male to 30 Amp female adapter, is there a potential to harm a 5er's 30 Amp service by connecting to a 50 Amp supply? Also, will an inline 30 Amp surge protector suffer any damage connected to a 50 Amp supply? Thanks for all your great information.
Rick

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/04 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick,
No, no damage to your rigs 30amp supply will occur if you connect to a 50amp supply. Your rig will only draw what it needs and the rigs internal breaker will trip if you overdo it. I have had to do this on several occasions - the last time just a week or so ago. My wife and I were returning to Michigan from snowbirding in Tampa and stopped for the night at the military campground at Maxwell AFB near Montgomery, Al. The sites had shared electric posts which had one 30amp and one 50amp plug. The 30amp was being used by the next door neighbor so we had to use the 50amp plug. Glad I had the adapter! [emoticon] There have been about two or three other times that it was necessary. I would strongly advise carrying one even though it is not often needed.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Electrical Adapters to Purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.