RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Pardon my ignorance, but why a brake controller

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pardon my ignorance, but why a brake controller

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Alumaliter

Northern Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/03 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have seen, most boats have 'surge brakes". Most travel trailers have electric brakes. Electric brakes won't work as well on a boat trailer because the are designed to be submerged when launching the boat. Surge brakes work by applying a proportional amount of braking force based on how fast the tow vehicle is slowing down. This measured at the point where the trailer and tow vehicle are connected (ball).

With travel trailers, the electric brakes are activated by a controller that senses the deceleration of the tow vehicle and sends a proportional electrical signal to the trailer.

That’s why most boat trailers don’t have a controller.

Enjoy,
Bill
'02 Mallard 24 5M
'04 F-250SD XLT,V-10,4X4,3.73LS,

etraveler13

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/03 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello SnailFan;
Hopefully by now you understand proportional braking as opposed to on/off, and electrical as opposed to surge type. If you purchase(d) the trailer towing option on your truck, you can purchase a "pigtail" specifically made for your truck type. There is no wiring to worry about, plug it into the truck, then plug it into your brake controller. This will work for the plugs in the back of your rig that are for 4 pin blade and 7 pin hook-ups. However, if your going to have a 7 pin 5th wheel power hook-up installed into the bed of your truck, you will need to have that spliced into your wiring harness. I just had this done, and it seems that to a knowedgable hitch shop, this is a simple matter. I had the hitch and wiring and controller all installed at the same time. I had the Prodigy installed and feel its is the best Brake Controller I have ever used. I found it on the web for $100...just go to www.froogle.com and type in Prodigy brake controller.
Good luck...

2001 Ford PSD Crew Cab Dually
Nu-Wa Snowbird triple glide 34-1/2'

On the Road Again...
Takin' my toys with me...
">
Facts are Facts, but PERCEPTION is Reality

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Pardon my ignorance, but why a brake controller
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.