RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Truck - T.T. - Boat ??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Truck - T.T. - Boat ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Out4Dux

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem with rack on truck is that I have a camper shell. Due to the flanged edge of the shell a rack will not really fit without some major modifications. I am thinking a few tickets a year may be cheaper in the long run! Seriously though I have reviewed the Vehicle Code and can't find specific reference to King Pin only for tandem. The boat is about 260#, maybe a welded tube steel rack for the camper. I could mount to frame and hug the camper sides with the vertical supports. How much do you think CHP will charge per occurrence??

Hydehunter - I will shoot you an e-mail with some questions. Thanks

2001 Supercrew 5.4 4x4
1994 18' Road Ranger (KIT)

Madman

Huntington Beach, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/03 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out4Dux,
Call CHP and they will give you the low down. I think chancing that, could strip you of all your assets. The potential of sway, and possible jacknife due to an emergency stop, could prove lethal for you, or who ever you take out. Not to mention, every insurance company would wash their hands from an incident like that, and have every right to. I bet the CHP would ground the set-up right where it stands if caught driving it, and not allow you to even move it. Be careful.

Danny

95 F350 4X4 CC,SRW,PSD,4:10, Built E40D,w/ Custom built torque converter, steel upgraded planets, shift kit, stall, B&M trans pan w/ 3 extra quarts of fluid, Amsoil in trans, Trucool 24K trans cooler, 4" Superlift Suspension, 16.5X9.75 Weld Super Singles w/ B.F.G 35X12.50x16.5, Isspro Digital Pyro (Pre-Turbo), Autometer Ultra-Lite Boost, and Trans gauge in triple A-pillar pod, Banks Down Pipe, Banks Big Hoss Chip, Custom Billet Grill w/ Hella Driving Lights, Rancho RS9000 w/ Double Stabilizers, Flared Fenders & Running Boards, Ported Snorkel, K&N Filter, Coolant Eye, 203*Thermostat, Line a Bed, Wood Grain Dash/Interior.

2000 Ford Excursion 4X4 7.3L PSD, 3:73
Stock For Now, But Not For Long!

2002 31G Fleetwood-Wilderness Travel Trailer
Northwest Edition, All Options,with Full
Dinette/Sofa Super Slide,T105's/Honda EU2000I

Jack B. Nimble

San Francisco Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/03 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The boat loader mentioned above is here:

http://www.eideboatloader.com/index.htm

It will work with a camper shell. You can't take the boat trailer, but they also sell launch wheels if you want to go that route.

hydehunter

Sacto.Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/03 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Madman I'm sorry that you are wrong.If you go to a DMV commerical testing location they will tell you can. A regular DMV office will not have a clue.I have checked 4 different times when I have taken men out to get their Class A or B license.By the way, as of Jan 1 2002 you cannot tow a boat behind a 5th wheel without a Class A non-commerical license and a doubles endorsement.

hydehunter

Sacto.Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/03 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Out4dux I did Not receive your e-mail hydehunter

Out4Dux

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/03 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Madman,

I guess you missed the sarcasm in my e-mail. I would not do it if indeed illegal. As to safety I think you are being a bit dramatic. The boat/motor/trailer wet is 700lbs, this is negligible in terms of the trailers weight, the boat is just as stable behind the 3500 lb trailer as behind a 3500 lb car. In a true panic situation the additional load in my mind will not compound the problem any more than it will by itself. How would this be any worse than behind a 5th wheel?

mechtechjoe

El Segundo, California USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/03 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the Trailer Life Directory, this question was addressed. You can look up each individual states law about towing. Good luck.

pullin2

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/03 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

out4dux,
Trailering 2 'bumper-pulls' is possible, safe, and works quite well. According to my state's Department of Transportation website, it's legal here (don't know about CA). Your own DOT is the determining factor (my advice is to ignore the various directories, they have too many errors). Many light trailer manufacturers deliver by pulling 2-at-a-time around here; they're fairly common. Those who predict disaster in a panic stop probably haven't tried it. I've had no problems stopping everything (they stay in a nice straight line). You may need an additional sway controller betwixt the 2 trailers, tho'. Here are links to a few of my 'tandem' setups http://groups.msn.com/OpenRoadsForum/pictures?Page=2 Look for the heading 'My Rigs'

*This Message was edited on 25-Mar-03 05:30 AM by pullin2*

*This Message was edited on 25-Mar-03 05:34 AM by pullin2*

edit: trying to get the link to work

*This Message was edited on 25-Mar-03 05:35 AM by pullin2*

RB, JC (& a few dogs)
2017 Ram CC LB Cummins,
35' Windjammer
30' Sea Ray
I used to tandem-tow (hence my username), but my trailers grew too big.

Frank in CO

Centennial, CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/03 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a site that lists states. Not sure how accurate it is.

http://www.rvadvice.com/rvtowlaw.html

If it's illegal then how does UPS, etc. tow 3 trailers on the interstate in some states? That would be 2 bumper hitches plus one fifth wheel.

Frank in CO
2000 KZ Sportsmen 2205QSS
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Truck - T.T. - Boat ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.