RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Sanitize fresh water tank??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sanitize fresh water tank??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/03 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Robb471
Your wife is right in not liking the bleach but it is the best method of sanitizing the tank and plumbing and far cheaper too. Although chlorinated water is said to be so good because it kills most bacteria and viruses it really isn't all that good for you to drink or bath in. If you flush the system properly and rinse it well you'll be fine though and it's better than getting sick from not doing it well. The following sites give a lot of info on things like why chlorinated water is both good and bad and just lots of facts on water quality. If you use a good charcoal filter and one that eliminates the other potential problem items than you need not worry. Nothing beats the Nature Pure filter for an RV point of use filter for drinking/cooking water. They cost a more than some but it ends up costing about.11/gl for pure drinking water that you don't need to worry about no matter where yuor travels take you.

Rethinking Chlorinated Water

Water Safety 820

Water Quality Reports

Drinking Water Concerns

Mike
2001 Lazy Daze 26.5MB

fast.5

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/03 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the product you are talking about does not contain chlorine then it may not be able to kill everything. Javax bleach or simalar contains usually around 6% chlorine.
Mike

2004 FORD F350 Supercrew 4x4 V10 Airlift incab controls 42" titan extension.
2007 LANCE 1131 Loaded, Air,Dicor,all weather packages Awning&Slide awning,2500lp Onan camp power,back up camera,dish
Fast.5 Reno Page http://community.webshots.com/user/fast5

Dacam

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/03 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thik you have to make sure you understand the differance between:
Sanitizeing and Cleaning of the freash water tank

Sanitize:
I would think you have already cleaned it out after winter storage when things had a chance to grow in it. you have maybe let it set around and the water is all stale and you just want to freshen it up and make sure its okey to drink.
so you dont get sick or the trots.
Cleaning:
After my coach has set in storage with no water in the tanks.With anti freeze in the lines.I am going to fill the lines and the tank with a good mixed solution of bleach and water drive it to slosh it around and let it set for a good 24 hours so it kills everything. Then flush and rinse it real good.
This is just my op-ian but when the tank is empty things can grow in there.and if it sets all the time with water it does not hurt to sanatize it once in a while.

Robb471

Vacaville, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/03 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the advise, guess I'll be doing the bleach and water thing..with ALOT of flushing!

2009 Road Warrior RWT
2007 Polaris Outlaw 90
2007 Polaris RZR (Leaving soon)
2012 CanAm Renagade 1000Xxc (coming soon)
2012 Raptor 250 (coming soon)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Sanitize fresh water tank??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.