|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> My Allison Transmission is Cooked

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next
Sponsored By:
StuartT

La Conner, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was headed home from the Monaco Harrisburg Service Center yesterday, and as I neared Seattle, the transmission began to shift harder and harder as I accelerated and decelerated in freeway traffic. I finally exited the freeway near Kent, WA and things got really ugly. Shifts were now “slams” and if I stopped at a light, it killed the engine. Fortunately (very fortunately) Pacific Power Products, the Allison Distributor, was close by and I limped in.

At first it seemed I had let the fluid level drop dangerously low as they checked the shift selector for information and codes. But a look at the stern quickly found that the missing fluid was all over the end cap and covering my dingy. It turns out that transmission oil lines and the engine coolant lines in the rear drafted radiator assembly had merged and were mixing the two fluids together. The engine coolant recovery bottle was brimming with a froth of the two fluids, and worst of all, the transmission was overflowing with both fluids. The ethylene glycol apparently ruins the disks almost immediately and I am now faced with a transmission overhaul plus new coolant radiators.

I have learned that there was a recall (campaign) by Monaco on a particular series of rear radiators with a known problem resulting in the failure I have just experienced. The Allison distributor recalled having seen this exact problem numerous times in the past and Monaco paid the bill for repairs. Problem for me is that I am not the original owner and I am a little over a year out of warranty on this 2002 Endeavor. On the other hand, it is a known problem rather than a miscellaneous failure, and might warrant some special consideration from Monaco.

Has anyone else had this happen to them with a rear radiated coach, and if so, how was your repair handled….in or out of warranty? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated as this is going to cost me a bundle.

StuartT
2006 HR Imperial
42 PBQ

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StuartT wrote:

.. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated as this is going to cost me a bundle.

Id make sure my telephone service had free long distance calling..unlimited ( if needed??) and Id be on a DEFINATE first name basis with every human being that had a phone extension at Monaco

presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

v8q

Oviedo, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your engine and tranny are still under warrenty. I would imagine Monaco should cover the repair if a design problem caused failure of equipment still under warrenty...

If not, you definitely have a case...

Dave Head
Oviedo FL
95 Foretravel U320C SE
M11, HD4060

Ames

South Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is a trying time for you but do not start a war until you have talked to Monaco about your problem. Give them a chance first and let us know what happens.

Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot 40 Kitchen Slide
330 HP Member FMCA, BAC, Good Sam, CAT RV Club
Toad 2012 Dodge Durango RT AWD Hemi

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/06 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

v8q wrote:

Your engine and tranny are still under warranty. I would imagine Monaco should cover the repair if a design problem caused failure of equipment still under warranty...

If not, you definitely have a case...

Dave,

This problem would NOT be covered by the Allison warranty. Running with water in the ATF caused by an outside source (radiator/trans cooler) is not an Allison problem.

And indeed contact Monaco about this. I am VERY surprised that you had no previous information about the recall and major failure you could experience if you did not get it done. It has been common knowledge here on RV.net for a LONG time and I know Monaco sent out notices to owners. If you did have knowledge and did not get the correction made, were I Monaco I would not be too sympathetic. So here we would need "the rest of the story" to fairly evaluate who should pay for what.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

StuartT

La Conner, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe this will help put more information on the table as the morning wears on.

I have made first contact with Monaco Oregon Tech Support, who I was told by Customer Service to contact. They indicated that a Certified Letter was sent to all owners of affected rear radiator models about two or two and a half years ago with a specific time frame to have the repairs completed, paid for by the vendor of the cooling units. This time period was extended for 6 additional months. The campaign was labeled TSI 124, andTech Support says they have a signed receipt of this notice from the original owner of my coach. (Boy I'd like to throttle him right now!).

They have offered to provide the bolt on cooling unit that re-routes the transmission fluid from the old unit as a good will jesture. I asked for a review of the fact that it was a known defect and while not accompolished during the time frame, that some compensation towards the rebuilding of the transmission might be in order. The rep said he would ask for a review (by whomever) and get back to me. That’s where is stands for now. I wish I had a better understanding of how to manage a process like this with the manufacturer. I am out of the three year warranty, even though the engine and transmission are still in warranty, I am not the original owner, and they can pretty much tell me to shove it. On the other hand, the person who owned the 2001 Imperial I bought before the Endeavor bought a new Dynasty, and the previous owner of this Endeavor bought a new Endeavor, so I still support the sale of new Monaco products in an indirect way. That should be worth something.

TMitchell

Punta Gorda, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to read about your problem. I wish you all the luck in getting it fixed quickly and that Monaco takes care of it. These unfortunate break downs could happen to any of us, please keep us posted on how you were treated.

Tom,Pat and Buster the Boston Terrier
2004 Dutch Star 3807 Spartan 370HP
Jeep Grand Cherokee

TMitchell

Punta Gorda, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you know who the original owner is. Your dealer can look up the original owner so he can be contacted. There is always the possibility that he did bring it in for the recall and someone botched the job.

StuartT

La Conner, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may be worth tracking the original owner depending on how this develops. Since the fix is the addition of a seperate cooling unit bolted on the outboard side of the existing cooling unit in which to reroute ATF, it would be obvious if the work was ever accompolished, and it definitly was not.

* This post was edited 02/25/06 11:47pm by StuartT *

wayne c

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/06 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the fix they had was to just stick another coil against the old one and run tranny fluid thru that one to futher restrict airflow,sounds like baloney to me!

Wayne C
Southeast Texas
2003 American dream
jeep commander/hemi

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> My Allison Transmission is Cooked
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.