|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Insurance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Insurance

> Daily Insurance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
pauldavis

Sierra Vista, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've looked all over and I can't find any company that will sell insurance by the day ... despite several blogs claiming that the product is widely available (but providing no links). Perhaps that means it's really not available, but before I give up I want to check here and see if anyone has found such a thing.

The ideal would be to have it much like my prepaid phone: I deposit some money in an account, and then when I'm ready to use the vehicle I go to a website and click a calendar showing the day(s) I want it active. The premiums for those days get deducted from my account, and on the days when the vehicle is parked I pay nothing.

I know, I know: what if my vehicle catches on fire or gets vandalized or broken into or gets hit by an asteroid? At this point I'd be willing to self-insure that risk if I could save big-time on the premiums. Or maybe there would be a company that would provide that coverage too at a very minimal cost (reflecting what I would assume is the experience of very limited claims for that time of thing) in addition to the daily premiums for when I put the vehicle on the road.

Anybody aware of this or anything like it?

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pauldavis wrote:

I've looked all over and I can't find any company that will sell insurance by the day ... Anybody aware of this or anything like it?

Never heard of a daily insurance policy. I've heard of the seasonal policies but never a daily policy.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED, 1992. "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY"!:
DEPT. OF DEFENSE RETIRED, 2014.

PULL DOG:

2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA: "THE SILVER FOX" AND "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE."

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES. 30 SCD 5'ER

LIFE MEMBER NRA & DAV

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm assuming you wanted to insure your RV. I know there are event venue insurance packages routinely written on a daily basis, but I'm guessing that's not what you seek.

I don't know of any company that insures RVs on a daily basis, but I note that auto rental firms sell such insurance, so you might check with one of them as to which company does their underwriting and ask THEM. I note that such insurance is outrageously expensive per day.

rr2254545

MN, current Ca North Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you could pick the days that would be the days of greatest risk to an insurance company, why would they only want to cover your greatest risk. I think you are looking for the impossible

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

pauldavis

Sierra Vista, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that idea, naturist. I'll for sure follow up on car rental agencies. Another idea that came to mind was agencies selling US insurance to people driving up from Mexico. We have to buy their insurance when we go south, so I assume they have to do the same when they come north. But I won't be able to explore that one till next winter when I get down along the border again.

My thinking is that even something outrageously expensive per day would be less than what I pay now for day after day after day of insurance for nothing. I drive the rig once every two weeks, and the car often less than that. Insurance is by far my greatest expense for the car, and it's a close second for the rig, even with the high price of gas.

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

* This post was edited 03/11/13 01:26am by path1 *

1990 37 ft King of the road 5th wheel. Great carpentry, summer home
1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GMAC will do it monthly if you want, we like that. Pay only comprehensive when "stored".

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

pauldavis

Sierra Vista, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/12 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, GMAC is what I have, but monthly wouldn't do what I'm looking for. I just want to stop paying for insurance when the rig (and the car) aren't on the road, which happens on a daily cycle, not monthly.

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a couple of potential problems that you need to consider. You can self insure only if you own the vehicles "free and clear". If there is a loan the lien holder will require the insurance to be active at any time.

What about liability insurance requirements to keep your vehicle tags active? In many states you have to show proof of insurance - liability coverage - to get your plates.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Insurance

> Daily Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Insurance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS