|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheels and short boxes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many years we have towed a 25 ft. 5er with an extended cab, short box half-ton Chevy. I have a slider hitch now but did not used to . Our combo works well as long as I pay attention and use the slider occasionally. Just wondering about a full 4-door, super cab, short box? I'm pretty sure I've seen them towing 5ers but wondering if a good idea? I believe my box is 6 ft. 6in. but that a short box with a full 4 door is only 5 ft. 8 in., at least with half-ton's? I assume an automatic slider would be required? But, even then, is it a good idea?

Jayco-noslide

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the newer ford F 250 crew cab short boxes are 6 3/4 feet long.

I plan on towing my fifth wheel with that truck without a slider.

redsb3

Tucson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow my 5er with a GMC crew cab standard box (68" I think). No problem at all. Only time I ever use the slider is to get the 5er in my driveway at the house.

2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/12 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford half tons have 3 different box lengths depending on which model you get. I would not consider the shortest one. They do have a model with the 6 1/2' box

B.O.

2011 Big Country 3250TS...2010 Ram CC Laramie 4wd Cummins

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it with an auto slider.

I started with a manual slider in my standard bed. I ditched it for the fixed legs as I never used it. With 10 inches less bed the auto slider would be high on my list.

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

Helmsey

Knoxville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 4 door short bed is 6'6" and while I do have a slider it is not needed. I guess mainly due to the front cap on the 5er.

KK4PFX
2011 Ford F-450 4x4 Lariat
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Days camped in 2012: 34
Days camped in 2013: 30
Days camped in 2014: 5

TriumphGuy

Simpsonville, SC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

F250 SB here. Use the slider quite a bit since I got the new 5er (35'). Longer wheel base means more angle for the same turn. Hadn't used it in the 5 years since I bought it, then needed it to get into my driveway with the new camper. Caught me by surprise but thankfully I was watching the cab and then could get out and (manually) move the slider and get on with things.

Had I not had the slider, I would have been stuck. So IMHO all short box trucks should have a slider ... and if you can afford, get an auto slider.

Not to hi-jack and be the weight police but if you go to a 4 door 1/2 ton watch the pin weight of your 5er vs the truck GVWR ... I don't remember Ford 1/2 tons having that much available payload. $0.02 ...

2008 Crossroads Cruiser 32BL (Mack); 2000 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3 (Doreen); 2000 A4 Audi 1.8T Quattro (Lightning); 2006 Subaru Outback 2.5XT (Sally); Last but not least - one great wife and two beautiful kids.
Any opinions are my own and not of my employer.

Pete_k

Stantonville Tn

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my crew cab 4x4 also has the 6ft 6" short bed also. But be sure to check what every you look at. Have a slider hitch, but don't see ever using it.
Pete

2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller, With a Evinrude 90 HP E-Tec
Live near Pickwick Dam and the Tn river

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 150 SC has a 5-1/2' bed and I could not tow my FW without a slider. I chose the Pullrite SuperGlide automatic so I didn't have to think about using the slider. I can do 90 degree turns.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

For many years we have towed a 25 ft. 5er with an extended cab, short box half-ton Chevy. I have a slider hitch now but did not used to . Our combo works well as long as I pay attention and use the slider occasionally. Just wondering about a full 4-door, super cab, short box? I'm pretty sure I've seen them towing 5ers but wondering if a good idea? I believe my box is 6 ft. 6in. but that a short box with a full 4 door is only 5 ft. 8 in., at least with half-ton's? I assume an automatic slider would be required? But, even then, is it a good idea?

Points to ponder !!!!

GM short bed trucks has a longer diminsion from the back of the cab to the trucks rear axle which is one reason many 2500 short bed GM owners report they don't need a slider or if they have a slider its never needed. Also much depends on the 5ers pin box and the 5er front cornor profiles.
Why waste money on a expensive sliding hitch if its not needed. Do your homework as each truck brand/cab configuration and each trailer will have its own needs/requirements if a sliding hitch is needed.

However, you talk about a chevy then mention a super cab. The super cab is a Ford product so it has a different cab to axle dim than the chevy short bed.

I have a 2500 short bed Dodge and a older square cornor flat profile 5th wheel trailer and a very short back of the cab to the rear axle measurement. This requires a sliding hitch.

Its a untrue statement that all short bed trucks require a sliding hitch. Much depends.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheels and short boxes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: