|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water tank sanitization

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Ron Fraser

Fairfax County, VA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/02 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several times I have read that I should sanitize the fresh water tank on my 25 foot Trail Lite. But I don't ever recall seeing detailed directions on how to go about it -- what do I put in the tank, how often, etc.

What should I be doing to make sure the water is OK to drink?

Dale3

Upland, Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/02 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions I got was to use regular household clorox (lemon scented doesn't have the HEAVY clorine smell) in a ratio of 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water for every 15 gallons of storage capacity. Make sure the mixture is run through the entire water system and allowed to sit for a minimum of three hours. Flush well when complete. This should be done at least twice a year - preferably more for those that live in a humid area.

1997 Southwind Storm 32'
454 Vortec
Toad: 1991 Ford Taurus
Retired and loving it~!

Yeti Shaman

Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/02 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water System Sanitation

It is not uncommon for RV owners to complain of bad water. The first sign of a contaminated water system is usually a bad taste, followed by strange orders emanating from the water supply. Bacteria may have built up in the water tank, especially if the water tank's supply has not been used frequently and has not been replenished with fresh, clean water on a regular basis. When a rig comes out of storage or is being used extensively on a city-water connection, the tank and entire water system should be sanitized before use. Some of the bacterial buildup can cause serious illness; don't take chances!

1. Drain the water tank completely, then refill halfway with clean, fresh water.
2. Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water.
3. Pour this mixture into the water tank.
4. Top off the water tank with fresh water. Drive the rig around the block to mix the solution.
5. Pump water through each faucet so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach.
6. The hot-water tank holds at least 6 gallons of water. Run the hot-water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot-water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank.
7. Let the water stand for several hours.
8. Drain the entire water system, hot-water tank included.
9. To remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.
10. Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines. This solution can sit in the system for a few days. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank.
11. Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water.

Spirit Deer

Boundary Waters, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/02 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The instructions in my Itasca owner's manual are the same as above, except it says to use 1 cup baking soda dissolved in five gallons warm water for every ten gallons of tank capacity. (After doing the bleach thing.) So if you had a 30 gallon tank, you'd use 3 cups baking soda and 15 gallons warm water. Then drive several miles including starts and stops. Run two gallons soda/water solution through kitchen and bathroom faucets to clean hoses and connections. Drain tank and flush with clean water.

The half cup/one gallon water solution above seems like it wouldn't be enough soda to do much of anything if it was mixed with a whole tank of water, but I could be wrong. [emoticon]

Be sure to use bleach with NO ADDITIVES such as perfumes.

Spirit Deer
One husband
Two huskies
Three kitties
1983 Itasca Sunflyer moho (Arvie) (big toy)
2005 Chevy Astro
2005 Palomino Mustang (Sally) (slightly smaller toy)

Kenneth

Washington, the state

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/02 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another good routine:
How can I safely clean and disinfect my fresh water holding tank?

The following is provided courtesy of Everpure, Inc. from their booklet "What Every RV Owner Should Know About Water".

HOW CAN SLIME, ALGAE, OILY TASTES, ODORS, ETC. BE REMOVED FROM A USED WATER SYSTEM?

First, the system must be cleaned to get rid of clinging materials and sediment.

To remove clinging oils, films and slime, the entire water system should be flushed using 4 teaspoons of household detergent for every 10 gallons of water. The soapy water should be run at full force through all of the outlets in the vehicle. This means opening the taps in the shower, the lavatory and the sinks. The water tank is then refilled with clear water and the entire system rinsed by running the clear water through all outlets. Merely filling and draining the water tank alone will not do a through job.

(NOTE: Be sure to remove any faucet aerators and the shower head during the cleaning procedure. They may be reinstalled before disinfecting if desired.)

After the system is relatively clean, it can be disinfected. Six ounces (2/3 of a cup) of liquid chlorine bleach (Clorox, Purex, etc.) should be added for each 10 gallons of water the tank will hold. This makes a very strong (200 parts per million) disinfectant solution as suggested by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. By half filling the tank, then adding the bleach and finally filling the tank to the top, a thorough mixture of chlorine and water is assured. Every water outlet in the vehicle should be individually opened to allow the chlorine solution to run through it until the chlorine smell is noticeable. This procedure is repeated at one hour intervals until the chlorine smell is immediately noticeable.

For badly contaminated water systems this procedure may have to be repeated many times, until the smell of the protective chlorine is evident whenever the water is running.

Next, the water tank is filled with fresh water and the entire system and all the faucets flushed thoroughly until the chlorine smell is gone.
http://www.rvchem.net/faq.htm

Ken

didi

new jersey usa

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/02 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after all that is done, I do drain the water tank
and heater tank after each camping trip. Fill with fresh water every trip, this has been working for me.

Yeti Shaman

Cape Canaveral, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/03 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use regular household clorox (lemon scented doesn't have the HEAVY chlorine smell) in a ratio of 1/4 cup to 1 gallon of water for every 15 gallons of storage capacity. Make sure the mixture is run through the entire water system and allowed to sit for a minimum of three hours. Flush well when complete. This should be done at least twice a year
===================================================
1.        Drain the water tank completely, then refill halfway with clean, fresh water.
2.        Mix 1/4 cup of household bleach for every 15 gallons of tank capacity in a container with a gallon or two of clean water.
3.        Pour this mixture into the water tank.
4.        Top off the water tank with fresh water. Drive the rig around the block to mix the solution.
5.        Pump water through each faucet so that all the lines are filled with the water/bleach.
6.        The hot-water tank holds at least 6 gallons of water. Run the hot-water faucets until this much solution has passed to insure that the old water has been purged from the hot-water tank, and it is now filled with the water/bleach solution from the water tank.
7.        Let the water stand for several hours.
8.        Drain the entire water system, hot-water tank included.
9.        To remove the bleach odor, mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and pour into the freshwater tank.
10.        Fill the tank completely and pump this solution through the water heater and the rest of the water lines. This solution can sit in the system for a few days. Driving the rig around the block will slosh water around and thoroughly clean the tank.
11.        Drain the entire system and refill with fresh, clean water.
=================================================
use 1 cup baking soda dissolved in five gallons warm water for every ten gallons of tank capacity. (After doing the bleach thing.) So if you had a 30 gallon tank, you'd use 3 cups baking soda and 15 gallons warm water. Then drive several miles including starts and stops. Run two gallons soda/water solution through kitchen and bathroom faucets to clean hoses and connections. Drain tank and flush with clean water.
======================
HOW CAN SLIME, ALGAE, OILY TASTES, ODORS, ETC. BE REMOVED FROM A USED WATER SYSTEM?

First, the system must be cleaned to get rid of clinging materials and sediment.

To remove clinging oils, films and slime, the entire water system should be flushed using 4 teaspoons of household detergent for every 10 gallons of water. The soapy water should be run at full force through all of the outlets in the vehicle. This means opening the taps in the shower, the lavatory and the sinks. The water tank is then refilled with clear water and the entire system rinsed by running the clear water through all outlets. Merely filling and draining the water tank alone will not do a through job.

(NOTE: Be sure to remove any faucet aerators and the shower head during the cleaning procedure. They may be reinstalled before disinfecting if desired.)

After the system is relatively clean, it can be disinfected. Six ounces (2/3 of a cup) of liquid chlorine bleach (Clorox, Purex, etc.) should be added for each 10 gallons of water the tank will hold. This makes a very strong (200 parts per million) disinfectant solution as suggested by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. By half filling the tank, then adding the bleach and finally filling the tank to the top, a thorough mixture of chlorine and water is assured. Every water outlet in the vehicle should be individually opened to allow the chlorine solution to run through it until the chlorine smell is noticeable. This procedure is repeated at one hour intervals until the chlorine smell is immediately noticeable.

For badly contaminated water systems this procedure may have to be repeated many times, until the smell of the protective chlorine is evident whenever the water is running.

Next, the water tank is filled with fresh water and the entire system and all the faucets flushed thoroughly until the chlorine smell is gone.
http://www.rvchem.net/faq.htm

drain the water tank
and heater tank after each camping trip. Fill with fresh water every trip,

hud3ma

N. Cen. PA via Ware, Herts, England, UK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/03 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the info in these replys is right on the money, however...

I prefer regular bleach to the scented stuff because the scent stayed in my system the one time I used it (following my usual procedure). I've never had any residual effects using regular bleach.

I also prefer to follow the bleach with a half-cup of white vinegar to 15 gallons of water as a flush because I don't like the idea of putting abrasive solids through my pump and into my water heater. (No, baking soda does NOT dissolve in water...it merely goes into solution.)

*This Message was edited on 02-Jun-03 01:31 PM by hud3ma*

Mike & Karen
...and Ziggy, the Golden Retriever

2002 THOR (Dutchmen) 25' Class C w/slide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Water tank sanitization
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.