Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What is and where is the VEC? (Freightliner term for electrical component)

Posted By: Scatback on 02/08/05 08:55pm

My 2004 Itasca Meridian has no power to the tail light terminal on the towing plug connector. Everything else has power, ie, turn signals and brake lights. Even the tail lights on the coach work fine. I sent an e-mail to Freightliner and they replied that the fuse for the tow receptical tail lights is not with the normal fuse panel, but is in the VEC. Unfortunately they neglected to say where the VEC is located so I can fix the blasted thing. Anybody on this great forum had experience with a Freightliner VEC?

Retired USAF Nav/Flight Ops
Itasca Meridian 34H
330 Caterpillar
2010 Chevy Equinox
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy

Posted By: wallynm on 02/08/05 09:17pm

Vertical Ellipsoid Conundrum is located in Never Land

Sorry simply cound not resist and I have Freightliner and have no idea. When you find out post the answer!

GOOD LUCK

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Posted By: Jeffe on 02/08/05 09:25pm

Sorry, I did a SEARCH on the Freightliner Website for "VEC" and came up with no matches.

I too will wait for an answer.

2002 Winnebago Journey DL - 39QD
330 Cat with 6 Speed Allison
Toad: 2016 Ford 150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4

Posted By: Don & Linda on 02/08/05 10:35pm

The only reference I've ever heard involving term "vec" on Itascas is in describing the power converter. Check there, that circuit's fuse is proberly included with the "house" fuses. In my older coach there is a house fuse panel at my converter. Good luck.

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

Posted By: Harleydogs on 02/08/05 10:42pm

Well, looked at diagrams of electrical that I have didn't find it yet. Will take a stab at VEC Vehicle Engine Compartment, see if there is a fuse somewhere close to the plug outlet or trace wires into engine compartment should be close I would think. But, usually not that simple.

Good Luck, If I find something I'll let you know.

Doug & Teri, Smokey & Bandit
2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N
2005 Saturn Vue AWD V6
2003 HD Ultra Classic

Posted By: BaldEagle on 02/09/05 08:39am

Just looked in my Freightliner manual and no mention of VEC. They did mention an electrical service center, perhaps VEC = Vehicle electrical center?

Could not determine where the trailer fuses/relays were by looking in my manual. They did show where they were in the "new VCL" (tag axle) chassis. In the VCL chassis they are in that electric service center mentioned above in the rear right side.

Will watch this tread to see who knows where the trailer fuse is in the XC or Evolution chassis. That could be good information to know

2004 Vectra 40AD
2002 MDX Toad/Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Blackhawk
Guardian Rock Shield

Posted By: Scatback on 02/09/05 10:13pm

I sent another message via the Freightliner web site asking where the elusive VEC is located. I will post the results on this thread as soon as I get the reply. I also could not find any reference to the VEC in any of my Freightliner manuals.

Posted By: RHurlbut on 02/09/05 10:57pm

Hi,

We just purchased an 04 Horizon and had the same problem. It cost me $50 and now I know there are 2 fuse boxes in the area where the A/C coil for the dash. It's a dog to get to. Driver side of MH the panel behind the electric land line compartment. There are 2 screws holding the side panel in place, 1 on bottom of panel (under coach) and one on the side of the panel (which is under the closet slide out).

Freightliner mech can locate this in about 15 min while rolling around under the back of the coach, only 1 of the 2 fuse boxes can be reached from under the coach.

Hope this helps

Ron H

Posted By: Scatback on 02/12/05 05:51pm

Not yet, not one of my priorities right now. Will let the forum know when I do.

Posted By: phoenix.bears on 02/13/05 08:41am

In have a 2004 Vectra 40AD & need to hook up a brake controller. Cannot find any connection at a cable in the dash area but in talking to both Freightliner (1st they said it was under the dash, then no, not ordered by Winn) AND talking to cust support at Winn. I still do not have a good answer.
BUT....I did learn from Winn. that there is a fuse for trailer lights located in a panel above the basement air unit. Apparently you need to open the side grill to get to it.
IF, any one has info on connecting a Brake Controller on this coach, would be thankful for some help.

Vern in Escondido, Ca.

Vern Phoenix

2004 Vectra 40AD, 350 Cummins with Banks Power Pack
2004 PT Cruiser, Turbo, GT, 5 speed
Brake Buddy, Avanta 11 tow package
Good Sam, long time Thousand Trails, FMCA

Posted By: SoCal Camper on 02/09/05 11:27pm

I had the same problem,on my gulfstream it was found in the same area as the master disconnect switches between the batt. compartment

05 Revolution Le 40E

Posted By: Scatback on 02/10/05 05:08pm

Here is Freightliner's reply to my query about where the
VEC is located and what it is. Now all I have to do is figure out where Itasca moved it to.....

The VEC (Vehicle Electronic Control) is mounted on a plate on the
drivers side in front of the rear axle. If the unit is a Winnebago with
a side radiator it could mounted by the radiator. Now this is how we
ship the unit to the body builder. Most Body manufactures will move
them.

The VEC is a black control unit with two black and two Gray connectors
plugged into it.

Posted By: Scatback on 02/10/05 05:12pm

Ron H.
Thanks, that confirms what Freightliner told me. I shall remove the panel you mentioned and hopefully it is there.

Posted By: BaldEagle on 02/12/05 04:26pm

Scat, have you found it yet?

Posted By: BaldEagle on 02/13/05 09:23am

Vern, here is a link for the wiring diagram for a Vectra 40AD:

40AD wiring diagrams.

Posted By: Scatback on 02/16/05 05:07pm

Found the VEC! Actually, found two of them. They are located behind a metal panel that is the right hand wall of the shore power compartment. Also, that is where the 20 amp fuse was blown that controlled my dinghy tail lights. The fuse was labeled "Marker lights". I replaced the fuse, checked the tail light terminal on the dinghy plug-in, and found everything to be working! It is hard to believe the dealer walk-around before delivery and every Freightliner manual failed to mention these fuses and relays. Learn something new every day!

Posted By: Redfox11 on 02/16/05 06:13pm

Great!!!! Glad you posted where you found it and that you were able to solve the problem... On some post you never hear if they found the answer they were looking for>>>.

Dave & Belinda ">"> HR 111460,
04 H-R Endeavor 40PAQ, BlueOX,
10 Jeep Liberty
1 Ragdoll 'Boobookitty', 2 (Evil) Yorkie's 'Dixie' and 'Rio'

Posted By: dleslie125 on 02/16/05 09:26pm

Quote:

My 2004 Itasca Meridian has no power to the tail light terminal on the towing plug connector. Everything else has power, ie, turn signals and brake lights. Even the tail lights on the coach work fine. I sent an e-mail to Freightliner and they replied that the fuse for the tow receptical tail lights is not with the normal fuse panel, but is in the VEC. Unfortunately they neglected to say where the VEC is located so I can fix the blasted thing. Anybody on this great forum had experience with a Freightliner VEC?

I hope Zertrider is around since I think he can answer this one. We have the same rear lighting in our Journey - turn signals are orange. To connect our toad and to get the turn signals in the toad to work, an electrical device was required as the tujrn signal bulbs are separate from the tail lights. I wish I could remember what the device it is called. I have the Blue Ox system but that "box" is Roadmaster.

I'll take a look at the Roadmaster site and see if I can identify it.

OK here it is. If you don't have this 3 to 2 converter that might just be your problem.

Roadmaster 3 to 2 for amber turn signals

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Print  |  Close