|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> level and where to insure

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
lave

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/05 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm so new at RVing, what is the best way to level my fifth wheel so I can place a sticky level on the side when pulling into a campground.The other question is where is the best place to insure both my pickup truck and fifth wheel together that we will be living in fulltime in the next couple months? Thanks john Lavery

tom_kat

way upstate new york/lake george area

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/05 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

put a long level on the floor front to back then side to side,check the level under the fridge if you have one also,i use gmac thru good sam

1985 Class A Holiday Rambler Imperial 33 +1979 Class C Holiday Rambler Statesman 1000 = 24 ft

debdaves

S W Poconos, PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/05 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a 24" level on the counter top & insure with our home & auto coverage provider.

BE BLESSED!
'02 Trailblazer 4.2, I-6, 3.42's '83 Shasta Friendship 16'
Retired Reservist, 26 yrs. AR-supply, NG-cook, AF-transports
Adventures

wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/05 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you should put the level where YOU think it is most important. The sink, refrigerator, floor, bed, bath, etc are all logical choices for one reason or another. What is important is 'What is important to you'.

Our first choice is the stove with a pan of water for our 'meter', and second is the outside door (so it doesnt close when we dont want it too).

Then put the sticky levels on appropriately. We placed one right over the control box for the electric jacks and one on the nose of the pinbox which can be seen from the cab (me) when parking.

Everyone seems to have different priorities and needs...those are ours. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 03/04/06 07:46am by wittmeba *

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Tankcar

Santee, California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/05 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi! Leveling a large box?
Now this conjure's up some interesting problems!
After buying my """First""" RV a 23' TT. That would have been in 1976.
The owner of the Sale's lot said that one of the service personnel was holding a class on RV'g. OK! I'm not that stupid. OK! We will go! I beleive was at the insistence, of the other half of team.
Two week's later, we were inform but the instructor. That the class qualified for some high school credit's. Not that I need any more. Class of 1962.
Several week later we got to the "How level the BOX".
Out of the 30 or so participant's. All seem to have their own way of "Leveling the Box". Including your's truely.

From the instructor.

First: Level the side to side. I right side is low raise it, and same of other side.
Second: You now can deal the front to rear.

If you place a level on the "non" carpeted floor and level the box. You the can install an outside level where you can see it.

Have fun leveling the "Box".

azjeffh

Full-timing the USA (formerly Chandler AZ)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/05 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lave wrote:

I'm so new at RVing, what is the best way to level my fifth wheel so I can place a sticky level on the side when pulling into a campground.

Well John, don't do what I did. I decided to do it on our maiden voyage. That sounded like an opportune moment to perform the task as we had plenty of time.

The wife and I drove down to an RV resort in Tucson. One of the main attractions with this choice was a Camping World was on the premises. Anything we needed would be there [emoticon]

OK back to leveling. Anyway, we backed into our spot and got the levels out (long and short ones) and started the task. As others mentioned you do side-to-side first. So we put the levels on the floor, countertops, and even in the fridge, and all seemed to indicate we were about an ~inch off on the entry side of the trailer.

The park we were camped at had about an 1 ½ of gravel, so I pulled the trailer forward and removed some rock and then backed up again. Now we were only a quarter inch off.

Now the object is (for me at least) is to get it perfect prior to setting the levels. So I pulled forward again and removed some more rock then backed up. Now I was a half inch too low.

Without going into the exact details, I moved rock for 45 minutes before I finally got it right. After that front to back was a breeze. Put on the levels and was done.

So when we returned home and put it in storage, I noticed we were perfectly level side-to-side. Yep, I should have done it at the storage yard and would have saved almost an hour doing so.

But I will still say…take the time to get the trailer level no matter how long it takes.

Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
2016 F350 PSD Dually
2016 DRV 38RSSA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> level and where to insure
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.