|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Turtle-Toad

Wherever I park (orig Kingston, WA. USA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/21/06 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Luckily, I haven't had to use any of my policies so I can't speak from experience. A few first hand experiences (good and bad) from others would be greatly appreciated.

Linda, that Spanish language copy is a good idea, and I wish the other insurance companies would follow suit. I'll be checking out Mexpro before my next trip (Feb). Could you post a link to their site?

Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

skip298

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/06 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are heading down to the RGV forour second winter..It is likely that we will be going into Mexico for a day trip or two..I will contact my own insurance provider to see if I can get coverage with them...If I cant or if they are just a middleman type issuer I will try one of the ones listed above...How far in advance should one start to do this?..thanks

2008 Keystone Montana Mountaineer Edition 305RLT
2004 Ford F350 Lariat,S/D,CC,SRW,6.0L PSD
Good Sam Club "Standby Sam"
Co pilot just graduated to Senior Citizen.

Turtle-Toad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/06 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about the delay in answering, for some reason this forum isn't notifying my when new posts are added to this thread.

Since the policy has your start and end dates right on it, and some of them can be printed out directly from the website, you could get them a month or so in advance or wait until the last minute. I usually get my insurance a couple of weeks in advance.

If your insurance company has a Mexican branch or affiliate that issues Mexican Liability or you need a separate document for their Comp coverage, ask them how long it will take to get a hard copy. You will need it if you have an accident, and possibly when you cross.

Like I said on my website, there are signs in the Banjercito listing the documents you will need and the steps to get your FMT and TIP's. One of the documents listed is insurance; even though it's not a law and I've never been asked for proof of insurance. Always be ready for the RCNC!!!

craigt3365

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/06 03:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note on an accident my brother had in Baja a few months ago. He used Mexonline. He was hit by a truck going the other direction, who was trying to avoid a car in front of my brother overtaking a semi up a hill. The truck ran off the road then came back across and struck my brother at a high speed. Nobody hurt except the truck. It had to be towed to Cabo for repairs.

It was a nightmare. Took my brother at least 5+ weeks to get everything completed. And it was not repaired very well. The paint job is horrible and it does not drive very well. He is out several thousand dollars due to the deductible and all the misc. expenses he had to cover (mexican cell phone and numerous calls, hotel, flight back to US while he was waiting, rental car, etc.).

Mexonline was definitely on top of things, and did provide a lawyer...but things moved at a snails pace. Parts took forever to get delivered and it took a lot of yelling and screaming to get the repair yard to focus on his truck and get to work. They even tried to charge him for damage done to the highway!

The accident took place just before dark about 30km north of Baja. His rig was in Todos Santos. So he had to rent a car to get back an forth to Cabo to deal with the mess. Not speaking Spanish hurt him a lot.

I thought I would post this as an FYI....

2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom 40ED
Spartan Chassis, 400HP Cummins
Toad: 2003 Honda CR-V

Turtle-Toad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/06 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some policies require that all repair work be done in the US. Mine even pays for tow/transportation back to a US repair shop. This is probably why.

craigt3365

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/06 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the insurance company set him up with the repair shop in Cabo. He did ask about having the work done in the US, and they said it would be OK, but he had to get the vehicle there. Maybe it was because he had his 5th wheel with him (which was insuraed with them also), and that is why they would not cover tow/transport back to the USA. Not sure, but he tried that option and it would have cost him a bunch. I know the next time I get insurance, I will read the fine print in more detail!

Happy to be rv'ing

B.C. Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/06 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info in your post. The only thing I would add is that there are two different areas in Mexico that are insured differently. One is for Baja and Mexico mainland north, and is cheaper.(But this limits you) The other is for ALL of Mexico.

wantabe

carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/06 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW, I think I'll just sneak across and avoid all the bs. They do it, so why can't I.

Turtle-Toad

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/06 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wantabe wrote:

WOW, I think I'll just sneak across and avoid all the bs. They do it, so why can't I.

How do you sneak a Class A or 5er across the border ?

For that matter, how do you sneak them anywhere? I'd love to be able to sneak my 37 footer past a gas station, but it insists on turning into about every other one.

robertp777

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/06 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question about towing a car behind the motorhome. I have tried to get a quote from Mexpro and they ask about the tow vehicle. I give them the motorhome info and the tow vehicle info and they come back with a quote. Then when I go in and try to get a quote on just the tow car which I will be driving from time to time it gives me the exact same quote. What's up? do I need to have two policies or is one sufficient.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> FAQ Insurance for Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS