|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C & Traveling With Horses

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Puddin12

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When my grown son and I bought our used 1992 28' Class C Winnebago Minnie Winnie in August of 1998, I had no idea I would use it to pull horses regularly from Charlotte, N. C. to Tennessee and Kentucky for organized trail rides. I didn't know these rides existed, but I have made many trips, staying from 10 days to 3 weeks,which are pretty much all mountain driving on I-40. This has been a wonderful motorhome, and I have made friends from Florida to Texas. Can't over-emphasize the memories I have and am still making. I'm 69 years old, and friends can't believe I leave home with 2 horses and a dog, driving the rig and going by myself.

Anyone else out there using their motorhome with horses, or thinking about it?

hilbiles

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our first MH last fall to one of the reasons we purchased it is to go camping with our horses. So far we have gone out one time. It is great, my son and I are the ones that ride the most. My wife has had a few wrecks and does not like going on the trails. So with the MH she has a comfy place to hang out while I ride. We live in NE Missouri and are wanting to make a trip to the Land Between the Lakes in Ky TN. They have a nice horse campground there and tons of trails. We are going to make a few shorter trips though before we tow horses that far.

Puddin12

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, The Birdsong fee includes 3 meals per day, dances at night, an auction, guided rides, or you can go out on your own, etc.

ebkstk

lafayette nj usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/06 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we purchased our 2001 jayco 28 designer last year so i could take it to motorcycle races and the wife could take it to horse shows.so far she took it to 3 three day quarter horse shows.she pulls a 2 horse stock trailer with a dressing room with 2 horses with no problem,it pulls better then our 2003 dodge pick up.

camperkids1025

Bel Air, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/06 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family and I are also enjoying the motorhome and pulling a Exsiss 3 horse slant with changing room. The only difference is that it's loaded with miniature horses that we show in halter and driving classes throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast region of the country. Up until 3 years ago we would go the national show in Columbia, Missouri then the show moved to Tulsa OK which we have not made yet. Mom, Dad, Daughter, Horses, Motorhome and Trailer do well together on the road during show time. Happy RVing!!
The Camperkids Jim & Lois
1999 Coachmen Leprechaun 290RF
Ford E450 V-10

The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

graywolf765

Olathe, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, nice to see other horse people here. While I never posted a topic about it, I sometimes wondered if I was the "only" one. [emoticon]

I used to have an Exiss 3h slant with 13ft living quarters. I sold it last June right after I got my Jayco. I don't have a small trailer to haul my horses yet, but that's my intentions down the road.

I definitely like my Jayco better than the Exiss. I also enjoy photography, and the horse trailer just wasn't as easy to get around in for anything other than shows or trail rides.

Don't know about you all, but I am definitely "horse poor" at the moment...I've got a 3yr old that I'm breaking out at the moment and 2 2yr olds to break out this spring. Then there are the (very) fat mare and gelding that right now are enjoying a vacation, and a broodmare that's on a break, a 28yr old "pasture ornament" and a yearling stud colt....sigh

Julie
Co-Pilot: Angel 3yo Blue Heeler Mix

Julie Blichmann Photography

Blichmann Training

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/06 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Everyone! Question: 1994 24' Class C. Ford E350 Chassis simple reciever hitch. Pulling a Featherlite 2-Horse ramp load about 12' long, not sure of weight. Safe or Unsafe?

Horse: 25 year old spunky QH mare

Puddin12

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To fourthclassC. See message from Puddin 12 above. We have a 28' Minnie Winnie and pull a 2-horse Sundowner (about 12') with small dressing room with simple hitch. I think the hitch is a 5,000 lb. hitch, mounted up under the motorhome, which I understand makes it a weight distributing hitch. Have a very heavy-duty exchange with ball, which I think is 2 7/8". I know it is the bigger ball. Have had no problems. Have brakes on the horse trailer. Also have a sway bar. Be sure your trailer is well balanced so you don't have excessive weight on the tongue. Definitely get someone who is a professional to advise you.

musikmaker

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HI! My daughter is a pro barrel racer and we travel in a 95' El dorado, diesel, 31', 3/H slant w/dressing room. Have WDH, exhaust brake (necessity in my mind!). We had some major tranny issues last year, had it rebuilt (PO's had added a lot of after market junk, long story short...we now love it, no more problems!). I had posted on here looking for help....was basically told we were crazy to expect to haul horses with a class C. Trade it in...poor tranny...etc....Have put approx. 15,000 miles on it since then, get 10-11 MPG. We just got back from Texas last night, we live in Utah, made 700 miles in 13 hours. The only things I would change is the carpet (would love to put linoleum in it...I THINK!) and I also think it needs new shocks...seems like the wind bothers it a little more now than it did last year...? We usually haul only one horse but occasionally two...don't notice much of a difference...
We had a scare in Ariz. last year, driving south from Strawberry to Payson....10% grades, lotsa curves...trailer brakes quit (loose wire)...then lost our brakes on the MH at the bottom. SO...when we got home,we added the exhaust brake! Very interesting life! Ha!
Would not trade the comforts of a MH for a LQ trailer.

hilbiles

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planing on a new or newer trailer this summer. I have looked at a few but just have not decided on which one. I would love a featherlite 3horse slant load. A friend has one and it is nice but Too $$$ for me. Would like a 3 slant but they are pretty heavy rigs alone. So we will probably get a 2h to travel with. If I need to pull more than 2 horse I will use my current stock trailer. I can get 4 horses in it but that is alot of weight to haul, with my MH.

Horses 6yr QH gelding, 6yr Paint mare (in foal for april), 2yr QH mare made first ride last weekend.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class C & Traveling With Horses
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.