RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Got my Magnadyne radio fixed..4 Good

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Got my Magnadyne radio fixed..4 Good

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jonrjen

Ovilla, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/06 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco installed a Magnadyne AM/FM/CD/WB indash radio which was a real piece of junk. I would sometimes not turn on, sometimes refuse to change stations, or volume, allow the WB to work. A pure low bid supplier system. Checked with the local Jayco dealer and told him the problems I was having and asked if I could get it taken care of. His reply was there were two choices?:
1. Bring the motor home in, remove the radio and have it sent to Magnadyne to be checked out, then repaired, then shipped back to the dealer, at which time they would reinstall the unit. Everything should be able to be taken care of in around 4 weeks down time.
2. Understand that the radio was a piece of junk and go have a different radio installed at my cost. So today I went to Best Buy and picked up on a new Kenwood AM/FM/MP3/CD/XM/Sirius ready unit installed for less than $200. Seems that it is new model entry time for car stereos and the old style units are on clearance, add to that any stereo priced at $89 or higher qualifies for free installation.
So at least now I will have good clear dependable music at a great price with no thanks to either Jayco or Magnadyne.

2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have)">

RVJeeper

Jax, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/06 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem with the Magnadyne in our MH. Poor sound quality and since we have an older unit it was an AM/FM cassette unit. Bought a new Pioneer unit (similar to your Kenwood) from Crutchfield.com and installed it myself. While I was at it I added new Pioneer 4-way speakers in the doors and rear coach area. The difference in sound quality was like night and day! The speaker installation was a snap with the adapters that Crutchfield throws in for free, but the radio was a different story. Coachmen thoughtfully cut off the factory radio connector and hard wired the Magnadyne. That meant I had to trace the wires to figure out what to connect to what instead of using the quickie connector supplied by Crutchfield. The whole project took me about 3-4 hours total, but was well worth the time.

RVJeeper
2005 Itasca Sunova 34A
1993 Jeep Wrangler

camperkids1025

Bel Air, MD.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/06 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem with the one in my Coachmen, I installed a new unit as well. It must be a factory thing when they install the radio to cut the wires instead of using the connector that is on the radio and harness. I guess it's a time thing what ever works the best for them. They don't think down the road that someone just might install a new system and have to work around their electrical mess. Happy RVing!!!
The Camperkids, Jim & Lois
1999 Coachmen Leprechaun 290RF
Ford E450 V-10

The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

HiTech

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/06 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They cut the harness and hard wire? Sloppy!

Venomized

Valpo, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/06 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HiTech wrote:

They cut the harness and hard wire? Sloppy!

Agreed. 20+ years ago dad and I installed a new radio and we cut and spliced, what a pain that was. Now I just purchase the wire harness adapter and the mounting adapter. I can install in less that 30 minutes now and it looks and sounds like the manufacturer delivered it that way.

CUT and splice how archaic. Spend the $10 on the wire harness and the $20 for the installation kut and be done with it.

If you order from www.crutchfield.com they will include the wire harness and dashboard adapter for free.

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2001 Grand Cherokee, 4WD station wagon
2006 Saturn Vue, AWD V6

"For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know." --Unknown defender of Khe Sanh in Vietnam

nyjets53

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/06 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW...I must be really old school and I am not that old (born in the early 60's)...I always cut the wires and solder everything, no chance for a bad connection ever (hopefully)...

Rich C
2002 Sunseeker 2900 V10
Honda 06 CRV - Sterling All-Terrain
Scangauge II
Wells Cargo 4 x 6 covered

jonesboy1

Tehachapi, CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/07 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2004 Winnebago that has this same radio with all of the same problems. At times will not display time or stations, it will not play CDs or tapes. Sometimes after it does start to work it will not change stations or bands. Usually if I put a CD in the player it will play tracks 1 & 2 but nothing beyond - but it does start the displays and allows me to play the radio. Problem is that I have to try multiple times to get the CD to eject. Very disappointing to pay this much for an RV and get such a cheap, useless radio. I was glad to read there are replacement radios that will fill the space in my dash.

fourthturn

Cincinnati

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/07 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any advice on getting the old radio out? I've been trying to replace this piece of junk also, but the little metal "U" shaped tools that Crutchfield sent me don't seem to "click" when I put them in the holes to pull the old radio out. Tried for 30 minutes last night with no success, so when I saw this thread I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/07 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

push in teh U-shaped tools harder, and apply pressure towards teh middle of the radio. It should pull out then.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

az99

NY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/07 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have the Magnadyne POS model. I really like the feature where every time you turn off the power the next time it is turned on the volume is blasting. Jayco and all other mfg's. should be ashamed to put these in.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Got my Magnadyne radio fixed..4 Good
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.