|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Best Location for a Car Seat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
The LeRoys

St Petersburg, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/06 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a Class C. Where is the best location to put an infants Car Seat?

We have options of:
  • The passenger's seat
  • A stand alone chair behind passenger's seat
  • Forward facing dinnette bench
  • Rear Facing Dineette bench

All of the above have seat belts (of course) and we dont have airbags.

Where do you put your car seats?

Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 4 kids.
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2006 Ford F250 6.0L
2008 Ford E350 v10

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rear facing in the rear dinette seat. That's your safest place for an infant.

"> Snowhawkwoman
"> Big Owl
"> dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
"> Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

SE103

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to assume that winnebago did at least cursory study on this because if you look in the 06 models they now have a small metal loop on the floor behind the forward facing dinette and they sell a harness shoulder strap for car seat mounting so there is something more available than simply the lap belts. This steel loop is in my 06 Itasca 29B and the dealer said it is now in several of their models. Assumptions that any real study was completed could be in error but none the less the loop is there. Placement could be for convenience I suppose but as sue happy as society is today I would hope some study or at least thought went into placement.
It is on the floor behind the innermost rearmost forward facing dinette seat.

* This post was edited 01/25/06 03:56pm by SE103 *

Bill Hamilton

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/06 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say that rear facing in the dinette.

2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If rear facing in a reg car then I'd say rear facing in front facing dinette (to conform to angle requirements) Drop the table down so there is no table to bounce into.

For forward facing child seats - wherever the tether anchor is or if none, rear facing dinette seat.

For a family oriented type of machine the passenger areas aren't too well thought out for safe seating IMHO.

If you feel like reading more do a seat on car seats and you'll have several interesting and long posts to add to the info.

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Class A
1997 TJ Sahara, hard and soft tops and AC
Held together via Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar and stopped by US Gear Unified Brake system.

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/06 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

This talk of safety reminded me of a near collision we had going through Des Moines when a large propane tank truck suddenly cut us off at about 55 mph from the left lane as if the driver didn't know that we were there. I hit the ABS brakes and turned the right, hoping that there was nobody on my right. I kept the tanker's rear end within a foot if our front end by applying the brakes and turning to avoid hitting the truck or keeping his rear end from hitting our front end. It's scary when a truck driver does something stupid and impulsive like that so as not to miss an offramp.I was amazed that our '04 Tioga 26Q braked and handled as well as it did without rolling and ruining our day.

This is why my wife hounded me to get air horns installed. As large as our MH's are people don't even see us in their mirrors. I have no idea how a biker can make it. A keen eye of anticipation and a short hit on the air horn reminds people there are others on the road beside them. Thankfully I've only had to use mine once the dang things are sooo loud.

I'm glad you didn't turn to sharp as to flip out, I do think upon reflection that I'm glad our tanks and storages are at or beneath the chassis as that I'm sure would help keep the weight below the center of gravity.

Going back to the thread bottom line is always keep safety belts on and try not to wander to much in the RV especially while driving in congested and busy traffic area's.

I'm glad the Tioga kept you safe Bordercollie.

Ayden

Ayden

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put the dinnette table down and strap your babies in and your good to go. If you leave the table up it's a garaunteed decapation issue in a accident.

Now that our children are older 4 and 8 we use the driver side couch when travelling for comfort and convenience.

I'd wager any in-transit accident in a MH will be devasting due to it's immense size and lack of manuverability (most units are top heavy and will mostly certainly flip over performing major evasive movements). Serious injuries and death will come as no surprize in a RV accident while traveling at highway speeds etc.

Saving the life of an animal crossing the road may come at the cost of yours and your babies lives as your MH will most certainly flip over as you try to avoid them so you have to decide whether to drive straight or risk flipping your RV. Unfortunately the same can be said for thoughtless drivers and pedestrians cutting you off. You must be prepared to make choices that affect your families lives and others and deal w/ the consequence you and they (external accident causers 2 or 4 legged) may cause. The fact still remains stopping in a straight line is safer for RVs and their passengers.

Sorry to go off topic but there other things to consider when driving a large unit w/ children. We all love our children and do all we can to protect them but in the larger scheme of things the RV driver has a great responsibility and no safety belts or harnesses will have any effect in saving lives for a house on wheels made of fiberglass/wood/plastic/glass if the driver jerks his/her RV at normal driving speeds and flips out. I realize this has not been proven in an RV but it has been proven that tall SUV's w/ better stability and handling flip out in tight turns or evasive manuvere's even in normal driving speeds.

Regarding Winnebago they've always had carseat loops in their dinnettes including their Diesel Pushers. At least this has been the case ever since I started getting interested in RVing nearly 4 years ago. Whether or not if it's tested is another story but I know of no other RV mfg'er who even offers this.

Sorry for the paranoia but my intent was to help prepare for things more than the basics, I hope you don't mind and see that I care for your safety as I would my own,

kenhall64

Magnolia, Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV's are among the safest vehicles on the road. They are large and heavy. Children belted in well in a car seat or seat belt (if old enough) should be well protected. I think the more important issue with safety is securing items that could fly and injury occupants in an accident. Don't leave that coffee maker on the counter. If RV rolls over the child will be protected if belted in. Class A's and C'c are built very similar to school buses and they are considered the safest mode of transportation on the road.

2006 Fleetwood Pegasus 190XP
2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
2004 Toyota Sienna
Wife and 6 year old son
Trek 5000 OCL Road Bike
Trek Mountain Bike

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenhall64

driveby

Vancouver BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ken, not sure I agree with your statement. A Schoolbus is made of metal, RV's wood and fiberglass (house part anyway). There are some that have roll bars but still made of wood and glass for the pretty parts.

Either way, objects not tied down become projectiles. Best to avoid an accident in the first place [emoticon]

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/06 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This talk of safety reminded me of a near collision we had going through Des Moines when a large propane tank truck suddenly cut us off at about 55 mph from the left lane as if the driver didn't know that we were there. I hit the ABS brakes and turned the right, hoping that there was nobody on my right. I kept the tanker's rear end within a foot if our front end by applying the brakes and turning to avoid hitting the truck or keeping his rear end from hitting our front end. It's scary when a truck driver does something stupid and impulsive like that so as not to miss an offramp.I was amazed that our '04 Tioga 26Q braked and handled as well as it did without rolling and ruining our day.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Best Location for a Car Seat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.