|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Equal-i-zer vs. Dual Cam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
ggardon

northglenn, co

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/06 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know which one controls sway better. Equal-i-zer hitch or a Drawtite Dual Cam.

Loaded @ 17,000 lbs. & 67 feet long
2001 Ford Excursion 6.8 v10 4.30 gears
2006 Zinger ZT32QB
1999 Yacht Club Motorcycle Trailer
2005 Honda EU3000is with remote control start

2001 YZ426F
2001 TTR125

2003 KLX110
2003 CRF150

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/06 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt you will get any objective opinions here. I bought Equal-i-zer because it had fewer parts.
Not only the hitch controls sway. It also has to do with the characteristics of the tow vehicle and RV.
If you want to eliminate sway, not just control it, buy a Hensley Arrow.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JTMO

Novato, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/06 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say they are likely equal. The cams are low to the ground, I needed more ground clearance. Not srue if they require drilling into your frame anymore.
The Equalizer is what I use. But, if you have a WD hitch already, you can add the dual cams.

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

jmramiller

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/06 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the Equalizer. Very easy to use and works great.

2006 2500HD CC SB 4X4 Duramax/Allison
Prodigy/16K Reese/265E Tires/Bilstein Shocks
RM Active Suspension/RDS 60gal Toolbox combo

2008 Big Country 3490BHS by Heartland

6MISFITZ

Fort Erie, ON, CANADA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/06 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the Equal-i-zer for our trailer for 2 1/2 seasons.
It allowed my wife to feel comfortable behind the wheel again while towing and it saved our Canadian Bacon once during a panic stop on black ice in Ohio!

A friend of ours has a Dual Cam for his trailer and it's also and excellent sway control hitch. It seems to have a slightly stronger hold in straight ahead towing over the our Equal-i-zer, but the noise of the Cams when they lock or unlock was why we went with the EQ because we like to do most of our mileage at night while the kids sleep.

We did move up to the Hensley late last fall and while there is a difference, for the money - you can't go wrong with either!

Mike.

Mom, Dad, 4 kids, 2 Camping Dogs
Express 2500 LS (135"WB) 6.0L, 4.10, G80, PYO wheels, HENSLEY & McKesh
--------------------
MISFITZ RACING
MFCC Member
Rallies Attended 4, 7 Un-Rallies

RV fanatic

Holland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/06 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have grown tired of the seat of the pants driving that the friction type sway control has given me. I am looking for the best solution for my 1/2Ton Ram Ext cab short bed and 30' Prowler 300Q TT. I have the round style (Eaz-Lift style) WD bars. I have taken steps to eliminate the slop from the suspension on my truck - I switched to much stronger load range D tires & I also added a Hellwig 1 1/8" anti sway bar to the Truck's rear axle.

The hensley arrow really interests me, but the cost is just too prohibitive. I want to stop my sway issues. I love to camp but sometimes loathe the towing to get there. Which way should I go?

Can the Reese Dual Cam be added to my round WD bars? Obviously, $150 for the Reese add-on is much better than $400 for the Equal-I-Zer system, but if it won't work for me, then I will save my money and invest in the Equalizer.

Has anyone had experience with all 3 sway controls (Friction, Dual Cam, Equalizer) on the same truck/trailer combo? Can I expect it to be much better than with the friction sway control?

I had a similar weight/height trailer (within 200lbs) that was 1' shorter and had a very similar layout that towed rock solid behind my F250 ext cab diesel long bed. So solid, that I didn't need to use the sway control or the weight distribution. I should never had sold the truck.

The Mrs, myself and 2 great kids
1999 Ford F250 Superduty SuperCab Long bed 7.3L-TD 6sp
Prodigy Controller
2004 Prowler 300Q TT (Our 4th RV)

rhondavid

Birmingham, Al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For your lenght and weight, friction is useless. Did no good on my TT. Love the dual cam. Works great. Not sure about your bars but the original Dual Cam (u-bolt model) has adapters you can purchase to place on your bars if they do not have the cradle on the end of the bar for the cam to ride in.

David,Wife,4 kids,SIL,1 grandchild
2003 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 7.3 PSD w/3.73 rear end
Jayco Kiwi Too 30T bunkhouse w/triple bunks
Prodigy Controller
Reese Dual Cam HP
Michelin LTX M/S
2001 F150 SuperCrew

Topsail Hill Cult Member

gosooners

Fort Worth, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/06 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have to say they both handle sway the same, the difference is how the bars connect. Dual cam uses chains, Equalizer uses L-brackets. I chose the Equalizer because I can stand further away from the hitch when connecting the bars in case something slips and I won't lose a toe or a lot of shin skin and blood. Bottomline is BOTH of these WD hitches work as advertised!

'05 Jayco Feather 29Y
'02 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4
Equalizer WD hitch
Me, Mama, 3 boys, and 1 golden retriever

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/06 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV fanatic wrote:

I have the round style (Eaz-Lift style) WD bars.....
Can the Reese Dual Cam be added to my round WD bars? Obviously, $150 for the Reese add-on is much better than $400 for the Equal-I-Zer system, but if it won't work for me, then I will save my money and invest in the Equalizer.

Yes, the original Reese Dual Cam system with the bolt on cam adapters will work with your Eaz-Lift round bars. Get Model 26000 if your trailer frame is 4" to 5" tall or get Model 26001 if your frame is 6" tall (which I woudl guess is the case with a trailer that long. The cam adapters utilize the U-bolt holes in your bars and I have read previously that somtimes those holes need to be drilled out. I recall reading that sometimes that is very difficult because the bars are made of hardened steel. However a quick and cheap trip to a machine shop for a quick drilling seemed to solve the problem for most folks.

I have the Dual Cam that I use with my Eaz-lift hitch. However, I was given the hitch head without any bars, so when I bought bars, I simply got ones that had hte built-in crook knowing that I would later get a Dual Cam system. The Cam adapters have been proven over many years and work well, so if you already have a complete WD system, the $150 for a Dual Cam is an inexpensive way to add peace of mind to your towing experience.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

RV fanatic

Holland, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/06 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would there be any benefit to getting the later style system with the bars that have the bend in them? Are the earlier models that would adapt to mine just as good? As you can probably tell, I want to do this once. I don't want to get one and then wish I had gotten the other (In terms of the 2 versions of the Reese system).

Does either system have to be disconnected for backing up?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Equal-i-zer vs. Dual Cam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.