RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
sly44

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the market for a 29-31 foot Class C, and am trying to decide whether or not I'll need a Toad. There are 5 of us (sometimes 6), so if we brought along a toad it would need to be a large/heavy one (ie: minivan). I'm basically trying to decide on whether or not to get a slide-out model: more living space, but also more weight which would probably restrict any chance of towing a minivan. I realize that trips to campgrounds where we intend on staying put, will not require a toad; but I'd really like to take 1 or 2 trips a year to sightsee and experience this beautiful country of ours with the kids (ie: driving to a certain destination/camprground, and using it as a home base to visit the local sites/towns/attractions, but also spending a couple of days relaxing at the campground itself). I know that renting a car once at our destination is also an option. Any opinions from experience: with toad OR without toad would really be appreciated.

K3BH

Slower Lower Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi ???,

We have a 29.7 foot long rig and took a couple of short breaks with no toad. There are only two of us. We found it a bit tedious to sightsee in the rig, although it can be done. We found ourselves on some fairly narrow and hilly country roads and were quickly holding up the locals. Spots to pull off were infrequent.

After that, we've pulled the toad with us and find it suits our interests just fine. We think the extra load of hauling it is worth it for the convenient uses we put the toad to when we get to where we're going. It's also comforting to know that we would have a second vehicle if something happened to disable the MH.

If you're only doing a couple of trips a year, you might find it more cost effective to rent cars at your destinations rather than haul a toad around.

Finally, if you prefer an automatic transmission toad, your choices are limited for what can be towed with all wheels down on the ground.

Jay

Jay, Susan, 2 cats in Bigfoot 29G 6.0L PSD. Toad Saturn Ion. SMI-Brake Silent Partner Stay-in-Play. Demco baseplate & tow bar.

JOMAGO

Fort Worth, TX,,,,,,,,,, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO--yes a toad is a good option,
Our reason is we generally stay in member parks for @ 2 wks at a time.
Alot of these parks are spread out with some facilities a mile away. We walk to some of these areas but with sport equipement or food for a covered dish dinner we find a toad to be invaluable. We want to go shopping or out to eat and don't have to go through all the trouble of unhooking everything and then setting back up again. Many people un hook the toad at the front gate and cruise the park to locate a site to camp.

John Marian Going
No KIds, No Pets, No Worries

footdoc2000

Northern CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/06 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sightseeing 100 miles, which can be on the low side, at 8 miles/gallon @ 3.00$/gallon=37.50. a rental car should do much better..most rentals have unlimited mileage/day... not to mention the mileage reduction you are experiencing towing the toad .. not the mention the equipment required to tow, acc brakes etc.... DO THE MATH..... for 1-2 trips a year.... renting sounds reasonable...... Only you know where you are going and can make estimates. PS.... I have a toad for my family but find renting on certain trips makes the most sense..... The slide vs no slide is not a big factor towing four wheels down... the number of occupants and their cargo IS a big factor.... the non slide models have better CCC. No point in having the extra room with a slide if you can't get there safely. I would be taking a second look at the smaller class A's.

kjd15

New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't tow. Most of our trips are weekend trips where we are staying put at the campground. When we go somewhere for longer than a weekend, we rent a car. This last vacation in Myrtle Beach we rented from Rent-A-Wreck for less than $30 a day. We didn't need the car for the first few days so we had it from a Tuesday to Friday. That was plenty.

For us, towing isn't an option at this point. For me, for the few times we need the car, I'd rather spend it on a rental than on the wear and tear on my daily driver, as well as spending money buying the set-up for towing and spending more money on tolls, not to mention extra gas consumption due to extra weight.

Karen & John, 2 kids, 2 dogs
2006 Damon Daybreak 35' 3276 ">

Dynafan

Suffolk, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/06 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, there's only 2 of us, so that makes a difference. I have a 30 footer with 2 slides and tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just did about a 2000 mile round trip to Florida with no towing problems. You do need to know what vehicles can be towed with 4 wheels down. I think they are limited. A tow dolly just adds more weight.
If you want to stay with a class C, getting something like a Jayco Seneca with the diesel should solve your towing weight problems.
Good hunting and good camping to you

2007 Dynamax Grand Sport

Saboteur

LoDo

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are any number of folks who will tell you you don't need a toad with a 30' RV as they are generally maneuverable enough to take most anywhere. Others will tell you it's a hassle to break camp to go sight seeing or to run the store or visit museums etc.

We take a toad on certain trips if we expect to be in anyone place for a while and want to do some backcountry exploring, our toad is a Jeep. We have been to National Parks without a toad and with and actually using the RV for sight seeing is nice, you have everything with you, makes getting ready for a hike or eating lunch on the road easier.

Only you can answer the question for certain. There is no right answer.

As to weight, there are some pretty heavy duty class C's out there now that can handle 30' of RV, 6 people, a lot gear and tow with ease. However, there are a lot of RV's out there that can't do all that. I'll bet that you'll hunt one down that does everything, or most everything you want.

Welcome aboard and happy hunting.

Hayduke

Back in the camper again

My Photo Web Pages

A1B00902

Vancouver B.C CANADA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/06 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had same thoughts many years back. In my opinion it does not matter how big/small your RV is, it is not 100% necessary but if it is your only means of transport you will some time now or later wish you had a toad with you We used to go on trips with family grandkids etc, and if needed would rent a car as needed ,this became some kind of hassle when the rental place was not so close, we had to break camp just to drive to pick up the rental unit ,then again to return it, then times we did not rent, we sometimes had to break camp to run to the supermarket or to go visit places. NO MORE now just hookup the toad and off we go, no more setup and break down of camp site, I now let DW go shopping by her self, and I stay and check out the beer supply, its just like AMERICAN EXPRESS I never leave home without [the toad that is] Hope this is of some help Mike

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

TXSKIBUM

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/06 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are 5 sometimes 7. I dont tow.I also recently went thru a very steep hilly animal park with my buddy and his family in his 32 foot Class C. It wasnt that hard to handle. I am taking the kids out next weekend, plan to drive not tow. I rent when we need it, cheaper easier. Great rental rates are out there. Hooking and unhooking. HA ! I had a TT for awhile. It takes me 10 minutes to set up the Class C vs over 40 to set up the TT. Therefore about 10 minutes maybe 15 to break camp to go shopping. Good Luck.

SUNSEEKER CREW
Andy (Dad), Twin Girls 11 yrs (Twinkies) One Boy 13 yrs (Monkey Boy)Tobey Mellow Yellow Lab
2006 Forest River Sunseeker 3100ss Quad Bunk V10
2010 Armada Titanium

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/06 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been in some busy US & Canada National parks where we could not park the mh while sightseeing and could not stop and get a real good view or take good pictures. If we would have had our toad on those trips we could have found a parking spot. The parking lots had rv parking but it was taken up by cars.
Regards,
Dick

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Is TOAD necessary for a 30 ft Class C when sightseeing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.