RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/07 11:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

QJane, the tires were only lowered that much for maybe 30 minutes each time during the 'garage procedure'. I had spent quite a bit of time getting to that point, and still had another 1 1/2" of wood I 'could have' removed from the gargage - but that was gonna be a major pain, so I just let the pressure waaaaay down and slipped it thru the door.

Once in the garage, I aired back uo to 25 before I started rubbing the door.... later, I had to let it down to 20 when I started removing stuff from the interior. The lowered weight caused the van to rise a little bit.

Thanks, Pamelajo.

Yes, he is fun... but I gotta admit that explaining things twenty-seventy times gets old. He has disemboweled two tape measures so far... and really gets carried away with the carpenter's pencil. I figure I'm doing good to get an hours worth of work done each three hours. [emoticon]

2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first 8)
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

RIA

NEW YORK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/07 04:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ARcruiser, don't forget to insulate the floor before you start to build on top of it. I did it after, what a hassle but what a difference. How long is the van?There is a book called MANAGING 12VOLT SYSTEMS that can help. Came in handy. Well worth the $12. Handy for after system installation as well. Great diagrams as well as well laid ou instructions. The only thing I haven't done yet is cut out an access whole for the electric lin yet. Use 10 guage line. you can get it in Home Depot or Lowes for about $12 for 50 feet. You will end up initially using about half but if you put in a circuit box with 3 line ability you will have for running extre line as well. Have fun.

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/07 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack, I have always gone under the assumption that adding a genset will be pushing close to a $3k investment, maybe as little as $2500. If I add one, I'll definitely want to be sure it'll run any 110v load I may throw at it - especially an air conditioner. Remote start will make it a lot more convenient. And it will need to be hitch mounted in an enclosed (and vented and/or forced fan equipped) aluminum box - probably a customization of a box from Tractor Supply or such.

My venting is exceptional due to the cargo carriers mesh floor. I built the generator/propane cylinder containment box with no bottom!...just 2"x3" framing, then painted all with 'Rustoleum' semi gloss black (3 coats). I glued and stapled nylon screen (to prevent bug intrusion) to the framing perimeter bottom prior to mounting the box onto the cargo carriers mesh floor.

I mounted a 10" industrial, very low power consumption 110v fan onto the underside of the mesh floor (low profile), close to the generator. I simply plug the power cord of the fan into my 'Yamaha' outlet when running.
BTW...this fan is good for 140+ degree temperatures...A MUST!

2006 DIY Dodge Badged Sprinter Conversion

ennajean

Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/03/07 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like your project is coming along pretty nicely....cant wait to see the finished product. Isnt the penthouse top the greatest?

Anne and Dick

DABEE a 2006 Ford Sportsmobile Penthouse top.

baywoodbill

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/07 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At first glance I thought that generator was one of the new economy cars.

ExCargoVan

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/07 12:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
If you don't mind me asking, how did you anchor on the lauan (or whatever kind of wood it is) on the walls? Did you just drill small holes and screw it in pretty much? Thanks in advance.

WANTED: Older cargo or window van from Dakota's or Minnesota area --- NO or little rust --- good running --- $1k or under -- PM me with what you've got!

RIA

NEW YORK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/07 04:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Dodge ram there are beams that go up & down. I cut 2 x 2 wood beams to fit SNUG into the the spaces & hammered hard. 4 yrs later they haven't moved an inch. From there I just nailed my marine board to that. I used marine board Because it is lighter than luan. More flexible also & cheaper than wiggle board. It can be painted. The cabinets are also mounted to the beams.

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/07 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExCargoVan, keep in mind that the conversion as shown in the picture you reposted is what I removed.

I'm not using any 2x4's.... mostly 1x2 and 1x4... maybe a bit of 2x2 in places. I'm using 3/16 and 1/4 material on walls but have been told by a major manufacturer that they routinely use 1/8 material. I'm going thicker under the assumption that I may not be supporting it as well as the professionals.

Yep, I'll be using same method as previous owner - attaching to the vertical supports and window frames with screws... and to some added horizontal supports.

I have 'roughed in' the dinette, but have not taken pictures since it's all coming back out. I guess I need to do that...

Later.

WANA B

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/07 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=RIA]ARcruiser, don't forget to insulate the floor before you start to build on top of it. I did it after, what a hassle but what a difference. RIA. What/how did you insulate the floor? ARcruiser. GO GO. keep the pic coming. Wana b

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

newroadtrekowner

Ft. Washington, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/07 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see your 2nd row seat, (behind driver seat) what is the make/model? where did you purchase? (from the pics. it appears to be same as those up front, is that correct?)
comfort level as compared to stock bucket seats upfront? does it recline?
thanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.