RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/07 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most of the other stuff, I got it off of ebay. It's a take out seat from a converter. The van came with vinyl front buckets that recline with no armrests. She doesn't like armrests, says they get in the way. She doesn't care if vinyl or cloth. I figure he's better off on vinyl for easy cleanups.

The seat was removed from a Chevy express van and the colors are a very close match.... the newer vinyl seats are quite a bit darker than my seats, but the cloth/vinyl is pretty close to the color of mine.

I had to make a few calls to sellers to find one that would include the base and slide mechanism.

So, I bought a reclining cloth/vinyl with armrest for the drivers position and moved the original vinyl drivers sear to the rear for the little guy. Bolted thru the floor using recommended Grade 8 hardware including 3" washers below the floor... same type hardware for the seatbelt and it's attachments. Seatbelt also came from ebay...

as did the new in box refrigerator, fluorescent lights, sink and faucet (the only used items so far) and lots of other goodies.

Water tanks will come from there as well.

Now, it also looks like I'm gonna remove two seats and install swivels, which will mean relocating seat belt anchor points.

2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first 8)
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/07 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, here's my 'rough in' of the dinette to see if I like the height and aisle width..... it's all coning back out. I was at 13" height with a 20" width and am going to lower an inch and widen to 26".

I'll also be removing the side wall panels for final installation of insulation, wiring and additional bracing - then reinstalling.

largest piece of wood used thus far is the 1x4 across the rear... and everything seems to be plenty sturdy.

next phase will delete that piece as I want to be able to load stuff into the van from the rear.

yeah, the table and leg components came from ebay, also.

[image]

[image]

and a better view of the seats....

[image]

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/08 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, here it is - first of another year and I haven't touched this project since May or so.

Why? Procrastination and Distractions....

Both Distractions are gone now, so it's simply procrastination at this point.

Not much has changed in my planning other than I have pretty much decided that the a/c is going in the rear door - similar to the installation in the Traverse.

Trying to decide between 20 gallon fresh / 16 gray or
16 gallon fresh / 10 gallon gray.

I was leaning toward 20/16 but the Westy only had 11 / 8 or so - and it was fine for our use.... so now 16 / 10 sounds good.

[image]

[image]

VernM

Marion County, AR

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/08 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y'all get over here in the Marion County area, say the Buffalo River National Park or Bull Shoals, etc., drop me a line and we'll compare resuslts. Mine isn't as fancy as yours, but I'm a lot older, you see, and there's just me and a compact dog.

VernM
GMC Conversion van/Wells Cargo MiniWagon trailer
Sent via HughesNet/SatMex5 Internet Portal

RIA

NEW YORK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/08 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to Lowes & got a couple 12 foot sections of a rubber matting (nice & thick). They were about 4' wide. Laid out & cut where necessary. With carpet on top the van is warm on the floor. The rest of my insulation is bed foam acquired at my job. The only part of the van that isn't insulated is the 8' section from the bed to the back on the ceiling of the front seats. Still haven't been able to get a raised roof delivered to any place that will accept up here w/o doing the work.

* This post was edited 01/08/08 05:09am by RIA *

elephant_family

Quebec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great project! I am preparing to do something very similar to this.

One question, my van is the extended body and was wondering if someone would recommend what I am about to do. Instead of having the dinette in the back I would push it right behind the 2 row seat. Leaving the back for cabinets.

I would have the same configurations for the 3 seats. By experience would it be better to have the cabinets behind the 2 row and thus using the side doors OR cabinets in the back and using the back doors?

2004 Ford E350 EB
Ste-Julie, Quebec

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a loooong hiatus (8 months?), I actually spent 3 days working on the van the weekend beginning Feb 8th! [emoticon]
I tore out the 'roughed in' dinette and removed all of the wall panels, etc... roughed in the new wiring and cut / covered / installed the new finished wall on the drivers side... and made preliminary side panels for the drivers side mid-cabinet also.

Martin, look at the plans at Sportsmobile's site - they have several standard plans similar to what you describe.

My personal experience has shown that we prefer the dinette / bed to be in the back - allowing for maximum 'walk around room' when the bed is made up. I would not like having the bed between the galley and living room - but that's my personal preference.

Only real downside I see is the weight behind the axle. Loaded up cabinetry is, as a general rule, heavier than the dinette would be (in my mind) - and it's a good thing to have weight between the front and rear axles... it may not even matter - looks like SMB has many plans like that, it's just my thinking.

elephant_family

Quebec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My personal experience has shown that we prefer the dinette / bed to be in the back - allowing for maximum 'walk around room' when the bed is made up."

That is true. See I like this forum where you can ask people with experience.

Maybe you could help me as well with another question I have. I want to use the table for the bed. Just remove the leg and and drop the table top between the 2 bench. But how can I make this? Would a 1X1 screwed to the front of the bench would be enough to support us?

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was gonna use a 1x2, exactly as you describe, to support the dropped table top between the benches to allow making the bed.

BUT - I bought a 20" wide table top and have decided I want 24" - 26" between benches so that idea is out the window. (that's why I wanted to 'rough draft' the dinette layout)

I'll still be using a 1x2 attached to the face of the bench, but now I'll use a few 1x12's (shelf boards or similar) to span the distance and put the bed cushions on top of that. Pleasure-Way did it like that in our '98 model Excel TW. The 1x12's store under one of the dinette benches.

I plan to attach via screws from the inside, so's as to minimize visibility of fasteners.

Terry used what looks like 1" x 1" angled aluminum in place of 1x wooden material in his Chevy conversion.

I still feel that the 20" wide table will suit us better than a wider top would, allowing more room to move around when the table is in place.

I'll either store the table top behind the third seat or under one of the benches.

Cushions - I already have the plywood, foam and cloth purchased.... the plan is... I'm just gonna wrap and staple the cloth to the wooden bases, which is within the realm of "stuff I can do" - rather than hire an upholstery shop to make my cushions.

There is (was?) a guy on ebay that makes cushions at a very reasonable price, but I think I'm gonna do some pretty odd shapes in the back of the Chevy so I'll have to make my own.

bananadanna

Cambridge, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoy our pair of Tablemate2's folding tables. The tables work well outdoors, too, and we prefer to dine al fresco when feasible. Our van seating is designed to let the leg base slide in. The tabletop distance is easily adjustable. Nice to be able to push the table away for access since you can't push the seats away. Good for laptop work or end table use. Another way to do things.
[image]

Dan
02 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 long tall home brew conversion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.