RV.Net Open Roads Forum: ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/08 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK... The left wall is 80% done.... the window was retrimmed with 1x3's as a frame, which were covered in vinyl. The wall panel is 1/4" luann, covered with 1/2" headliner foam (3M #74 adhesive is great!), then covered with the vinyl (more #74), which is also stapled on the back side. Visible fasteners got caps, the others did not. Yeah, I know there are 18 of them around the window, but that's what it took to get the wall panel to pull down and fit the contour of the wall. They won't look bad when curtains, trim and cabinetry are installed.

Wiring consisted of a 100' 3C12 SO extension cord cut up for runs to the 110v outlets and a 3C14 SO cord cut to run power for the 12v fridge and 12v outlets. Why cut a cord? A 100' 3C12 cord runs around $50, but 3C12 SO cord alone runs a little over $1 per foot - go figure.

No, I never intended to use vinyl and would not choose to do so again if I thought it out first... or would I?

Yeah - 3 days for one wall.... I gotta pick up a little steam!

My 'helper' taking a pose....
[image]

2 Big Cruisers, The Little Man, and Bailey / ARcruiser's Class B's (the first 8)
Rig #8 Under Construction! / Here's the Project Thread - I'm actually working on it again!

diyvanner

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/08 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 days to finish just one wall??? Definitely was the help! Takes me 3 days just to get the tools and the materials together. [emoticon] Great job! Working with curved walls is a real challenge and was one of the reasons I did the nautical theme. You’re right about the buttons, you needed to get a tight fit around the windows and it looks like you got a perfect fit. I think you have the same problem I do though…if the window ever leaks…I had to tighten the frame on one of mine before I finished the wall… well out of sight out of mind. [emoticon]

diyVanner

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/08 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, maybe I'll actually carry on thru this time!

More wall work last weekend -depending on your opinion this could be either a "how - to" or a "how-NOT-to"... [emoticon]

Got the wall back down to metal... reinstalled the insulation/heat shield/sound deadener stuff.... framed the window (only exposed portions got covered with the vinyl).... and a bit of framing for wall support down lower (decided to do 2 pieces, reusing existing supplies, rather than hassle with trying to do one piece again)... installed the finished wall (1/4" ply covered with 1/2" headliner pad covered with vinyl)...

[image]

[image]

[image]

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/08 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AND....

I mostly finished the 1st cabinet... potti fits under it, the fridge fit in it and room left for the microwace on top! I had kinda hoped it would turn out that way. See what 'thinking about it' for a year and a half gets ya!

After the galley cabinet is built, I'll pull 'em both back out for finishing.

[image]

[image]

sizzy

St Petersburg, Fl,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/08 12:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your van project looks great. I especially love the cabnet. It will be nice to have the fridge up off the floor.

Kathy with Sparkles and Ellie (the camping dogs)"> "> ">
2002 Pleasureway Traverse

Lynne Jayzee

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/08 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lookin' good, Wayne...keep the momentum going!

Get it finished and maybe you can show it off in Logan, Niobrara or Moab.

- LJZ

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/08 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks very good... and I know that there ain't no rushin' craftsmanship... It's gonna happen at whatever pace it happens at. Heck, you can show it off at whichever rally suits ya, finished or not! I bet you're getting a fine appreciation of the problems that have to be solved in building a B... [emoticon]

Jim, "Mo' caw-fee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/08 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great momentum and workmanship Wayne!

What type of Refer?...Thermo-electric/compressor/cubic ft?

ARcruiser

Benton, AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/08 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Craftsmanship.... it's not turning out as nicely as I had hoped it might, but it's better than what she had feared - so I guess it's coming along OK. [emoticon] ...and he's happy with it! [emoticon]

I used a router for only the second time in my life while building the cabinet. Keep in mind that I do not have a table saw, etc... just hand power tools - skil saw, jig saw, router, etc..... not even saw horses - I use 2x4's on the garage floor.

Fridge off the floor was a must.

The fridge is a Norcold DC-0051 12v only - 2.7 cu ft. The DE-0051 12v/110v was only about $50 higher, but I figured it didn't matter since I am installing a WFCO battery charger / power converter. When on shore power I'll still be getting power from the 110 source after it's converted.

Had I read the ravings of Dan and others before buying this fridge (I bought it about this time last year), I very well may have bought an Engel.

Hit The Road Jack

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/08 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ARcruiser wrote:

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Craftsmanship.... it's not turning out as nicely as I had hoped it might, but it's better than what she had feared - so I guess it's coming along OK. [emoticon] ...and he's happy with it! [emoticon]

I used a router for only the second time in my life while building the cabinet. Keep in mind that I do not have a table saw, etc... just hand power tools - skil saw, jig saw, router, etc..... not even saw horses - I use 2x4's on the garage floor.

Fridge off the floor was a must.

The fridge is a Norcold DC-0051 12v only - 2.7 cu ft. The DE-0051 12v/110v was only about $50 higher, but I figured it didn't matter since I am installing a WFCO battery charger / power converter. When on shore power I'll still be getting power from the 110 source after it's converted.

Had I read the ravings of Dan and others before buying this fridge (I bought it about this time last year), I very well may have bought an Engel.

The 'Engel' will be my next 'In House Refer' Wayne!

Pri[emoticon]rities pri[emoticon]rities pri[emoticon]rities...[emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> ARcruiser's Camping Van Conversion Project (lotsa pics)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.