|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cross winds and Class C

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lmatch

Klamath Falls, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/11 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Harvard! I'll give that a shot. BTW, are you currently up by Calgary, or is that just where you were when you created the profile? Looks like a nice area to RV to..

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/11 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lmatch wrote:

Thanks Harvard! I'll give that a shot. BTW, are you currently up by Calgary, or is that just where you were when you created the profile? Looks like a nice area to RV to..

We live 45 miles, as the crow flies, NW of Calgary. Yes, if you have a US passport for your return trip home it would be a nice trip. I would hate to see anyone who wants to have more +caster on their E350/450 not get it just because most alignment shops hate serving customers who know what they want. As an alignment tech at a chain outlet they must look real good at head office when they can do 6 to 8 alignments per day.

Po6ept

Peoria, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/11 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1998 E350 Dutchman 26Q that was a terror to drive over 55 mph. I took it to alignment shops multiple times. The last one decreased the caster instead of increasing it and convinced me that the alignment was correct.

I installed Hellwig sway bars, Bilstein shocks, new ball joints, tie rods and ends, wheel bearings, etc. Each change gave a little improvement, but the coach still handled poorly and my wife refused to drive it.

I was lucky to stumble across Harvard's comments on a couple of forums. His advice made sense, so I decided to try fixing it myself.

I bought a set of alignment bushings. They are sold as INGALLS 594, Specialty Products 24180, Spicer 6122025, NAPA NCP 264-3950, and Superlift SLF-1120. I emailed Harvard for additional advice and he was kind enough to help me understand even more. It took less than 30 minutes to replace the bushings on both sides, setting the caster to the maximum with zero degrees of camber.

One word, REMARKABLE!

The coach now tracks straight and true at 70-75 mph and passing trucks are no longer a problem. I am amazed that such a simple change fixed the problem.

If your E350/E450 based coach wanders, feels like the wheels each have a mind of their own, will not track correctly, darts across the lane with every passing truck, or is just exhausting to drive, please do yourself a favor and ask your alignment shop to add more positive caster before you start buying suspension upgrades.

Many thanks to Harvard for his help. I was ready to sell my coach and am now looking forward to my next trip.

* This post was last edited 08/06/11 11:35pm by Po6ept *   View edit history

claudalfa

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/11 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With our 2008 Winnebago View build on a Sprinter chassis, we usually slow down to 55 when high winds are present and never had problem with awning, but I will get a tie down system just in case. Thanks for the advice

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

After our first trip with our brand new 2007 E350 chassis motor home, I took it to This Shop where my first motor home was made right 12 years earlier.

This company, Champion Frame-Align, is located in the industrial heartland of America (Elgin, IL). A quote from their website:

"At Champion Frame-Align we are proud of our nationwide reputation for solving suspension, alignment and steering-related issues, which have stumped others, on recreational vehicles, trucks, trailers and cars.".

In hindsight, I too would trust them to solve my E450 handling problems but it would be a very expensive trip from Calgary to Elgin, IL. You IL folks are very fortunate to be located in the midst of such talented resources. [emoticon]

Tech Dude

Torrance

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/11 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same rig as Rons
I have not done any thing
maybe because I have had vans
since the early 70s
also had a few VWs

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/11 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tech Dude, What specific tires does yours ride on?

Jim, "Strip mining prevents forest fires."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/11 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timwood wrote:

IMO there is a big difference between a tow rig/tt (or even better: 5th wheel) and a class C in cross winds...my first experience was down right shocking! Furthermore, I think some people are much more sensitive to it than others.
I used to have a 30' Class C, and now I have a 22', and both have serious cross wind issues for me. My good friend has a 28' foot C, and said, "I've spent over $5K on upgrades to my suspension, cross winds don't phase me." So I drove his....it handled EXACTLY like mine!!!!
There is a good side to all this though: you get used to it. Now that I've driven several thousand miles, it doesn't bother me nearly as much.
Tim

I experienced just the opposite. I dumped my TT because I got tired of white knuckle trips and being sidelined with wind and bad weather. Bought a MH.
3 years later and it still makes me smile as I plow thru cross winds and bad weather with my 31 ft. I just got back from down south and for 2 entire days of travel the winds were in excess of 40 mph. I drove with one hand on the steering wheel and had no problem.

After reading years of posts of handling problmes, I'm starting to think I just got real lucky with my MH I don't have any steering problems or ride problems. The only thing I did to it was new Monroe RVshocks and new leaf springs plus one. She rides rock solid and is a pleasure to drive in all weather conditions.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Harvard

51.6N 114.7W

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/11 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

After reading years of posts of handling problmes, I'm starting to think I just got real lucky with my MH I don't have any steering problems or ride problems. The only thing I did to it was new Monroe RVshocks and new leaf springs plus one. She rides rock solid and is a pleasure to drive in all weather conditions.

...and I for one am dying to know what your front end caster might be set at? [emoticon]

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/11 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Po6ept wrote:

If your E350/E450 based coach wanders, feels like the wheels each have a mind of their own, will not track correctly, darts across the lane with every passing truck, or is just exhausting to drive, please do yourself a favor and ask your alignment shop to add more positive caster before you start buying suspension upgrades.
After our first trip with our brand new 2007 E350 chassis motor home, I took it to This Shop where my first motor home was made right 12 years earlier. They did as you did, and after 4 years and 15,000 miles, I am still extremely well pleased, worth every penny of the $3900 spent for both comfort and safety.

But I feel it is "Everything In Combination" that made the difference. Not one thing alone. This is what I had done.

- heavy duty motor home shocks (Koni)
- front & rear heavy duty stabilizer bars (Roadmaster)
- rear trac bar (Henderson)
- heavy duty front steering stabilizer (Safe-T-Plus)
- front alignment with offset bushings to correct an extreme camber

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Cross winds and Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS