|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roswell to Deming, NM

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ELF169

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/11 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could someone please give me the best route. Driving 37' motor home towing a car. Google says route 70 has partial restricted usage and recommends route 380 to I-25. Looks like route 380 is about 50 miles farther. Suggestions! First trip west. Thanks

rv2go

Fulltime 15 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/11 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that you take 70 to 54 and then down to Alamogordo. Then continue on to the White Sands National Monument for a visit. From White Sands to Las Cruces, you could run into a traffic delay if they are testing missiles. You will be notified at the 54/70 split. In that case, you could continue on 54 to I-25.
We took this route last fall and I don't remember any road condition out of the ordinary.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

ELF169

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/11 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the good advice. So looking forward to the trip.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/11 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not have to take US 380 all the way to I-25, you can take US 54 South at Carrizozo to Alamorgordo then use US 70 to get over to Las Cruces & I-10 to Deming. I would agree with the suggestion about Lincoln and Valley of Fires. Also on the way to Cruces you will be passing White Sands Nat'l Monument - Alamogordo off US 70.

If you make it to the our area and happen to be hungry are when in Las Cruces, Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican food plus camping and attractions in the area. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Ft. Selden was the boyhood home of Gen. Douglas McArthur.

If you are looking for things New Mexico, just to the west of Las Cruces is Historic Old Mesilla. If you will be looking for Indian jewelry or other crafts, Mesilla may have better buys than up north, mostly the same stuff. Shopping in Mesilla

If you take US 380 off US 70, follow it to Carrizozo, you will be passing Billy the Kid Country & town of Lincoln (off the route some but connected to the Lincoln County War Fort Stanton) & Smokey Bear in Capitan, & the neat Valley of Fire BLM Campground and then use US 54 to Alamogordo.
Fires BLM Or keep on US 380 to San Antonio to the Bosque del Apache would be very neat this time of the year and I-25. By-Passing Alamo & Cruces if at Hatch, Exit 41 you take NM 26 to Deming area.

Fidencios Mexican Food
501 West Hall Street, Hatch, NM 87937
(575) 267-4950

* This post was edited 03/24/11 12:37pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

johnna

Southwest, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hwy 70 is closed for missile testing which does not happen that often and usually at night or early morning. See web site:
http://home.nps.gov/whsa/parknews/closures.htm

****************************************************** ">
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs

lornaschinske

Here until we leave

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/11 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ELF169 wrote:

.... route 380 to I-25. Looks like route 380 is about 50 miles farther. Suggestions! First trip west. Thanks

If you take US380, you can stop in Lincoln which US 380 goes right thru the middle of. Also it takes you thru the Valley of Fires which is a huge lava flow (so cool). You can stop on the side of the road and walk out into the flow. There is also a campground out there. We've not stopped because Socorro is our end destination. Too close.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Roswell to Deming, NM
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.