RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Drop on a bed of a truck when your fifth wheel jacks are up.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Drop on a bed of a truck when your fifth wheel jacks are up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dqdick wrote:

At some point you need to get your rig weighed. The decision on air bags or not should be made on how much weight you are shifting from your front axle. We were shifting 140# which was really not enough to worry about but I put bags on anyway and now we don't shift anything.
If your hitch is mounted over or ahead of the truck's rear axle, you won't be removing any weight off the front axle. Only time a fifth wheel can cause the truck's front axle to lose weight is if the hitch is mounted behind the truck's axle, which is an improper installation, for any model of pickup and any model of fifth wheel hitch.

I fully agree on weighing each axle of the truck and the trailer axles.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with all the others on the 2 inches of drop being a-ok.

Only time to worry is when the truck drops to below level in the rear.

tjar66

Camarillo CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similiar drop on my 3500. I went with airbags to keepoff the overload spring the rebound was extremely rough on bigger bumps. The ride was night and day.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins
2007 Desert Fox 305j
2011 Yamaha Raptor 700
2005 Yamaha Raptor 350 Wife's
2004 Honda 450r Sons
2007 Honda 250ex Daughter

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

7.3 psdman wrote:

Mine goes down a lot more than two inches on a one ton. I am carrying about 2300# of pin weight from a 13000# fifth wheel. I think mine goes down at least 4" before it rests on the overloads. After having everything weighed out by RVSEF at a rally they said I'm in good shape as far as weight on truck and fifth wheel. They are the real experts at determining everything about weights in RVing.
You can add Torklift Stable Loads, or Super Sway Stops from Super Springs company, to help with that problem.

These products are both extra tall polyurethane bushings that replace the short factory rubber bushings under the truck frame's overload spring bumper brackets. What these do is decrease the amount of free space between the overload spring bumpers and the ends of the overload leaf. This allows the overload springs to become engaged sooner, before the truck drops so low, which in turn keeps the truck more level instead of sagging so much.

Stable Loads-

Super Sway Stops-

Another way to solve the problem is to simply have your overload spring leafs re-arc'd at a local spring shop, so they are taller and engage sooner. This is really what the truck manufacturers should have done in the first place. Either that, or mount the frame bumpers down lower.

Yet another way is to replace the standard fixed-position overload spring frame bumpers with adjustable height frame bumpers. These are made by Dayton Spring and are sold by Stengel Bros.

Dayton adjustable height frame brackets-

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 3/4 ton with 1 ton suspension........so I guess you have overload leaf on your spring pack.

With a 2" drop you should just be loading the overload spring which is right.......tow on and enjoy!

7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine goes down a lot more than two inches on a one ton. I am carrying about 2300# of pin weight from a 13000# fifth wheel. I think mine goes down at least 4" before it rests on the overloads. After having everything weighed out by RVSEF at a rally they said I'm in good shape as far as weight on truck and fifth wheel. They are the real experts at determining everything about weights in RVing.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

You have a 3/4 ton with 1 ton suspension........so I guess you have overload leaf on your spring pack.

With a 2" drop you should just be loading the overload spring which is right.......tow on and enjoy!

X2 I would not add air bags if they are going to hold you above the truck overload springs. You may find the trailer may buck as it goes into and out of the truck overload springs with minor bumps on our very smooth interstate highways LOL.

My 05 2500 HD Dmax has about a 2 inch drop with 2000 lb pin which puts me in a comfortable range. If you look at your truck unloaded you will most likely find it is a little high in the rear. With the 2 inch drop it most likely will be more level.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Drop on a bed of a truck when your fifth wheel jacks are up.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS