|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
travelover

Santa Clara

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go down to Puerto Penasco Mexico almost every year with 5 or 6 other rigs, I buy my Mexico Insurance from my Insurance Agent and last year one of the guys bought their insurance from Mexico insurance. Yester day he got an email from them saying that if you are going back to Mexico be aware that now you have to get a vehicle permit for each vehicle (motorhome and toad). For a vehicle 2007 and newer is $400 and a vehicle 2001 to 2006 is $300. This is going to cost me $700. it is said that it is only a deposit and we get it back when we come back across the board.

Have you heard of this new requirment?

I have always been told if you stay in the free zone (EG: Puerto Penasco) all you need is your passport, that is what we have always traveled with.

Hope you have some input.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Wright

Trackrig

MH now parked in Phoenix, AZ / we're in Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go visit Jim's blog at http://chaos.goblinbox.com, he's in Mexico now and has been there several time with a MH. I'm sure he would give you some advice. One thing to remember is the different states in Mexico could have somewhat different insurance requirements.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/12 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This requirement is only for vehicles that are taken beyond the Free Zone. It has been in sffect since Last Year!

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..92 Tracker 4X2

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please post on how your trip goes. We used to go to Puerta Penasco once a year, but stopped 3 years ago when we felt the border to less safe. Then I started reading that the Riff was like a ghost town. Please tell us what you think when you get there.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kalynzoo wrote:

Please post on how your trip goes. We used to go to Puerta Penasco once a year, but stopped 3 years ago when we felt the border to less safe. Then I started reading that the Riff was like a ghost town. Please tell us what you think when you get there.

You make me laugh
Quotee used to go to Puerta Penasco once a year, but stopped 3 years ago when we felt the border to less safe.

you live in LA? one of the most dangerous citys in North America and your worried about Puerta Penasco?? Your way too funny

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 10 year permit on the motorhome with 6 years to go, so no problem with that one. On the Jeep toad, the refund came pretty fast, credited to our Visa card. Note that you DO have to stop on the way out to cancel the permit!

ajchase

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I found on the Consular Affairs Website regarding Vehicle Permits:

"Tourists wishing to travel beyond the border zone with their vehicle must obtain a temporary import permit or risk having their vehicle confiscated by Mexican customs officials. At present the only exceptions to the requirement are for vehicles traveling in the Baja Peninsula and those vehicles covered by the “Only Sonora” program in Western Sonora. This program generally covers the area west of Mexican Federal Highway 15 between the Arizona border and the Gulf of California, ending in Empalme. Foreign vehicles entering Mexico through land border crossings in Sonora do not need temporary import permits if they remain within the zone established by the program."

Hope this helps.

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelover wrote:

I go down to Puerto Penasco Mexico almost every year with 5 or 6 other rigs, I buy my Mexico Insurance from my Insurance Agent and last year one of the guys bought their insurance from Mexico insurance. Yester day he got an email from them saying that if you are going back to Mexico be aware that now you have to get a vehicle permit for each vehicle (motorhome and toad). For a vehicle 2007 and newer is $400 and a vehicle 2001 to 2006 is $300. This is going to cost me $700. it is said that it is only a deposit and we get it back when we come back across the board.

Have you heard of this new requirment?

I have always been told if you stay in the free zone (EG: Puerto Penasco) all you need is your passport, that is what we have always traveled with.

Hope you have some input.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Wright

Rocky Point is in the Free Zone or whatever they call it now. No permit required.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40C

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky Point & Baja does NOT require the new permit. Enjoy, nothing has changed for you!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS