|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> power awning tiedowns

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
patfrmokla

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We picked up our new toyhauler yesterday. A KZ MXT sportsman. A great startup unit for us while we scrimp and safe for a nice duelly and 5'vr in two years!
Our walk through with McClains was less than satisfactory, as the young lady who was tasked our appt. appeared to not even know was an RV was, but that aside, since we are pretty familiar with the inner workings of a traveling home, it was not a huge deal. That said, we have never had a power awning before and frankly, very seldom used the manual one (never in one spot long enough it seems LOL!). We asked her if there was anyway to anchor the awning once out (she didn't pull it out for us ) to avoid the flapping from wind, which of course would result in extra wear and tear. Her response was "I just wouldn't put it out if it looks like it might be windy". ***sigh***.
I am pretty sure there are products out there that can assist with this situation, just don't know the best one. And of course if there is a Cat 2 hurricane coming through, I'll pull it back in...HA!
Thanks for your help!
Pat

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She's right, you know.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Markiemark32

Atlanta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 06:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gets debated here at times, to tie down or not:

Tie Down Electric Canopy

My Shade that attaches, uses bascially tent stakes & bungees to tie down to ground. I would assume, the ones that tie down, use rope & a ground stake.

Markiemark

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a power awning and it takes about 20 seconds to bring it in. I do not thingk I would worry about tying it down. I put it in each night and back out in the morning...no biggie. If it looks like a storm or getting windy, put it in...20 seconds. If we go away for the day, put it in....20 seconds.

patfrmokla

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok...logic prevails..put it in I guess it was more her 'attitude' that got me than the answer. LOL!

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly sounds like you didn't get a professional to walk you though. But even though I don't have a power on, if the winds kick up the awning goes in. I've seen several awnings ripped off their RVs because the owners didn't bring them in, in one case it was tied down and the fabric was flapping in the wind but the frame was all bent up.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

BradinOhio

Akron, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use tie-downs. It is easier to press a button and bring it in.

Brad ('68), Sandy ('71), Amber (shephard), Niko (shiba inu)

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS
'10 Keystone Passport UL 245RB (prior - retired 6/2012)
'07 Rockwood Roo 21SS (prior)

patfrmokla

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your responses. I am inclined to do the "bring it back in" method My major issue was even in a very slight breeze on the day we did the walk through, it was flapping about erratically, but...she may not have extended it all the way out either, giving the awning room to move more. I'll blame it on her for now and take the wait and see avenue. Will be heading out for the first time with it on the 14th of this month, up to Wisconsin. Brakes are installed, but they need adjusting, sway bars ready to hook up, just need to fill the garage with product, food in the pantry, gas in the generator and off we go!

gravessat

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I run out my awning, I go all the way, then run it back in just a bit to tighten it up. Works for me until it gets really windy then we run it all the way in or in half way in seams alot better even when its pretty windy.

2008 Dodge 3500 Megacab
2012 Voltage V3795 Epic package
2011 Black RZR4
2010 blue RZR4 Robbie Gordon Special!

drwwicks

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/03/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along a slight different line, what about transport clips or locks. Current RV has power awning, my 1st power one, and in the past would drill a hole through the uprights and put a clip to prevent accidental deployment while on the road. Is this necessary with a power one?

2011 Keystone Raptor 300MP
2012 Ram 3500 CC Dually
2011 Harley Davidson FLHTK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> power awning tiedowns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts