RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Auto insurance rebates, 10 year permits, & other questions

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Auto insurance rebates, 10 year permits, & other questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Question 1:

Here in BC, you can get rebated premiums by your insurance company while in Mexico.

I have been told on several occasions by Americans that they cannot get this.

I am putting a package together for participants in a West Coast Caravan this season, and some of them will be American. So does anyone know of any US insurers that will do this? Somebody at one time also mentioned at least one US insurer will cover liability.

Also, has anyone considered (or tried) putting storage insurance, which is usually far cheaper, on vehicles going into Mexico? Obviously starting it the day after crossing and ending the day before going back. It seems to me this may be a way around an insurer who won't suspend payments while in Mexico.

Question 2:

Has anyone confirmed one way or another if the $200-$400 vehicle ransom applies to 10 year permits.

It looks like I will be substituting for Mike & Terri Church for the Mexico RV Seminars at the RV show in Abbotsford (Vancouver, BC area Sept 27-30) this fall (they are in Oz), and that is one question I would like to be able to answer.

Question 3:

Has anyone had any difficulty taking an unregistered ATV into Mexico? I have spoken to one BC'er who does it (they are unregistered here) and he says no problem with the original sales receipt. I am wondering if anyone has had trouble getting the on line permit with an unregistered ATV attached?

Has anyone ever been stopped on the street with an unlicensed ATV in Mexico? I suspect throwing an old plate on it may not be a bad idea.

I just bought one, so that question is for myself.

gwbaines

Central coastal Calif

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried this by suspending my insurance on my vehicles in California, while I was in Mexico for four months. The insurance company had no problems with this, but state deregistered the vehicles because of lack of insurance and it was a mess to get them reregistered and I really had to sneak back home from the border with a technically unregistered vehicle!

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We entered Mexico at Piedras Negras last November. Paid the deposit on the Jeep, nothing on the Motorhome which had 6 years to go on the 10 year permit.

The Jeep deposit was credited to our Credit Card a few days after we exited Mexico at Sonoyta in March.

hacienda contreras

Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have an Allstate policy for our F350 which is still registered in Illinois. They suspend it for us but do not take it off. That makes the policy much cheaper for most of the year. When the Secretary of State of Illinois asks for insurance verification, we are able to mail them a copy of our card which shows we do have insurance. No problems so far, but you never know.

Turtle-Toad

Wherever I park (orig Kingston, WA. USA)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/06/12 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have updated my Border FAQ's to cover most of this.

1. No US insurance companies will rebate you for the time the vehicle was in Mexico. As gwbaines found out; most state laws will 'deregister' you if you suspend your insurance or change the vehicle status to 'stored'.

2. RV's (and anything else that qualifies for the 10 year permit) do NOT pay the deposit. This deposit is in place to stop vehicle smugglers. Apparently boat and RV smugglers are not that big of a problem.

3. For OTR (Off The Road) vehicles, if you don't need a plate in the US you don't need one in Mexico, and a bill of sale is all you need. Just remember what OTR means. Also, as an OTR, you don't need a TIP, It is considered 'recreational equipment' and will be covered by and included with your vehicle TIP. This also applies to small motorcycles. But you're limited to 2 of these on a single TIP.

However; As in the U.S. Any motor vehicle on the roads has to be 'street legal' and registered. If you have plates on your ATV, you can drive it on the streets. If you put plates on it from some other vehicle and they stop you, you will probably get caught. The Mexican and US police departments now share databases. Of course there are certain beach or desert towns that don't bother enforcing the law. Just be aware that you run the risk of having your ATV impounded.

As an expansion to question 1: Interstate and Progressive have policies for RV's that cover everything except PL/PD (Public Liability/Property Damage) and Legal in Mexico. No US or Canadian PL/PD is good in Mexico. Most Mexican insurance companies have policies that cover just PL/PD and Legal. Since insurance rates are based on the bluebook value of the vehicle, this can keep the insurance cost down.

Turtle & Toad, On the Road
37' Georgetown XL w/3 slides, 1 1/2 bath, & 595 watts of solar power
06 Taco TRD (for "Off the Road")
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here
Only States/Provinces that I have spent at least a week in are shown

Eve_Steve

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We suspended our Progressive insurance for 1/2 year when we shipped our motor home to Europe last year. When we returned, Progressive charged us a higher premium because they considered us uninsured for that 1/2 year. They wouldn't accept proof of European policy that we had. In the end, it cost us more in the higher premiums than to have continued our U.S. insurance while gone.

Evelyn and Steve
2006 Winnebago View

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent information from Turtle Toad ( as usual)!

Thanks

Moisheh

stanbnv

Fallon NV, La PeƱita de Jaltemba, Nay.

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The State of Nevada will send you a letter demanding that you turn in your licence plate and will fine you $250 for being uninsured.

Stan & Linda
Hobo the Cat
06 Dodge 3500 CTD 6 sp Quad Cab Bighorn
04 Laredo 29GS
06 Arctic Fox 245N
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Auto insurance rebates, 10 year permits, & other questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS